Portland Trail Blazers 2020/21 Thread

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Portland Trail Blazers 2020/21 Thread

Post by Boom »

NBA offseason is starting. Can blazers upgrade their roster this week? They’re in desperate need of some 3&D wings.
Phalanx
Senior

Re: Portland Trail Blazers 2019/20 Thread

Post by Phalanx »

Boom wrote:NBA offseason is starting. Can blazers upgrade their roster this week? They’re in desperate need of some 3&D wings.
Well, you got your wish. Blazers trade away their next two 1st round picks and Ariza for Robert Covington. He seems like a real player in his prime-ish, and he will help on defense. That's about the best face I can put on it: they just got rid of two 1st round picks, which mortgages the future and continues the salary cap problems, they did nothing for their lack of depth, having traded Ariza away, and they are still first-round fodder at best with no hope of changing that status via good/lucky drafting. Wake me up in five years.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Phalanx wrote:
Boom wrote:NBA offseason is starting. Can blazers upgrade their roster this week? They’re in desperate need of some 3&D wings.
Well, you got your wish. Blazers trade away their next two 1st round picks and Ariza for Robert Covington. He seems like a real player in his prime-ish, and he will help on defense. That's about the best face I can put on it: they just got rid of two 1st round picks, which mortgages the future and continues the salary cap problems, they did nothing for their lack of depth, having traded Ariza away, and they are still first-round fodder at best with no hope of changing that status via good/lucky drafting. Wake me up in five years.
Anything about what this does for the future is absurd because they are playing for now. If/When that time comes, how many young players and picks will Dame and CJ bring back? There is no magic trade waiting to happen that makes the Blazers actual contenders so that when they decide its time to rebuild, they'll have assets to trade to restart the journey.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I’m honestly fine knowing this version will never win a title

I’m glad we got 10 years of drexler and a lot of deep playoff runs

And I thoroughly enjoyed the WCF trip last year in spite of knowing there was 0 chance they’d win the title. I feel different about college football, but you could spend decades waiting for the right superstar(s) to come your way and win a title.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I tend to think that Portland will make another move with 1 or 2 of Simons/Little/Collins and Whiteside for another veteran 4 like Blake Griffin (makes me queasy with the variability of that move) after the draft.

I'd love to see PP end up on a 2nd unit for Portland with Trent, Hood, Melo/Millsap? and Collins.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Duck07 wrote:
I'd love to see PP end up on a 2nd unit for Portland with Trent, Hood, Melo/Millsap? and Collins.
I would not hate that.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Duck07 wrote: Anything about what this does for the future is absurd because they are playing for now. If/When that time comes, how many young players and picks will Dame and CJ bring back? There is no magic trade waiting to happen that makes the Blazers actual contenders so that when they decide its time to rebuild, they'll have assets to trade to restart the journey.
Yeah, I get the 'win now' thing - that's pretty obvious, although they aren't going to win, so it should actually be called 'lose now'. Olshey is always running the team at a salary cap deficit, paying two guys and dead player contracts most of the salary cap, and therefore will never be able to field a team deep enough to contend. The only way out of that is to draft well, locking in players who play above their cheap, multi-year rookie deals. But Olshey just traded away that possibility in his quest to remain a perpetual 8-seed, because he thinks that making the playoffs in a league where over half the teams make the postseason is some kind of great accomplishment.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

Phalanx wrote:
Well, you got your wish. Blazers trade away their next two 1st round picks and Ariza for Robert Covington. He seems like a real player in his prime-ish, and he will help on defense. That's about the best face I can put on it: they just got rid of two 1st round picks, which mortgages the future and continues the salary cap problems, they did nothing for their lack of depth, having traded Ariza away, and they are still first-round fodder at best with no hope of changing that status via good/lucky drafting.
He wasn’t going to draft a player better than Covington. Most draft picks flame out. Blazers need 1 more forward(Milsap?) and they should have plenty of depth.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Millsap is falling off from where he was, but he would be a very solid MLE pickup
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

With the #16 pick in the draft, the blazers select PF/C Isaiah Stewart from poo-dub. (He'll be shipped to Detroit, via Houston, in the trade that brings Robert Covington to Portland)
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

In the 2nd round, they select CJ Elleby out of Washington State.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Nico Mannion was still on the board, and Golden State snapped him up two picks after the Blazers drafted. I wonder why he fell so far, and if the Blazers will regret not getting him.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Phalanx wrote:Nico Mannion was still on the board, and Golden State snapped him up two picks after the Blazers drafted. I wonder why he fell so far, and if the Blazers will regret not getting him.
Its okay to say the Blazers couged it tonight.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

Not a fan of the pick, but this was a week draft.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Blazers upgrade their frontcourt depth by getting Enes Kanter back in a trade that involved their traded player exception and getting rid of Mario Hezonjia. Still got their MLE and BAE, a potential S&T involving Whiteside, and the ability to re-sign Hood and/or Melo.