Next Blazer coach? And Danny Ainge

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Next Blazer coach? And Danny Ainge

Post by Alan »

I would love to see Danny Ainge in to replace Olshey, anyone hearing if there is much of a chance? It is the right time to replace both the coach and GM.
mrpd21
Five Star Recruit

Re: Next Blazer coach? And Danny Ainge

Post by mrpd21 »

I wouldn't mind Mark Jackson getting a shot as coach. Kerr won rings with MJ's guys and Mark stayed (at least in the public eye) quite humble and graceful about it. I like him and think that the players would love playing for him, and he could get a shot at title redemption with the Blazers if they tune up this team. I have heard a couple rumors about some not getting along with him but I am not sure.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Ainge seems to need a break.

Masai Ujiri is the person to go after right now while the Raptors twiddle their thumbs but it would involved canning Neil and "risking" that Ujiri would remain in Toronto.

David Vanterpool, Ime Udoka, Becky Hammon and Dawn Staley should all get interviews. The rest of the names are mostly retreads, to say nothing of some of their past incidents and how people feel about that.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Lillard in with a Jason Kidd endorsement.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

GrandpaDuck wrote:Lillard in with a Jason Kidd endorsement.

No thanks. If they hire Kidd it would be like rooting for the jail blazers again. Kidd is a pos.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Haha, Kidd took one look at the situation in Portland and politely declined.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jason-kidd ... 54130.html

I wonder who Lillard and his agent will select next.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Phalanx wrote:Haha, Kidd took one look at the situation in Portland and politely declined.

I doubt that’s the case. More like he was told they wouldn’t be hiring him, due to his past. And pulled his name from consideration.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Kidd pulling his name out does Lillard a big favor. It lessens the pressure on the hire a bit and removes doubts about Lillard's judgement.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Yeah, I'm glad that blew over quickly.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

buckmarkduck wrote:
Phalanx wrote:Haha, Kidd took one look at the situation in Portland and politely declined.

I doubt that’s the case. More like he was told they wouldn’t be hiring him, due to his past. And pulled his name from consideration.
According to Woj: "The public nature of Lillard's endorsement left Kidd feeling he would put both Lillard and Portland's process in an awkward circumstance should he pursue the opening." That seems plausible to me. Lillard spoke out of turn when he mentioned Kidd. People are citing old domestic abuse charges from 20 years ago and a driving while intoxicated from 2012. He's had two head coaching gigs since then and been an assistant with the Lakers. I think the league is more or less over it. I don't think he would be dismissed out of hand for that, but I guess it's possible.

If I was a head coach, I would take a look at the payroll and realize it's pretty much a no-win situation. Either you keep Lillard and have no ability to add talent to the team (no draft, no money for free agents) or Lillard gets traded and the rebuild begins. Either way, the new coach is set up for failure. I will be very surprised if any of the top available names want to coach in Portland for the foreseeable future.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Phalanx wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:

According to Woj: "The public nature of Lillard's endorsement left Kidd feeling he would put both Lillard and Portland's process in an awkward circumstance should he pursue the opening." That seems plausible to me. Lillard spoke out of turn when he mentioned Kidd. People are citing old domestic abuse charges from 20 years ago and a driving while intoxicated from 2012. He's had two head coaching gigs since then and been an assistant with the Lakers. I think the league is more or less over it. I don't think he would be dismissed out of hand for that, but I guess it's possible.

If I was a head coach, I would take a look at the payroll and realize it's pretty much a no-win situation. Either you keep Lillard and have no ability to add talent to the team (no draft, no money for free agents) or Lillard gets traded and the rebuild begins. Either way, the new coach is set up for failure. I will be very surprised if any of the top available names want to coach in Portland for the foreseeable future.
While Lillard is owed a ton of money, that's a pretty dumb thing to say. Even if Portland isn't willing to trade Lillard, I think they're at a point that they're willing to trade McCollum and nurkic, both of which are large salaries and can bring plenty back in return
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

squintsdd wrote: While Lillard is owed a ton of money, that's a pretty dumb thing to say. Even if Portland isn't willing to trade Lillard, I think they're at a point that they're willing to trade McCollum and nurkic, both of which are large salaries and can bring plenty back in return
At this point, if Olshey can get some sucker to take McCollum off the books with more than a ham sandwich in return, I will be very pleasantly surprised. If they do trade him, it will likely be for another problem. Meanwhile, trading Nurkic would be about the stupidest thing they could do. Who will play center in that case?
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

One of the weekend talk shows mentioned Kidd dropped out may have been due to the shake up that may fallow after the Suns beating Lakers........ waiting on a possible HC job? Much of our problem is with the GM, he painted the Blazers into a corner with the high payroll. I believe Danny needs a break but I wonder if Portland GM job would interest him under his terms, bringing his family home and everything included.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Phalanx wrote:
squintsdd wrote: While Lillard is owed a ton of money, that's a pretty dumb thing to say. Even if Portland isn't willing to trade Lillard, I think they're at a point that they're willing to trade McCollum and nurkic, both of which are large salaries and can bring plenty back in return
At this point, if Olshey can get some sucker to take McCollum off the books with more than a ham sandwich in return, I will be very pleasantly surprised. If they do trade him, it will likely be for another problem. Meanwhile, trading Nurkic would be about the stupidest thing they could do. Who will play center in that case?
Well it's not like nurkic has been playing center a whole lot the past 2 seasons, and when he does he doesn't look nearly the same as before he broke his leg
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

squintsdd wrote: Well it's not like nurkic has been playing center a whole lot the past 2 seasons, and when he does he doesn't look nearly the same as before he broke his leg
This is a funny comment from someone who thinks that trading Nurkic will bring 'plenty back in return'.

As for McCollum:
But, unfortunately for Portland, a trade package for McCollum will likely be underwhelming.

McCollum enters year-one of a three-year, $100 million contract extension next season, which appears to be an overpay.

The Athletic's John Hollinger reports "most of the league sees him as a slightly negative value at that money" even if he's a "plus starter." Hollinger's BORD$ valuation has McCollum giving $26.6 million of value next season based on his 2020-21 season.
https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/tra ... around-nba

Salary matters. I'd love to trade McCollum and get some player making the same money who would actually contribute like a max player, but it is not likely that other teams are going to do that deal. If Olshey can swing a trade like that, I will take it all back.