Should the Blazers Trade Lillard?

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Which hypothetical Blazers option do you prefer?

Trade Lillard for picks and start over with $49 million in salary cap
45%
Keep Lillard and lose in the first round every year
55%

Total votes: 20
SuperDuck
Senior

Re: Should the Blazers Trade Lillard?

Post by SuperDuck »

alxtw wrote:It would make more sense if at least one of the GSW lottery picks was a top 4 pick. As the top four players in this year's draft are phenomenal players with imminent all star potential. After these top four players and the quality in the draft drops quite a bit.
They could potentially package those 2 picks and use them to move up into the Top-4.
John 3:36
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

karlhungis wrote: Love and the #4 pick for CJ is that bad of a deal?
It depends...are we still trying to 'build around Lillard' with a CJ trade? Then how does it help to bring in a glue factory candidate who doesn't free up any free agent money - in fact he is slated to make almost a half million more next year than CJ- and just pulled out of the Olympics because he is still injured after only playing in 25 games last season? When Lillard, who is already whining in the media about his surrounding cast, sees Love instead of CJ as his second scoring option, how is that going to make him want to stay?

On the other hand, if the plan is to trade Lillard for younger players/picks and rebuild, that deal looks a little better. Evan Mobley (it's actually the #3 pick from Cleveland) could turn out to be a good player to anchor the rebuild, and Love would certainly not interrupt the tanking process that would lead to more lottery picks in the near future. They aren't going to trade both Lillard and CJ though, so it's a waste of time talking about it.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Anyone want to change their vote yet? I'm trying really hard not to think about all the players and picks the Blazers could have had this summer. Oh well, at least they are ̶w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ...uh, I mean ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶e̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ...that is...almost playing .500 ball. That was the deal, right? Keep Lillard to avoid being a losing team?
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Interesting to revisit this now that CJ and Nance (and probably Powell) have essentially been given away for cap space. Maybe that trade for Kevin Love and Mobley looks pretty good after all? I think Dame's contract is still prohibitive to building a strong, deep, competitive team, but at least CJ's contract is no longer compounding that problem. Hopefully, Cronin or whomever is put in charge will use the cap space wisely and fill the team out well. I would still trade Lillard for picks if that option was available, and then start over almost from scratch.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

If they trade Lillard, portlands one horse will be up for sale. Will Silver fight to help them in Portland?