Utah just lost the Rose Bowl.

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

nogerO
Senior

Re: Utah just lost the Rose Bowl.

Post by nogerO »

glad I picked P-12 losses across the board in bowl games in our pickem
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Tray Dub wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
woundedknees wrote:I think the Utes fire went out when the QB1 was injured... Completely diferent offensive game after theat.

They blew it way before that happened. The QB getting hurt didn’t change the outcome. The backup he two drives, with one TD more than the utes had the entire second half. Stop giving Utah an out here. Ohio st made the right adjustments and Whit did his best Mario impersonation with time management
You and I were watching two different games. The idea that it didn't matter that Rising's injury didn't matter is insane to me.

I guess so. Because he got hurt in the 4th, after Utah had already given up a big lead and couldn’t do anything in the 2nd half. I thought once CJ got going, they wouldn’t be able to hold onto the lead. How many teams win, when the other team has a WR with over 300 yards? Utahs D failed them.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I didn’t think Rising’s injury had much affect on the game either, especially considering the backup led them on their only TD drive in the 2nd half.

It was pretty clear before his injury that if tOSU got the ball last they would win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:I didn’t think Rising’s injury had much affect on the game either, especially considering the backup led them on their only TD drive in the 2nd half.

It was pretty clear before his injury that if tOSU got the ball last they would win.

Yep. Utah did nothing with Rising in the 2nd half. If anything, their backup surprised tOSU with his passing ability. OT would have been fun.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

As a duck fan this game showed me two things:

After the Ohio St game Mario clearly realized he punched his ticket to Miami and no longer cared, that’s the only way I can explain the drastic regression.

Also everyone was talking about how amazing Utah’s defense was after smothering Oregon twice, clearly their defense isn’t that good, Oregon’s offense was that bad with Mario and Moorhead running the offense. Mario runs a terrible offensive scheme even when he does care, make sense that it’d be beyond horrible when he doesn’t, and Moorhead is an overrated OC that belongs at small schools that doesn’t face teams with a strong front seven. He has no idea how to exploit a bad secondary.

This game furthered my excitement that we’re getting a completely new coaching staff next year.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:As a duck fan this game showed me two things:

After the Ohio St game Mario clearly realized he punched his ticket to Miami and no longer cared, that’s the only way I can explain the drastic regression.

Also everyone was talking about how amazing Utah’s defense was after smothering Oregon twice, clearly their defense isn’t that good, Oregon’s offense was that bad with Mario and Moorhead running the offense. Mario runs a terrible offensive scheme even when he does care, make sense that it’d be beyond horrible when he doesn’t, and Moorhead is an overrated OC that belongs at small schools that doesn’t face teams with a strong front seven. He has no idea how to exploit a bad secondary.

This game furthered my excitement that we’re getting a completely new coaching staff next year.
I think the first point is outlandish. I would point more toward injuries being the reason for regression than Mario no longer caring. I've noticed you point to "not caring" being the main factor often when teams lose (Oregon BB, FB, etc.). Sometimes people care, try to do their best, and simply don't perform well.

The 2nd point is also a bit moot, as that wasn't the same Utah defense that played Oregon. Not to say that Oregon played well by any stretch or that Utah has an amazing defense, but Utah was missing several defensive backs for the Rose Bowl. In fact, so many that they had to start one of their running backs at corner, and he repeatedly got targeted and torched by OSU. Their secondary isn't as bad as it looked against OSU, but that being said, I think Ohio St. has a wee bit more talent than Oregon in the passing game, so expecting Oregon do that much damage was a bit of a stretch to begin with. Ohio St. has the best passing attack in all of college football, so it figures they would torch a defense missing a bunch of players in their secondary, as they also torch most fully healthy secondaries.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

droop10 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:As a duck fan this game showed me two things:

I think the first point is outlandish. I would point more toward injuries being the reason for regression than Mario no longer caring. I've noticed you point to "not caring" being the main factor often when teams lose (Oregon BB, FB, etc.). Sometimes people care, try to do their best, and simply don't perform well.

The 2nd point is also a bit moot, as that wasn't the same Utah defense that played Oregon. Not to say that Oregon played well by any stretch or that Utah has an amazing defense, but Utah was missing several defensive backs for the Rose Bowl. In fact, so many that they had to start one of their running backs at corner, and he repeatedly got targeted and torched by OSU. Their secondary isn't as bad as it looked against OSU, but that being said, I think Ohio St. has a wee bit more talent than Oregon in the passing game, so expecting Oregon do that much damage was a bit of a stretch to begin with. Ohio St. has the best passing attack in all of college football, so it figures they would torch a defense missing a bunch of players in their secondary, as they also torch most fully healthy secondaries.
Excellent points and agree Mario did not check out after Ohio State. That was the second week of the season and the potential issues at Miami were not being talked about then.

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

There is a rumor that Mario did check out after The Ohio State win thinking that punched his ticket to Miami, even Herbetreit revealed that Miami was on Mario’s mind in October, maybe it’s true maybe it isn’t. Think what you guys want but the team played to their potential once all season, and that was against Ohio State.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

What's funny about the whole thing is, the only game nearly everyone thought Oregon had NO chance, was tOSU.

Stay healthy, and maintain that level of focus, and the sky was literally the limit.

I doubt Oregon would have been guaranteed a Natty, but I think there is little doubt, that if the Ducks held serve, they would at least have made the first round of the playoff.

Like playing 5 card Hi-Lo... Life's a gamble!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

OregonFan4Life wrote:There is a rumor that Mario did check out after The Ohio State win thinking that punched his ticket to Miami, even Herbetreit revealed that Miami was on Mario’s mind in October, maybe it’s true maybe it isn’t. Think what you guys want but the team played to their potential once all season, and that was against Ohio State.
This is far too simplistic of a theory and doesn’t account other key factors; namely the opposing teams and coaches in all these games Mario supposedly chose to win or lose.

The idea that Mario is both an incompetent Xs & Os guy that loses games he shouldn’t while simultaneously being a mastermind that can flip a switch whenever we face a superior opponent and crush them is just a bit much.

northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:There is a rumor that Mario did check out after The Ohio State win thinking that punched his ticket to Miami, even Herbetreit revealed that Miami was on Mario’s mind in October, maybe it’s true maybe it isn’t. Think what you guys want but the team played to their potential once all season, and that was against Ohio State.
This is far too simplistic of a theory and doesn’t account other key factors; namely the opposing teams and coaches in all these games Mario supposedly chose to win or lose.

The idea that Mario is both an incompetent Xs & Os guy that loses games he shouldn’t while simultaneously being a mastermind that can flip a switch whenever we face a superior opponent and crush them is just a bit much.

All tOSU had to do was make an adjustment on defense to seal the edges against the run and they probably win that game by multiple scores. The best part is that tOSU fixed the issue right after the game, by evaluating and making a change............something that Oregon has not been able to do during the last 4 seasons.

Looking forward to this change.