Brian Kelly To Michigan...hmmm...(Just a Thought)

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

SuperDuck
Senior

Brian Kelly To Michigan...hmmm...(Just a Thought)

Post by SuperDuck »

I was just sitting here after watching Alabama beat Notre Dame and feeling badly for Brian Kelly.

I'm no recruiting expert, and know little about any restrictions at Notre Dame, but I do recall Mike Belotti referring to Kelly having his hands tied in some areas where other schools don't.

Anyone else know what Belotti was referring to?

After reading the rumors about Jim Harbaugh wanting to return to the NFL next year, Michigan might be a perfect landing spot for Kelly. Like him or not, the guy is a great coach. He won big at Western Michigan and Cincinnati, and he's been in the playoff mix much of the time since he's been at Notre Dame. He just hasn't been able to win the big games in the postseason. That's where the disparity in talent between his teams and other major programs shows.

I think the Michigan folks would salivate at the thought of landing him. Could the timing be right for him to make a jump, if the opportunity were available?

Thoughts?
John 3:36
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Re: Brian Kelly To Michigan...hmmm...(Just a Thought)

Post by alxtw »

He's probably referring to ND requiring higher testing scores and gpa of recruits than that of other D1 schools. (Stanford was the only D1 school I knew that required that of recruits)
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Idk how much truth there is to that, and to the extent they do have higher standards, they've benefited from it by using it as a differentiator with recruits.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

StevensTechU wrote:Idk how much truth there is to that, and to the extent they do have higher standards, they've benefited from it by using it as a differentiator with recruits.
I also wonder how much truth there is in the other D1 schools playing the "we have higher academic acceptance standards" card. (Northwestern, Duke, now ND, etc...)

As for Stanford, one of my buddy's son signed with them to play on their golf team. He was also required to have a good SAT scores and a high GPA. I have no first hand knowledge if those requirements also apply to Stanford football players.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Stanford does have academic requirements that are a cut above. Cal, for instance, has high standards but regularly is granted 'waivers' for athletes and students from challenging backgrounds. Stanford doesn't do the same. One of the reasons you don't see recruits commit to Stanford early in the process is because they're told they need to wait to see if they're admitted to the school first, which usually doesn't happen until their senior year.