I am ready for Condoleezza Rice

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

I am ready for Condoleezza Rice

Post by Alan »

I am so tired of the inept leadership of the pack 12, no matter what Scott does, it’s a mess! I don’t care what the buyout is, get them out now! Get a good professional organizer with background and sports especially football, and yes Rice is in that category, she served on the playoff committee, he is a Stanford grad, served in the White House. Has great organizational skills. Clean house on the pack 12 refs, hold them accountable for making the Pac 12 a l laughingstock when it comes to the other conferences. Get the pack 12 budget under control, move out of their offices in San Francisco, disperse funds amongst the schools to get the pack 12 on a level playing field with the other power 5 conferences. I like rice, but I’m sure there’s others, any thoughts? Just get Larry Scott out by the end of January!
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: I am ready for Condoleezza Rice

Post by StevensTechU »

I really don't have any clue why the Pac-12 school presidents are not making things happen. Are they just that unsophisticated, business-wise, that they don't see it? It's like they're on a sinking ship and are still checking out the views.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I'd personally much rather her be the US President over the current one and the one to take over soon but Pac-12 president over Larry Scott would certainly be very nice as well!
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I still don't understand the vitriol for Condoleeza Rice that has taken place over the past 15-20 years. She is an incredibly smart person who has never said or done anything controversial IMO.

I'm actually a bit surprised she hasn't pushed harder for high publicity political positions in the past decade or so.

So yes, I would think she would be overly qualified and 100x better than Larry Scott. She would actually fight for the conference, and not just misuse her position to her own benefit.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I still don't understand the vitriol for Condoleeza Rice that has taken place over the past 15-20 years. She is an incredibly smart person who has never said or done anything controversial IMO.

I'm actually a bit surprised she hasn't pushed harder for high publicity political positions in the past decade or so.

So yes, I would think she would be overly qualified and 100x better than Larry Scott. She would actually fight for the conference, and not just misuse her position to her own benefit.
Of all the people who supported the bs Iraq War, she is not among the upper echelon of those to blame, complicit though she may have been.

Frankly, in a role such as League Commissioner, I think she'd be great.
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I still don't understand the vitriol for Condoleeza Rice that has taken place over the past 15-20 years. She is an incredibly smart person who has never said or done anything controversial IMO.

She's an inteligent woman POC in power. That may not bother you or me, but it cannot be discounted.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Not dissing Rice at all. But does being a government employee (even high ranking) guarantee the biz acumen to steer this ship? Yeah, connections may be there, but I would like to see someone with success and history as a biz CEO. I love Rice, just not sure what she has done in the years since she left her gov position to merit running the PAC. Educate me please.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Everythingsducky wrote:Not dissing Rice at all. But does being a government employee (even high ranking) guarantee the biz acumen to steer this ship? Yeah, connections may be there, but I would like to see someone with success and history as a biz CEO. I love Rice, just not sure what she has done in the years since she left her gov position to merit running the PAC. Educate me please.
Well Larry Scott had a lot of success in Tennis but that didn't mean squat. She served for 3 years on the CFP Committee and has been a professor at Stanford in the Business department in addition to serving on numerous boards.

I don't believe the issues with the Conference are related to the business side of things but rather the personal and human qualities that suffered with a feckless AD like Tom Hansen and now Larry Scott. I think she is a very dynamic person who is a very straight-forward and direct speaker and that having been in positions where your decisions hold even greater weight, I'd much rather put my faith in her to lead the Conference forward than someone who simply ran a business well. Also, while it is a tertiary issue, I believe that her being a woman of color is something to consider when every AD is an old white guy.

A sports conference frankly is less like a business in many ways than it is some coalition of schools that join together but also seek to beat/undermine their opponents however they can.