New Pac-12 commissioner announcement soon

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

New Pac-12 commissioner announcement soon

Post by greenyellow »

Sounds like the Pac-12 will have a new commissioner announced tomorrow. I think most Pac-12 fans are worried about them screwing this up.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: New Pac-12 commissioner announcement soon

Post by StevensTechU »

Definitely worried about them screwing it up.

Profit maximizing mind who understands they serve the universities and the student-athletes. C'mon.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Only rumor I've seen is that it's not Oliver Luck, despite fans wanting it. You would think by now there'd be more rumors.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I'd like to really stress that 'splash hires' in business are often ridiculous and fruitless. Ford and Best Buy have recently went after big names and they busted. I should dig for the research, but it's been shown that going after a talented VP is as good a bet as looking for the person who's been there. It's very possible that there may even be some person in the Pac-12 offices who had very different ideas than Larry Scott who is best for the job. Microsoft and Pepsi come to mind as places that elevated someone in the building and it's paid off amazingly.

tl;dr- in business, you don't need big names, they don't really help
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

They've hired George Kliavkoff, president of MGM's Entertainment & Sports business. Interesting.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Seems the presidents valued business acumen over previous college sports experience. We'll see if that works out again since that's what the conference went for in Scott.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Scott didn't have college experience, but it was his crappy business acumen that did him in.

Semi-serious question. If the Pac-12 hired Dana White (President of the UFC), how would people feel about that? I think that's sort of close to what they're getting with this guy. A promoter. Yay? Nay?
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

StevensTechU wrote:Scott didn't have college experience, but it was his crappy business acumen that did him in.

Semi-serious question. If the Pac-12 hired Dana White (President of the UFC), how would people feel about that? I think that's sort of close to what they're getting with this guy. A promoter. Yay? Nay?
I'd be OK with Dana White, we need a big time promoter, the Pac-12 is a joke in the nation's eyes, we need someone to bring hype and excitement to the Pac-12.

I know nothing about George Kliavkoff except chances are he'll be an upgrade over Larry Scott, granted 95% of posters on this forum would be an upgrade over Larry Scott so that isn't saying much.
Last edited by OregonFan4Life on Thu May 13, 2021 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

The one think he's got going for him is he seems to understand football and MBB take precedent over all other sports. Whether he can turn that into something actionable that gets the conference going in the right direction is TBD.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

The one person who called the hire was George Wrighster, who seems to be a big fan of the hire.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:Scott didn't have college experience, but it was his crappy business acumen that did him in.

I'd be OK with Dana White, we need a big time promoter, the Pac-12 is a joke in the nation's eyes, we need someone to bring hype and excitement to the Pac-12.

I know nothing about George Kliavkoff except chances are he'll be an upgrade over Larry Scott, granted 95% of poster on this forum would be an upgrade over Larry Scott so that isn't saying much.

Well i’m glad to finally be in the top 5% of something :D :lol:
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Larry Scott with a juicy quote a few days ago regarding his failures or goals left unaccomplished:
The biggest regret is that we didn't have teams performing better in football during our 11 years. Certainly, we’ve got some brands that traditionally would be making the College Football Playoff and competing for a national championship. It didn’t happen. For a variety of reasons. .....I'm sure looking back we could probably identify some small things we would have done differently, but all the strategies around football and other sports were in alignment with all of our schools and our football coaches. USC, Oregon, Stanford, Washington not getting to the playoffs more often or winning has very little to do with the conference office. Between compliance issues, coaching changes and other things, some of our traditional powerhouses have struggled the last few years, and that’s hurt the league overall.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/ap-interview ... 45690.html

Nice to turn a question about his own performance into an opportunity to blame the 'traditional powerhouses' in football. Never mind that Oregon really only assumed the role of 'traditional powerhouse' during his tenure, which started in 2009. The Ducks should have won even more to make Scott look better. :lol: