Coaching Carousel

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Re: Coaching Carousel

Post by lukeyrid13 »

wlduck wrote:
wlduck wrote:The more I think about what’s happening, the more likely I think it is that Cristobal bails. I think it’s 50/50 he lasts through this cycle, and 90/10 he’s gone after next year if not.

These crazy offers are going to the perceived best recruiters, the ones capable of swimming in the SEC waters. It would not surprise me at all if Oklahoma takes a big swing at MC.
The fact that Oklahoma has not announced anything leads me to speculate that they have a deal with Mario. Will announce it after tomorrow night’s game. If it was going to be Venables they would have it done already- he’s not in a conference championship game. I’m just spitballing but the silence seems telling to me.
Scuttle is they’re going to hire the Georgia DC
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

wlduck wrote:The more I think about what’s happening, the more likely I think it is that Cristobal bails. I think it’s 50/50 he lasts through this cycle, and 90/10 he’s gone after next year if not.

These crazy offers are going to the perceived best recruiters, the ones capable of swimming in the SEC waters. It would not surprise me at all if Oklahoma takes a big swing at MC.
Who will be our next head-coach in case Mario leaves?

I really hope it's someone that actually has a good HC rep and can lead us to a natty.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

wlduck wrote:

The fact that Oklahoma has not announced anything leads me to speculate that they have a deal with Mario. Will announce it after tomorrow night’s game. If it was going to be Venables they would have it done already- he’s not in a conference championship game. I’m just spitballing but the silence seems telling to me.
This makes no sense at all to project Mario to OU with zero reports indicating as much.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I don’t think Mario would be a good cultural fit in Oklahoma

And now with all their talent in the portal, they aren’t as attractive as they were two weeks ago
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

Duck07 wrote:
wlduck wrote:

This makes no sense at all to project Mario to OU with zero reports indicating as much.
I get it. There are no reports of such. As I said, I’m spitballing. I guess I’d say that the Kelly and Riley moves happened with no warning. And I think the move makes really good sense for OK with the SEC move looming. It makes some sense for MC if he wants to swim in those waters, which he well may. That and OK’s silence are what makes me suspicious. Although if they are after the Georgia coordinator or Fickell those would also be kept as quiet as possible.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

wlduck wrote:
I get it. There are no reports of such. As I said, I’m spitballing. I guess I’d say that the Kelly and Riley moves happened with no warning. And I think the move makes really good sense for OK with the SEC move looming. It makes some sense for MC if he wants to swim in those waters, which he well may. That and OK’s silence are what makes me suspicious. Although if they are after the Georgia coordinator or Fickell those would also be kept as quiet as possible.
While some of these moves do happen out of the blue, going to OU would feel like a lateral move for Mario and not a step up which would mean they merely threw a massive bag at Mario and not someone else. I also don't think OU is looking West at Mario and saying, give us more of that. We feel we're on a steady upward trajectory with MC but I doubt Sooners would see it that way and think he's the guy they have to have.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

The Kelly and Riley deals were actually out of the blue though. If Mario and Oklahoma had agreed to a secret deal to be announced at a later date there would be lots of rumblings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Here is my prediction. I have no inside knowledge, this is just what I think is going to happen.

If Miami was going to keep Diaz next season, the school would have already come out an issued a statement backing him for another year. It is two weeks before the early signing period and they are slow-playing him. The likely explanation is that the coach that they want is still coaching and they want to try and hold on to recruits and make the switch quickly, so they don't lose their entire class.

Miami is going to come hard after Mario on Saturday, assuming they have not done so already. I honestly think that Miami is desperate and is going to attempt to overpay for Mario and ultimately he is going to end up taking the job. I just don't see Oregon getting into a bidding war with Miami to try keep Mario.

I know a lot of people are saying that since Moorhead left, the job at Oregon is not opening. However, I don't think he would be a legit candidate after what happened at Miss St. and I don't think that is playing into his decision to consider the Akron job.

Ultimately, I think Oregon goes hard after Lane Kiffin to replace Mario. Lane went through his crap when he is younger, but he is one of the best offensive minds in the game right now and he seems to have learned from his past mistakes. I could also see them making a run at Matt Campbell.

As for OU, I honestly think they are going to push for a defensive coach like Lanning or Venables. Defense continues to cost that program championships.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

northbeachsf wrote:Here is my prediction. I have no inside knowledge, this is just what I think is going to happen.

