Re: Blazers/NBA 2021-2022 Thread

Post by greenyellow »

Typical Blazers luck:
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

greenyellow wrote:Typical Blazers luck:
Injury right out of the gate? Step 1 complete. Step 2, Dyson Daniels becomes a generational talent we passed on.

The blazer way!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Typical Blazers luck:
Injury right out of the gate? Step 1 complete. Step 2, Dyson Daniels becomes a generational talent we passed on.

The blazer way!
He's injured now too.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Yeah, sounds like Ivey is also injured. It isn't the end of the world. What is more significant is that the Blazers just delayed being contenders in the NBA for at least two more years as they extended Lillard for 35% of the cap/ $112 million. So if all the hand-wringers are right and Sharpe ends up an injury-prone bust, it's probably just as well, since they won't have the money to re-sign him anyway.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

John Hollinger coming to many of the same conclusions that I have been posting here for several years regarding supermaxing Lillard with no attempt at negotiating:

https://fadeawayworld.net/nba-media/nba ... -timelines

"When it comes to superstar contract talks, some teams negotiate … and others capitulate. "

"Contrast those deals with the recent cases of Bradley Beal and Damian Lillard — where it almost felt like the teams handed over pens and let the players fill in whatever — and the difference becomes obvious. It’s the difference between negotiation for mutual benefit and total surrender."

"Instead, each team has more or less surrendered, locking into outsized deals that will pay them well into their decline phases, all to win a bidding war against — checks notes — nobody."

On another note, I was looking at the salary situation after the Blazers decided to sign Jabari Walker to a full contract rather than a 2-way deal. Having now signed 15 players, the Blazers appear to be about $1.5 million into the tax after stretching Bledsoe. So that means they might possibly be able to avoid the tax this year if they can make a small trade or just waive one player. Didi Louzada makes almost $1.9 million and can't even get minutes on a summer league team, so maybe they plan to fish for a trade and waive him by the end of the season if they don't get any bites. Walker and Eubanks are great signings, adding depth to the post for really cheap. Another back-up center would not go amiss, however. Nurk is bound to get injured at some point.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I'm expecting a Hart/Winslow trade at some point in the season.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Duck07 wrote:I'm expecting a Hart/Winslow trade at some point in the season.
I think Hart is more likely, especially if Little proves he can stay healthy and be a starter-level SF.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Duck07 wrote:I'm expecting a Hart/Winslow trade at some point in the season.
I like both players, but I think the Blazers will not be able to sign all the free agents after this season, so they might be motivated to preempt losing them in free agency if the right trade comes along, as they did with Gary Trent Jr a few years ago and Covington last year. When a team manages the cap badly, they lose free agents more often.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Blazers are Summer League champs.