OT- Stanford Wrestling

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

OT- Stanford Wrestling

Post by StevensTechU »

Just saw a small report on the espn app about this. Stanford announced almost a year ago that they were going to cut eleven varsity sports, including wrestling. The wrestling alumni and parents responded by raising $12.4 million to endow the program, including enough money to start a women's team, but the university turned them away, in part citing "lack of prospects for future success."

Stanford's Shane Griffith won the 165 pound national title tonight. He wore his singlet inside out in protest.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: OT- Stanford Wrestling

Post by buckmarkduck »

It’s the toughest sport at any school. Yet the first one to get cut. I’ll never forgive UO for cutting wresting to bring back baseball.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I understand it was trying to help women’s college sports which it did, but Title IX was the worst thing for wrestling and other men’s minor varsity sports. I personally believe Title IX should exclude sports that aren’t offered to women from the scholarship rules, like football. If football was excluded from Title IX there’d probably be more wresting teams in the NCAA.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

What's bewildering here is that the wrestling program has raised its own funding and is trying to start a women's team, solving both the financial and title IX issues, yet the university is still saying no. It's beyond frustrating and confusing.
Last edited by StevensTechU on Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I think this is similar to when we dropped wrestling one of the Seniors won a National Title in his weight division in the final year.

Oregon Girls Wrestling is starting to take hold and provide more opportunities for young women. When it comes to Title 9, the football problem is a big one only because there is no like for like sport to balance the numbers out and the school enrollment slightly favors more women enrolled at Oregon and elsewhere typically.