Should the Blazers Trade Lillard?

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Which hypothetical Blazers option do you prefer?

Trade Lillard for picks and start over with $49 million in salary cap
45%
Keep Lillard and lose in the first round every year
55%

Total votes: 20
Phalanx
Senior

Should the Blazers Trade Lillard?

Post by Phalanx »

As the 20-21 regular season draws to a close and it looks for all the world like yet another first-round playoff exit for the Trail Blazers (that's if they even make it past the play-in and into the first round), the thought occurred to me that there is a clear option shaping up over the next year or two. Lillard has once again been in the media implying that he isn't getting enough help from management, the narrative being that while he is an amazing superstar, he is basically doing it alone and has reached his ceiling in Portland and should be traded to a larger market superteam if Olshey can't bring in better teammates. There have even been rumblings of teams like the Knicks who would be happy to trade picks and assume Lillard's massive contract for the next four years. It seems like there is an opportunity this offseason (or anytime before Lillard's game starts breaking down with age and injury) to escape the cycle of early playoff exits and throw the dice on a talent reset, but it would involve jettisoning everyone's favorite local sports icon. Well...almost everyone's.

So, assuming that Lillard and his contract staying put will doom the Blazers to at least four more years of playoff disappointment and whining by proxy in the media for decades to come about how he never got enough help, which would you rather do:

1. Keep Lillard and watch him point at his imaginary watch for a few more years while losing in the first round and trading future first-round picks away for veteran defensive help, thereby continuing the cycle

or

2. Trade Lillard for whatever picks he would fetch in a bidding war and start over with $49 million (average for the next four years of Lillard's contract) in salary cap to play with? This option would likely involve scrapping much of the current team and going younger, which could take a few years of non-playoff seasons, but which is inevitable after Lillard is done in Portland anyway.

I could do a list of pros and cons for each option, but I thought I would just summarize and solicit the opinions of others first, in case anyone is interested. Despite my clear and oft-stated opinion, I am genuinely interested in yours. Specifically, if you are comfortable losing in the first round every year as long as you get to keep Lillard in Portland (even if you disagree with that premise and believe the Blazers can win a championship with Lillard).
Last edited by Phalanx on Thu May 13, 2021 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: What would you do if you were the Blazers GM?

Post by StevensTechU »

I didn't see "Trade CJ" as an option so I'm adding it here because that's what I would do. NYK and Detroit would probably give a limb for a scorer like CJ.

Ridiculously written poll question, though.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

>> Staring at the poll contemplating if the range of options includes every possible choice <<
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I totally get not wanting to pick between the two choices, but it isn't a ridiculous poll. I just want to know which hypothetical option people prefer. If you could look into a crystal ball and see two choices looming ahead of you - maintain the same pattern of first-round playoff losses over the course of Lillard's contract, or trade Lillard for picks and get out of his contract, which would you do? Trading CJ wasn't an option in the poll, because that isn't what I want to know. I basically want to know if people love Lillard enough to not win, or if they are tired enough of first round exits to take a chance on starting over with free cap space and another team's draft picks.
Last edited by Phalanx on Thu May 13, 2021 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Number of viewers of this thread: 49
Number of people selecting an option in this poll: 0

The people have spoken.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

StevensTechU wrote:Number of viewers of this thread: 49

The people have spoken.
Not sure how your comments are helpful, but whatever floats your boat.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

The people have spoken.
There's actually a vote.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Duck07
All-American

Re: Should the Blazers Trade Lillard?

Post by Duck07 »

NBA trades are always weird because you have to match a certain salary amount. What legitimate trade would be worth it?

I know you're likely correct that this roster won't compete for a Title but there's no guarantee that being a cellar dweller for a few years and going through The Process will pay off either.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I'm not an expert on the CBA, but it seems like trading for picks means you don't have to match salaries - it's how Boston's massive trade exception ($28.5 million) was allowed when they did a sign and trade with Gordon Hayward.
According to one league executive, the Knicks likely would be willing to trade three or four of their first-rounders in a deal for Lillard if that means they can hold onto Barrett and Obi Toppin.
https://nypost.com/2021/04/30/knicks-wo ... portunity/

So if a similar deal was made between Portland and the Knicks (who are under the cap) I'm assuming Portland could get back picks as well as cap space. Maybe not the full $43.75 million if they took a player back as well, but still, a lot of space could be created.

My position is that, given the picks getting traded away and the lack of a viable mix of young talent, the Process is going to happen eventually anyway. I agree, there is no guarantee that Olshey would draft well or sign new players well. His recent drafts have been really mediocre (Collins, Swanigan, Simons, Trent Jr. , Little). Still, I think there is room to make a team with less eggs in one basket and more depth that could become a contender along the lines of a Toronto over the last decade. The question is whether you like taking that chance and having a more exciting set of possibilities, or being locked into an almost certain future of 1st round playoff fodder-hood, but getting to keep Lillard.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

UOducksTK1 wrote:

The people have spoken.
There's actually a vote.

Hah, there wasn't as of the time I posted that. 95 views, 1 vote now.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Actually, the Blazers were just in the Western Conference Finals in 2019.

Personally, I'd hate to see Lillard leave, but if he were traded I'd want to see a 3rd team involved so we could also receive 1-2 proven players, as well as draft picks.

It's no secret that Kevin Love wants out of Cleveland. If we could get him and a good journeyman player, as well as a #1 and maybe another protected #1 based on draft position or second rounder, that might be worth it. We also might have to give up a bench player or two.

I think CJ could really step up his game with Lillard gone.
John 3:36
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

How about we trade the Blazers for a MLB expansion franchise, instead.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Don't watch any pro sports after their rediculous stance on Burn Loot Maim hoodlums. Hope they all fold...

Pile on... :roll:
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

SuperDuck wrote:Actually, the Blazers were just in the Western Conference Finals in 2019.

Personally, I'd hate to see Lillard leave, but if he were traded I'd want to see a 3rd team involved so we could also receive 1-2 proven players, as well as draft picks.

It's no secret that Kevin Love wants out of Cleveland. If we could get him and a good journeyman player, as well as a #1 and maybe another protected #1 based on draft position or second rounder, that might be worth it. We also might have to give up a bench player or two.

I think CJ could really step up his game with Lillard gone.
Yes, if we are being precise, in eight seasons with Lillard, the Blazers have missed the playoffs once, lost in the first round four times, lost in the second round twice (one of those first-round wins was because the favored Clippers suffered mid-series injuries to Chris Paul and Blake Griffin) and reached the third round once, where they once again were swept by the Warriors. Total playoff record, 20 wins, 36 losses, including 3 series sweeps. I don't mean to suggest that they have never won a playoff series, but they have never been contenders, and I don't believe they ever will be with Lillard taking up that much cap space.

I agree that McCollum would likely move up a step without Lillard, as he has demonstrated whenever Lillard is injured. Or maybe they trade McCollum too and just go all younger.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I think 50 wins and a franchise player who loves it here is fine. Is it the Yankees or Lakers, no but find me a trade of a top 10 player that the team that traded him ended up winning?