Will the Big 12 stop being a Power 5 conference?

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Will the Big 12 stop being a Power 5 conference?

Post by DuckzRule »

Some people have been saying that for a while, that it will now be 4 Power conferences after Oklahoma and Texas move to the SEC, so if it goes that way, will we have to schedule new games for 2023 to 2028 since Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and Baylor would stop being P5 opponents (that would also be probable if the Pac-12 changes to a 8 conference game schedule)?

But tbh, I doubt the Big 12 will lose it's status as a Power 5.
Duck07
All-American

Re: Will the Big 12 stop being a Power 5 conference?

Post by Duck07 »

DuckzRule wrote:Some people have been saying that for a while, that it will now be 4 Power conferences after Oklahoma and Texas move to the SEC, so if it goes that way, will we have to schedule new games for 2023 to 2028 since Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and Baylor would stop being P5 opponents (that would also be probable if the Pac-12 changes to a 8 conference game schedule)?

But tbh, I doubt the Big 12 will lose it's status as a Power 5.
No, the way it works is we can play 1 FCS team a year in the OOC schedule but not 2 without a waiver to be bowl eligible. Playing other FBS teams is the only distinction, not P5 or G5.

As far as a future move to 8 P12 games, it should happen but because it hasn't been annoucned in conjunction with The Alliance games being schedule for the ACC and Big 10, I think it isn't likely to be anything substantive or even happen because they're all waiting for the expansion to 12 (it should really only be 8 and this year once again proves why expansion has nothing to do with crowning a true champion but $$$). Once the Playoff expands, The Alliance will fall apart because teams will once again want to protect their records as much as possible and the P12 will keep playing 9 games.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: Will the Big 12 stop being a Power 5 conference?

Post by StevensTechU »

Had this thought while out walking today-

I 'vote' yes, will still be a Power 5 conference, for no other reason than people in college sports are incredibly slow to adopt change. Now that Power 5/Group of 5 are things people are used to, they won't get un-used to it very quickly. People still call our conference the Pac-10. The Big Ten has 14 teams because they understand how poorly people adopt new branding.

So definitely will stay Power 5 for a while.