2020 College Football Playoff Scenario

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

SuperDuck
Senior

2020 College Football Playoff Scenario

Post by SuperDuck »

I just had a thought thought could stir up a lot of controversy if it were to happen next week.

The current Top Four Playoff teams are:

1. Alabama
2. Notre Dame
3. Clemson
4. Ohio State

5. Texas A&M
6. Florida

Next week Alabama plays Florida and Clemson and Notre Dame will likely have a rematch.

The thought of Clemson winning a close game over Notre Dame should be enough to keep them both in the Top-4 because they would have split 2 close games vs each other.

Now's where it get's interesting. If Alabama beats Florida, it's game, set, match. Alabama and Ohio State, assuming they win out, would be the other 2 teams.

But what would happen if Florida beat Alabama? That would leave both of them plus Texas A&M, who beat Florida, all with one loss each. I don't see any way the Committee would leave Alabama out, so that would take up a third slot. But if Florida wins they'd be the SEC champions, so how can you leave them out?

That leaves two teams that would be deserving, but left out in the cold...Texas A&M and Ohio State.

A&M would have the argument that they only lost one game, too, to Alabama, and that they beat one loss Florida. That's a sound argument, but I don't see any way the Committee would select 3 SEC teams. That would leave them as the odd man out.

Ohio State's case would be much weaker due to the number of games they've currently played (5). They may be unbeaten, but they just don't have the resume that the other teams do.

That said, if Notre Dame were to beat Clemson a second time, Ohio State would almost certainly jump Texas A&M for the 4th spot. On the other hand, if Alabama beats Florida, as well, that would likely put A&M in the field.

Outside of those teams there aren't any real contenders. Iowa State is #7 but they have 2 losses. Cincinnati is unbeaten, but they're SOS wouldn't be high enough to jump any of the other schools.

Let the cards fall where they may.
John 3:36
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Re: 2020 College Football Playoff Scenario

Post by ducks5ever »

I wonder if both Clemson and Notre Dame will be in regardless of who wins tonight. It looks like A&M is the first team on the outside and they're pretty good but A&M will still get wacked by Alabama again if they get the 4 seed.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

SuperDuck wrote:I just had a thought thought could stir up a lot of controversy if it were to happen next week.

1. Alabama
2. Notre Dame
3. Clemson
4. Ohio State

5. Texas A&M
6. Florida

Next week Alabama plays Florida and Clemson and Notre Dame will likely have a rematch.

The thought of Clemson winning a close game over Notre Dame should be enough to keep them both in the Top-4 because they would have split 2 close games vs each other.

Now's where it get's interesting. If Alabama beats Florida, it's game, set, match. Alabama and Ohio State, assuming they win out, would be the other 2 teams.

But what would happen if Florida beat Alabama? That would leave both of them plus Texas A&M, who beat Florida, all with one loss each. I don't see any way the Committee would leave Alabama out, so that would take up a third slot. But if Florida wins they'd be the SEC champions, so how can you leave them out?

That leaves two teams that would be deserving, but left out in the cold...Texas A&M and Ohio State.

A&M would have the argument that they only lost one game, too, to Alabama, and that they beat one loss Florida. That's a sound argument, but I don't see any way the Committee would select 3 SEC teams. That would leave them as the odd man out.

Ohio State's case would be much weaker due to the number of games they've currently played (5). They may be unbeaten, but they just don't have the resume that the other teams do.

That said, if Notre Dame were to beat Clemson a second time, Ohio State would almost certainly jump Texas A&M for the 4th spot. On the other hand, if Alabama beats Florida, as well, that would likely put A&M in the field.

Outside of those teams there aren't any real contenders. Iowa State is #7 but they have 2 losses. Cincinnati is unbeaten, but they're SOS wouldn't be high enough to jump any of the other schools.

Ain’t. Gonna. Happen. 1,2,3 and 4 will all be in. Bet on it.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

nogerO wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:I just had a thought thought could stir up a lot of controversy if it were to happen next week.

1. Alabama
2. Notre Dame
3. Clemson
4. Ohio State

5. Texas A&M
6. Florida

Ain’t. Gonna. Happen. 1,2,3 and 4 will all be in. Bet on it.
probably, but number 4 is losing at halftime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro