Coaching Carousel

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

wlduck
Sophomore

Re: Coaching Carousel

Post by wlduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:These coaching salaries are getting beyond unreasonable and will be the #1 reason college football will lose fans, more so than the transfer portal.
It’s definitely moving into uncharted territory. I tend to think that people overreact to these things, but I’m not so sure this time. And the coaching moves kind of go hand and hand with the portal. Now a coach can take players with him to some extent.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

StevensTechU wrote:Do* folks on this board (not ADs) think Cristobal is a $9M/yr head coach?
I'd much rather have his contract updated with even larger performance bonuses and increases in annual salary when goals are met, to the degree where his total compensation would match that of a top earning coach (Lincoln, Tucker, Saban) when they win a title, make it into the CFP, or win a NY6 game. However, his currently salary does seem a little low.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

wlduck wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:Does folks on this board (not ADs) think Cristobal is a $9M/yr head coach?
And the current market highly values what he is best at- recruiting.
The two coaches that just got theses huge contracts, have taken their respective teams to the CFP multiple times. As good of a recruiter as MC is, his resume hasn’t reached those heights yet. Not a $9M/year coach in my mind, not yet.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Everythingsducky wrote:
wlduck wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:Does folks on this board (not ADs) think Cristobal is a $9M/yr head coach?
The two coaches that just got theses huge contracts, have taken their respective teams to the CFP multiple times. As good of a recruiter as MC is, his resume hasn’t reached those heights yet. Not a $9M/year coach in my mind, not yet.
Mel Tucker
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Sounding like Donte Williams isn't going to stay at USC and his most likely landing spot is uw. I don't love that.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

StevensTechU wrote:Sounding like Donte Williams isn't going to stay at USC and his most likely landing spot is uw. I don't love that.
That’s unfortunate. He seems ambitious enough that he’ll move on from there as soon as possible though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

StevensTechU wrote:
Everythingsducky wrote:
wlduck wrote:
Mel Tucker
Good call. Was thinking of Riley/Kelly. Tuckers deal seems crazy high.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Virginia will now be open after their bowl game.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

The Bronco news is a SHOCKER. Maybe I don't follow things closely enough, but I didn't see that one coming.

Hey Brennan Armstrong, if you want to use your last year to play for the Ducks, we'll gladly have you.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

StevensTechU wrote:Sounding like Donte Williams isn't going to stay at USC and his most likely landing spot is uw. I don't love that.
That's a good move by UW. Donte isn't a proven DC, but no one expects UW to be champions right away. (Except their own delusional fans) So they will have time for what Donte does best, recruiting. If he doesn't pan out in 2-3 years, at least they have a stable of very good recruits and can bring in another DC. The risk-reward ratio is favorable with a Donte hire.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

alxtw wrote:
That's a good move by UW. Donte isn't a proven DC, but no one expects UW to be champions right away. (Except their own delusional fans) So they will have time for what Donte does best, recruiting. If he doesn't pan out in 2-3 years, at least they have a stable of very good recruits and can bring in another DC. The risk-reward ratio is favorable with a Donte hire.

If they are making him the DC, it’s a terrible move. Remover when Bama tried to give the DC to Tosh? It will be far worse than that.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

First, I would trade Yates for Williams in a heartbeat. It's a dog eat dog business, if it went down that way. Second, if uw did get Williams by making him DC, it may not make them an elite defense, but it would also hurt UofO and SC by taking talent away that we'd otherwise have a great shot at. Wasted talent is still talent that doesn't end up elsewhere.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Why does everybody seem so sure that Williams will be a bad DC?
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Why does everybody seem so sure that Williams will be a bad DC?
USCs defense has been absolute garbage the last two seasons.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

wlduck wrote:The more I think about what’s happening, the more likely I think it is that Cristobal bails. I think it’s 50/50 he lasts through this cycle, and 90/10 he’s gone after next year if not.

These crazy offers are going to the perceived best recruiters, the ones capable of swimming in the SEC waters. It would not surprise me at all if Oklahoma takes a big swing at MC.
The fact that Oklahoma has not announced anything leads me to speculate that they have a deal with Mario. Will announce it after tomorrow night’s game. If it was going to be Venables they would have it done already- he’s not in a conference championship game. I’m just spitballing but the silence seems telling to me.