Portland Trail Blazers 2020/21 Thread

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Re: Portland Trail Blazers 2020/21 Thread

Post by Boom »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:What are the chances the Blazers pick up Cousins?
I’d be pretty surprised if Cousins chose Portland. Nurk will be back at some point and Kanter has cemented his role.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Seems sort of like a lateral move but it does save Portland $1 million in salary and helps reduce the amount of players stuck in the 2/3 spot. Powell's stats do show he's a better shooter, shot creator, and defender than either Trent or Hood so maybe it will work out like they think.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Trent was probably going to sign a ridiculous offer sheet that the Blazers wouldn't be able to match, so they went for the rental on the player that is better now, while also jettisoning Hood, who looks like he would be due some money if they had to waive him. This move probably helps the Blazers the rest of this year, and as you say, they saved a little money as well. Seems like a good move, I guess, if Powell is better than Trent.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

All it is in the end is a move to make a move for a position that isn't needed. It does force Stotts to play Little more but it doesn't do anything to address the real needs.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I'm glad they offloaded Hood. Post-injury, just hasn't been a big enough contributor.

Maybe "annoyed" is the right word in how I feel about getting rid of Trent Jr. If I had my druthers, I would've traded CJ (Dame as the face of the team is just too much to get rid of) to a team like the Pistons or Knicks, who desperately need a scorer, and found a way to turn that into draft picks and Aaron Gordon or another talented big. Then you have a starting lineup of Nurk, AG, Covington, Trent Jr and Dame, with enough money to pay Trent Jr in free agency plus picks. You get a step down in offense going from CJ to Trent, but you get better defense plus your future beyond this year looks a lot brighter.

Is there enough interest for that to have actually happened? Obviously I don't know. But seeing what Denver sent to Orlando for Gordon makes me think it's realistic. Would have to see how the money aligned.

I'm just not totally onboard with this strategy of 'bring in a 3 and D guy who can make us forget that CJ and Dame are awful defenders.' It didn't work with Harkless. Didn't work with Covington. Not going to work with Powell. One guy can't cover up for how little those two try on defense.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

It would be a great set-up move for a last-minute free agent signing of a post player though. I don't think they will miss hood that much - he really hasn't been playing well.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

greenyellow wrote:Seems sort of like a lateral move but it does save Portland $1 million in salary and helps reduce the amount of players stuck in the 2/3 spot. Powell's stats do show he's a better shooter, shot creator, and defender than either Trent or Hood so maybe it will work out like they think.
It’s definitely not a lateral move. Trent Jr has turned into a nice player, but he had some significant limitations and it’s really hard to play him when CJ and Dame are on the court.

With CJ back on the flour I could see Powell stealing minutes from Derick Jones and that could be significant.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

CJ for Ben Simmons makes a lot of sense for both teams. Especially if Blazers resign Norman Powell. Does it happen?
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Boom wrote:CJ for Ben Simmons makes a lot of sense for both teams. Especially if Blazers resign Norman Powell. Does it happen?
I hope so. Due to age, I think Simmons still holds more value, and I think Blazers should add in maybe 2 pick swaps, but it's the most perfect trade that I see out there for Portland.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Boom wrote:CJ for Ben Simmons makes a lot of sense for both teams. Especially if Blazers resign Norman Powell. Does it happen?
I know what CJ would add to Philadelphia, but it's not as obvious to me what Simmons adds to Portland. Defense? $30M is a lot of money to pay someone for defense.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

StevensTechU wrote:
I know what CJ would add to Philadelphia, but it's not as obvious to me what Simmons adds to Portland. Defense? $30M is a lot of money to pay someone for defense.
It's not like CJ is earning his paycheck.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

karlhungis wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
With Portland, Simmons won't run point, so his stats will take a major slide. With an inability to spread the floor as a shooter, I just am not sure I totally understand it. He can be the ball handler at times but overall I'm imagining him being a forward who can't shoot. I'm open to being talked into it because we have a pretty clear ceiling with CJ, but the fit isn't obvious to me.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

StevensTechU wrote:
karlhungis wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
With Portland, Simmons won't run point, so his stats will take a major slide. With an inability to spread the floor as a shooter, I just am not sure I totally understand it. He can be the ball handler at times but overall I'm imagining him being a forward who can't shoot. I'm open to being talked into it because we have a pretty clear ceiling with CJ, but the fit isn't obvious to me.
I think he would be best suited in a Dreymond Green type role. He could be our center if they decide to move Nurk or wasn’t able to resign him.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Simmons can: pass, rebound, play all-league defense, help Lillard play off ball.

The Blazers don't need more scoring, they need a well rounded player like Simmons.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Simmons can: pass, rebound, play all-league defense, help Lillard play off ball.

The Blazers don't need more scoring, they need a well rounded player like Simmons.
Agreed, but you have to pull him in tight games with less than 4 minutes remaining. He sealed his doom as a Hack-a-Simmons. So you lose all the above in the most meaningful part of the game. Hopefully he regains whatever confidence necessary, cuz he crapped the bed for all the world to see.