Helton out at SC

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

wlduck
Sophomore

Re: Helton out at SC

Post by wlduck »

karlhungis wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:Yeah, no way MC leaves for USC. He's on a mission here and he'll get all the cheddar he wants.
Are we sure it isn't his "dream school?"
I’m not saying he would go, but anyone saying there’s no way he would go is naive. I shudder to think of him recruiting at SC.
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Post by Oregon Ownage »

wlduck wrote:
karlhungis wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:Yeah, no way MC leaves for USC. He's on a mission here and he'll get all the cheddar he wants.
Are we sure it isn't his "dream school?"
I’m not saying he would go, but anyone saying there’s no way he would go is naive. I shudder to think of him recruiting at SC.
His dream school is Miami, FL. I wouldnt worry about USC
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I second those who say Miami would be the school that would worry me about losing Cristobal, not USC.

Does anyone feel there's a realistic shot that Donte gets the head coaching job on a permanent basis? It seems like he's there just to keep the recruiting class together and the likelihood that he keeps his regular job isn't even above 50%. A new HC seems all but guaranteed to me, and those guys tend to like bringing in their own people.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

StevensTechU wrote:I second those who say Miami would be the school that would worry me about losing Cristobal, not USC.

Does anyone feel there's a realistic shot that Donte gets the head coaching job on a permanent basis? It seems like he's there just to keep the recruiting class together and the likelihood that he keeps his regular job isn't even above 50%. A new HC seems all but guaranteed to me, and those guys tend to like bringing in their own people.
I'm actually concerned that Donte sold the AD on his ability to be a recruiter and follow in the Mario mold where he's not a tactician based HC but simply a recruiter. USC has recruited itself for over a decade of so-so play and getting a skilled recruiter who knows just what USC can be scares me more than some of the other choices that either don't seem realistic (Meyer/Stoops) or seem like bad culture fits (Fickell).

Leinart had a tweet the other night about no way could SC compete with Oregon right now and while we've been somewhat Bama-obsessed the last decade, I think there are a fair contingent of USC people who feel a bit of that towards Oregon because we've taken the mantle from them. (I'm not saying they're hiring Donte because he's from Oregon, just that his time at Oregon and possibly selling a similar role for him as the HC could be what gave him the edge over someone else in the interim)
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

The only scenario I can think of that really concerns me at this point is if Urban decides to medically retire from the NFL to take the job.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I don't know if I'm more concerned with USC becoming a power again or the Pac-12 fading into irrelevance. It seems like one of these has to be true but both can't be true at the same time.
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

How far behind is uw doing the same?
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

rsbgduck wrote:How far behind is uw doing the same?
I'm guessing they are a year or two away. I think that USC did this mainly to get ahead of LSU in the hunt for their replacement.
OregonFan4life -
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

karlhungis wrote:
I'm guessing they are a year or two away. I think that USC did this mainly to get ahead of LSU in the hunt for their replacement.
From a Duck fan perspective I hope they keep him around a few years, from a conference strength perspective he needs to go. I know the AD is getting it from the fans but fans don’t impact AD decisions as much as they think. I was at a home poker game Sunday that had a few Oregon and OSU donors and according to them the AD at uw is already feeling some serious heat from there donors. If they finish below .500 I wouldn’t be surprised to see a change at the end of season. If Oregon does make the playoffs, personally I feel it will put a lot of pressure on other AD’s to keep up meaning we could (depending on how the season plays out, I know it’s super early) see 3-4 more coaching changes. JMHO without looking at current contracts and how far coaches are into them.

Thanks for your thoughts.
lmduck

Helton out at SC

Post by lmduck »

rsbgduck wrote:
karlhungis wrote:
From a Duck fan perspective I hope they keep him around a few years, from a conference strength perspective he needs to go. I know the AD is getting it from the fans but fans don’t impact AD decisions as much as they think. I was at a home poker game Sunday that had a few Oregon and OSU donors and according to them the AD at uw is already feeling some serious heat from there donors. If they finish below .500 I wouldn’t be surprised to see a change at the end of season. If Oregon does make the playoffs, personally I feel it will put a lot of pressure on other AD’s to keep up meaning we could (depending on how the season plays out, I know it’s super early) see 3-4 more coaching changes. JMHO without looking at current contracts and how far coaches are into them.

Always have to factor in what the buy out might be.

I think that is why UW fans are not optimistic about getting rid of Lake this year. He gets a pass for last year so maybe he gets next year and then they'll evaluate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

rsbgduck wrote:
karlhungis wrote:

With USC already getting into the coaching search, I think that is going to put a lot of pressure on other teams that are looking to replace a head coach. Assuming USC gets the top pick, LSU will probably get the second pick, that already puts UW in a bind. I also think that he will be able to sell this years recruiting flop as an anomaly and get another year out of it. It would be difficult to replace your head coach and your best recruiter. It will be a difficult rebuild.
OregonFan4life -
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

StevensTechU wrote:I don't know if I'm more concerned with USC becoming a power again or the Pac-12 fading into irrelevance. It seems like one of these has to be true but both can't be true at the same time.
I wouldn't mind USC and the rest of the Pac-12 becoming irrelevant, while Oregon becomes a national behemoth and perennial CFP team. We would be the equivalent of Clemson in the ACC, another league filled with bottom to mediocre teams.
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

> Assuming USC gets the top pick, LSU will probably get the second pick

I would have thought that only USC fans thought this.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I think it would benefit everyone if USC was good again. Our conference needs someone from the south to be consistently competitive, and SC is the most likely program to be able to pull that off. The media loves SC, and them being relevant would automatically give the Pac-12 more legitimacy. For Oregon, you could actually afford to drop a game during the season because beating a top 5-10 SC team in the conference champ game would immediately launch you into the CFP. As it stands we have to be perfect, which is extremely hard even with an elite team.

If it means losing to them every once in a while but the conference sending a team to the CFP every year then it’s worth it.

lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:I think it would benefit everyone if USC was good again. Our conference needs someone from the south to be consistently competitive, and SC is the most likely program to be able to pull that off. The media loves SC, and them being relevant would automatically give the Pac-12 more legitimacy. For Oregon, you could actually afford to drop a game during the season because beating a top 5-10 SC team in the conference champ game would immediately launch you into the CFP. As it stands we have to be perfect, which is extremely hard even with an elite team.

If it means losing to them every once in a while but the conference sending a team to the CFP every year then it’s worth it.

On the flip side, Oklahoma and Clemson just roll through their conference each year and get CFP bids annually. I don't think we need a competitor