If Miami was going to keep Diaz next season, the school would have already come out an issued a statement backing him for another year. It is two weeks before the early signing period and they are slow-playing him. The likely explanation is that the coach that they want is still coaching and they want to try and hold on to recruits and make the switch quickly, so they don't lose their entire class.

Miami is going to come hard after Mario on Saturday, assuming they have not done so already. I honestly think that Miami is desperate and is going to attempt to overpay for Mario and ultimately he is going to end up taking the job. I just don't see Oregon getting into a bidding war with Miami to try keep Mario.

I know a lot of people are saying that since Moorhead left, the job at Oregon is not opening. However, I don't think he would be a legit candidate after what happened at Miss St. and I don't think that is playing into his decision to consider the Akron job.

Ultimately, I think Oregon goes hard after Lane Kiffin to replace Mario. Lane went through his crap when he is younger, but he is one of the best offensive minds in the game right now and he seems to have learned from his past mistakes. I could also see them making a run at Matt Campbell.

As for OU, I honestly think they are going to push for a defensive coach like Lanning or Venables. Defense continues to cost that program championships.
This makes me want to puke.

Honestly, if Mario were to take the bag and leave to another school, give me Pep Hamilton. Great QB Teacher, amazing communicator, has experience on the West Coast both in the Pros and College. I already like him as a potential OC choice but I think highly of him and would have zero issues having him lead the program.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Call me crazy but I don’t think Lane Kiffin would be the worst. He’s grown a lot, he is a great offensive mind, he’s a walking headline, players like him, and I can’t imagine a coach more motivated to win the PAC-12 and beat USC than him.

But this is all speculation and I’d rather Mario stay but it is starting to feel like there’s a solid chance he’s gone after the game today.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Call me crazy but I don’t think Lane Kiffin would be the worst. He’s grown a lot, he is a great offensive mind, he’s a walking headline, players like him, and I can’t imagine a coach more motivated to win the PAC-12 and beat USC than him.

But this is all speculation and I’d rather Mario stay but it is starting to feel like there’s a solid chance he’s gone after the game today.
He's also someone who is just as likely to leave in 2 years for some odd reason out of the blue.

His wife will never live in Eugene, Oregon btw.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Duck07 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Call me crazy but I don’t think Lane Kiffin would be the worst. He’s grown a lot, he is a great offensive mind, he’s a walking headline, players like him, and I can’t imagine a coach more motivated to win the PAC-12 and beat USC than him.

He's also someone who is just as likely to leave in 2 years for some odd reason out of the blue.

His wife will never live in Eugene, Oregon btw.
Gone are the days of stability with coaching in college football. It’s either get a guy like Whittingham and be good for a while but never great, or take chances with great coaches and hope to win a national championship surrounded by mediocre seasons. I guess it just depend on what Oregon fans want but for me personally I want a national championship so badly I’d be willing to have a national championship followed by 3 losing seasons rather than 4 10 win seasons in a row.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

OregonFan4Life wrote: Gone are the days of stability with coaching in college football. It’s either get a guy like Whittingham and be good for a while but never great, or take chances with great coaches and hope to win a national championship surrounded by mediocre seasons. I guess it just depend on what Oregon fans want but for me personally I want a national championship so badly I’d be willing to have a national championship followed by 3 losing seasons rather than 4 10 win seasons in a row.
I'll just say that giving in to the Joneses and letting all of this maniacal behavior from schools is the wrong approach in the Saban Era of College Football.

I understand the FFF (flags fly forever) approach and don't disagree with it, but I think this notion of what a great coach is, is rather subjective for a lot of them. Lane is a great OC, he hasn't shown himself to be a great HC to think he's a 100M NC caliber coach.
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

wlduck wrote:

He's not the only coach with a conference championship game this weekend though. Fickell, Holgerson, and Aranda all have games this weekend, as does Georgia DC Dan Lanning. Couldn't you make the exact case for them too, as with Mario?
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

pdxduck2013 wrote:
wlduck wrote:

He's not the only coach with a conference championship game this weekend though. Fickell, Holgerson, and Aranda all have games this weekend, as does Georgia DC Dan Lanning. Couldn't you make the exact case for them too, as with Mario?
Yes.