Gus Malzahn Fired At Auburn (Would Cristobal Leave?)

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

SuperDuck
Senior

Gus Malzahn Fired At Auburn (Would Cristobal Leave?)

Post by SuperDuck »

I just read that Auburn has fired Gus Malzahn.

https://sports.yahoo.com/auburn-fires-h ... 38860.html

Mario Cristobol was mentioned as a top candidate to replace him. That would really suck.

Other candidates include Bill O'Brien, Hugh Freeze, Dan Quinn, Billy Napier, Brent Venables, Scott Satterfield, Tony Elliott and Mike Gundy.
John 3:36
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Re: Gus Malzahn Fired At Auburn (Would Cristobol Leave?)

Post by karlhungis »

Their fans sure seem to think he is a top pick. I can't imagine him leaving for Auburn but I wouldn't be surprised if he uses it as leverage for a pay raise.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

^ MC would be foolish to not use this as a chance to probably at least double his pay.

I think Hugh feeeze ends up being the guy.
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

My gut feeling is Cristobal is content with where he is, and wouldn't Slick Willie us for a "dream job." It would be nice to not have to live through coaching carousel each year like Chip Kelly always put us through.
lukeyrid13
All-American

Post by lukeyrid13 »

If we lost MC, it’s because Mullens was afraid of the Twitter mob.

We as a country/populous kowtow far too much to keyboard warriors; most of whom don’t know a thing about college football or how much being a top team actually BRINGS revenue to their state(s).
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

Sounds like the Auburn players are quite upset, seems they really loved Gus as a coach and mentor to them. That sucks, and really sets up the next coach for trouble in gaining respect in that locker room.
Jesseisabeast
One Star Recruit

Post by Jesseisabeast »

Wanna know the difference between the Pac 12 and the SEC? The Pac 12 is just fine with canceled games. I’ve heard many many many times that this season is a throw away and doesn’t even count....but Auburn just fired their coach that went 6-4, had a career record of 68-34, and they’re gonna pay him $21 million because 6-4 isn’t good enough in a division that has Alabama, 6th ranked Texas AM, and the defending Nat’l Champs LSU. Oh and they also played Georgia and Florida.

The question really is does Mario wanna play with and against the best and get PAID...and contend with those expectations and pressure that come with them? Or is content here where the gap go be relevant is growing wider every day
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Jesseisabeast wrote:Wanna know the difference between the Pac 12 and the SEC? The Pac 12 is just fine with canceled games. I’ve heard many many many times that this season is a throw away and doesn’t even count....but Auburn just fired their coach that went 6-4, had a career record of 68-34, and they’re gonna pay him $21 million because 6-4 isn’t good enough in a division that has Alabama, 6th ranked Texas AM, and the defending Nat’l Champs LSU. Oh and they also played Georgia and Florida.

The question really is does Mario wanna play with and against the best and get PAID...and contend with those expectations and pressure that come with them? Or is content here where the gap go be relevant is growing wider every day
Yep. The expectations are high and so is the competition. He's got a good thing going at Oregon and can easily build a powerhouse program here in the next 1-2 years. Even though USC, Colorado, UCLA, etc may be improving, the North shouldn't be nearly as difficult as the South Division. It's a cakewalk compared to the SEC West.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

By the way, Malzahn won't be unemployed for long. Someone will snatch him up soon. I think that the Mississippi and/or Mississippi State jobs will be open because I think either Kiffin or Leach may jump to Arizona. That would leave a great opportunity for Malzahn.

Of course, the Vanderbilt job is open, but that's a no man's land for most coaches.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Sounds like Kentucky is trying to poach Moorehead.

https://www.aseaofblue.com/platform/amp ... oordinator
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

karlhungis wrote:Sounds like Kentucky is trying to poach Moorehead.

https://www.aseaofblue.com/platform/amp ... oordinator
Guy makes over a million a year as coordinator. Not happening unless there's some problems between him and Cristobal ala Jim Leavitt.
lukeyrid13
All-American

Post by lukeyrid13 »

^ Kentucky can want Moorhead but that doesn’t mean much

I’m a real estate agent and I want to only list 10 million dollar houses. Both have the same odds
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

The thing about Auburn firing Malzahn is that due to TV contracts the SEC schools have so much extra cash that they can do dumb things financially like this and its okay.
OreDucks01284
Senior

Post by OreDucks01284 »

To think that Cristobal was this close leaving to Auburn if it wasn't for the announcement that Oregon will be playing in pac 12 champ game. This got me nervous.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wde/comments/k ... erm=ken3sf

From my inside source
Text number 1: Raymond Harbert paid Gus’s buyout in full. Gus was fired. Cristobal was lined up to take the job on Monday, but the Pac12 put them in the championship game so he told auburn that he wasn’t making a decision until the game was played. This gave Oregon time to come back with a counter offer to keep him. Harbert apparently wanted Steele the whole time and has rallied the big money troops to support Steele. Steele has been going behind Gus’s back for 2 years lobbying for this to happen allegedly. So as it stands, Hugh Freeze was never in the picture, Cristobal is out at the moment, and the only other candidate is Sarkisian."

Text 2:UPDATE*

Harbert wasn’t the only one who paid the buyout. He paid a portion of it, and he should bc he’s part of the idiot group who signed Gus to the deal. There are 5-10 who paid the buyout out of pocket, none came from AU. Allen Greene and some of the other boosters wants Mario, but it’s going to be pricey. Word has it AG has enough to cover it, but it would be without Harbert/Rane/ a few others. And he’s not the feather ruffling type.

Cristobal info is accurate, but he’s not off the table yet. Tomorrow is the big day. If we survive tomorrow without him signing an extension I think he comes. Would be Saturday mid day announcement. Allen Greene and some of the other boosters wants Mario, but it’s going to be pricey.

Harbert and Rane want Steele bc they can control him. But he hasn’t been a HC in 18 years and he was trash when he was. He would bring Jack crap to the program and some very meh staffers. But as of today he is the #1 bc our $$ guys are dumb as bricks

Other names with potential are Sark and Tony Elliott but I doubt we would even get that far.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I didn't realize the buyout on Mario was $8 million. So Auburn wants to pay the $21.45 million buyout on Malzahn, a new fat multi-year contract for Mario AND the $8 million buyout? Talk about an economy-boosting stimulus package. Sheesh.

Anyway, it sounds like 'surviving tomorrow without him signing an extension' isn't in the cards, so Auburn will just have to look elsewhere.