BIG 10 ONLY PLAYING CONFERENCE GAMES

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

RanDux
Senior

Re: BIG 10 ONLY PLAYING CONFERENCE GAMES

Post by RanDux »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
Biggus Duckus wrote:Are you saying you want schools to open up as well as football games? Because it sounds like you're saying you want schools to open up as well as football games.

Just wanted to clarify before I call you a fucking idiot.
Schools are to me the top priority for opening up. My wife works with kids, we see how rough a lot of kids have it and places like schools and Churches is a safe place for them. There’s a lot more child abuse and neglect than people realize, especially in Lane County.

Regarding football, that’s like bottom of the priority list. I’m ok with changes being made this season to be safe. Selfishly I’d like there to be a world where football could be played safely, but I’m aware that may not happen, but I do believe there is a way to go about it safely and let the players decide for themselves after being properly educated regarding Covid-19 and the dangers it brings.

But to answer your question, I truly want and believe schools should be open this fall with safety guidelines (such as clear masks or shields required as well as no physical contact) and I just want an ideal world will football can happen. Does that make sense? I’m aware the two are nowhere near comparable.
Have you not read the disasters they have already had with the summer camps that have chosen to move forward?
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

RanDux wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
Biggus Duckus wrote:Are you saying you want schools to open up as well as football games? Because it sounds like you're saying you want schools to open up as well as football games.

Schools are to me the top priority for opening up. My wife works with kids, we see how rough a lot of kids have it and places like schools and Churches is a safe place for them. There’s a lot more child abuse and neglect than people realize, especially in Lane County.

Regarding football, that’s like bottom of the priority list. I’m ok with changes being made this season to be safe. Selfishly I’d like there to be a world where football could be played safely, but I’m aware that may not happen, but I do believe there is a way to go about it safely and let the players decide for themselves after being properly educated regarding Covid-19 and the dangers it brings.

But to answer your question, I truly want and believe schools should be open this fall with safety guidelines (such as clear masks or shields required as well as no physical contact) and I just want an ideal world will football can happen. Does that make sense? I’m aware the two are nowhere near comparable.
Have you not read the disasters they have already had with the summer camps that have chosen to move forward?
Have you not heard of the economic and relational disasters they have already with closing the economy and schools?
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
RanDux wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:

Have you not heard of the economic and relational disasters they have already with closing the economy and schools?
The economic and relational disasters are significant, but not on par with the deaths from this virus.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

RanDux wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
RanDux wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:

The economic and relational disasters are significant, but not on par with the deaths from this virus.

I disagree, the increase in child/domestic abuse and homelessness is a bigger concern from my perspective. But both need to be taken seriously and we need to find a middle ground.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
RanDux wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
RanDux wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:

I disagree, the increase in child/domestic abuse and homelessness is a bigger concern from my perspective. But both need to be taken seriously and we need to find a middle ground.
82 Covid-19 cases out of just one summer camp in Missouri. Those kids all returned home and put their families at risk. Probably will be plenty of deaths. This virus is not something to mess around with.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

RanDux wrote: 82 Covid-19 cases out of just one summer camp in Missouri. Those kids all returned home and put their families at risk. Probably will be plenty of deaths. This virus is not something to mess around with.
Something like 162+ covid cases from the Pacific Seafood plant in Newport 5 weeks ago. 0 deaths.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

OregonFan4Life wrote: I disagree, the increase in child/domestic abuse and homelessness is a bigger concern from my perspective. But both need to be taken seriously and we need to find a middle ground.
OF4L, you keep citing increased child abuse as a result of schools not being in session. Is this something with empirical or something that could-maybe-might-possibly be true? Attach a source, if you can, please.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

StevensTechU wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote: I disagree, the increase in child/domestic abuse and homelessness is a bigger concern from my perspective. But both need to be taken seriously and we need to find a middle ground.
OF4L, you keep citing increased child abuse as a result of schools not being in session. Is this something with empirical or something that could-maybe-might-possibly be true? Attach a source, if you can, please.
Sources were people working in foster care both locally and in the Bay Area who were connections with my wife. Second, a quick google search found articles early on saying abuse reports and child abuse related injuries have increased during the closures.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatod ... 3116395001

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... own-orders

Child abuse is real! And unfortunately a lot are reported in the schools, so it’s hard to find empirical data considering schools have been closed. But just googling this will find lots of articles by experts who share the same sentiment as myself, the fear of child/domestic abuse rising during schools and economic closures even without them being reported substantially more.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

RanDux, what kind of summer camp was this? Was this a camp for children in need or just a normal summer camp parents pay money for their kids to go to? Summer camps and schools are different things.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

OregonFan4Life wrote:RanDux, what kind of summer camp was this? Was this a camp for children in need or just a normal summer camp parents pay money for their kids to go to? Summer camps and schools are different things.
Here is the link: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/da ... k-missouri
It sounds like they were taking some measures, but not sure if they were completely social-distancing. Kids will be kids. At the store I work at I would guess that less than 5% of my customers attempt to follow CDC guidelines on social distancing, and these are adults. They crowd right next to me all day without giving me a chance to move out of their way. It is frustrating. Most of the customers just don't care. That is why I am not surprised at how bad things are spiking here, compared to other countries. BTW a couple YMCA camps had similar results.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

RanDux wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:RanDux, what kind of summer camp was this? Was this a camp for children in need or just a normal summer camp parents pay money for their kids to go to? Summer camps and schools are different things.
It sounds like they were taking some measures, but not sure if they were completely social-distancing. Kids will be kids. At the store I work at I would guess that less than 5% of my customers attempt to follow CDC guidelines on social distancing, and these are adults. They crowd right next to me all day without giving me a chance to move out of their way. It is frustrating. Most of the customers just don't care. That is why I am not surprised at how bad things are spiking here, compared to other countries. BTW a couple YMCA camps had similar results.
That is so stupid and frustrating. All of these selfish people not caring about others and ignoring guidelines are why we can’t have nice things in this country. While I’m all for schools opening with safety guidelines, and I’m sick of seeing so many groups and events open up very carelessly, especially in the Church community and I’m a strong Christians and my wife is a licensed minister. Only things I believe should be opened up are those that are necessary with strong guidelines to try and keep people as safe as possible. Churches don’t need to open up yet, as frustrating as it is, we can survive with online Church, and those who can work at home SHOULD.
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Post by Zyme »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
RanDux wrote:
That is so stupid and frustrating. All of these selfish people not caring about others and ignoring guidelines are why we can’t have nice things in this country. While I’m all for schools opening with safety guidelines, and I’m sick of seeing so many groups and events open up very carelessly, especially in the Church community and I’m a strong Christians and my wife is a licensed minister. Only things I believe should be opened up are those that are necessary with strong guidelines to try and keep people as safe as possible. Churches don’t need to open up yet, as frustrating as it is, we can survive with online Church, and those who can work at home SHOULD.
I'm a nurse who has been on the front lines since this started. Sadly since the vaccine best case is several months out, probably a half year for anyone outside the in-patient medical profession. One of the biggest problems from the mask is the CDC sending mixed messaging combed with the classic American "you cannot tell me what to do" attitude has led many to not take the simplest of precautions. Wear a mask as if you are sick and distance you drastically decrease the transmission rate as even if this is partially airborne, parts are carried on the droplets we put out, a mask will catch the vast majority. The mask with washing of hands is the #1/1a easiest ways to decrease transmission.

At this point, especially considering the strong antivax community, we probably are stuck until we get herd immunity (can be 50-90% prevalence in a population depending on the particular affliction). The effects of COVID19 on the body can be bad and long term even ignoring mortality, especially permanent kidney damage and lung damage (even among young people). Yes that sadly letting it run it's course to get to herd immunity may be the only way at this point asto make this endemic (for example it is likely near 100% of people have herpes 1 aka cold sores but most are asymptomatic due to the virulence and prevalence of cold sores in human populations). The point of isolating as best as possible is to buffer the medical system, to not let it get overwhelmed. The entire point of flattening the curve was not to stop people from getting infected, but to spread out the time over which the infection took place and allow the medical system to stay within capacity. If you want to go full Houston or NYC with ICUs at 100% capacity and rationing of care, by all means open everything up.

I know I'm bummed out about losing sports. I firmly believe there is a balance to be struck, but a desire for Bread and Circuses at the expense of overwhelming the medical system and people's health is a poor trade. I will be here to care for you whatever decision you make, but please at least wash your hands, wear a mask and wash your damn hands.
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
Sources were people working in foster care both locally and in the Bay Area who were connections with my wife. Second, a quick google search found articles early on saying abuse reports and child abuse related injuries have increased during the closures.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatod ... 3116395001

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... own-orders

Child abuse is real! And unfortunately a lot are reported in the schools, so it’s hard to find empirical data considering schools have been closed. But just googling this will find lots of articles by experts who share the same sentiment as myself, the fear of child/domestic abuse rising during schools and economic closures even without them being reported substantially more.
Appreciate the supporting evidence. As someone who grew up in a household with child abuse, I'm sensitive to the topic. I also consider how many of my classmates lived with their grandparents who might be lose their guardians if they were to get sick, so it appears to be a no-win situation.