How long do you think Cristobal will last in Miami?

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

How long do you think Cristobal will last in Miami?

Post by DuckzRule »

I don't know if this should be discussed, but considering it involves the previous HC before Lanning was hired, I think it might?

Multiple people are saying Miami could potentially be a dark-horse contender for the CFP considering the ACC is nowadays a mediocre conference owned by Clemson, I don't know if The U could get back to it's glory days and if they will ever dethrone the Clemson dynasty (despite them not having a great season in 2021), but considering how good Cristobal is with recruiting, maybe?

Even then, he might make some coaching mistakes like he did in Oregon.
nogerO
Senior

Re: How long do you think Cristobal will last in Miami?

Post by nogerO »

IF he quits meddling with the play calling and hires someone to tell him when he's stepping on his dick with regards to stupid time outs and clock management-4/5 years. If not 2 or 3. The expectations are unreasonably high.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

nogerO wrote:IF he quits meddling with the play calling and hires someone to tell him when he's stepping on his dick with regards to stupid time outs and clock management-4/5 years. If not 2 or 3. The expectations are unreasonably high.
^^^^^^ Yes! He has to allow his coaches to do their jobs and give someone else the clock mgmt. He is terrible at that and it cost the team. i don't think he can to it. He is too controlling.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

My prediction, he cannot stay out of his own way, too controlling. On the hot seat in two seasons and gone in three or four.
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

Who cares? He isn't our coach anymore. If he succeeds as long as it's not against us fine. If he fails fine.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Quietduck wrote:Who cares? .
It’s a fair question for Duck fans, same question was asked about Slick I believe.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

If he hasn't changed his ways by now, I don't see him changing. I see him still recruiting at a high level, but under achieving with that talent on the field. Don't think Miami has the luxury and wallet to go after another top salary coach when mario fails after 2-3 years. His elite recruiting will always buy him more time and mask his shortcomings. So I see them putting up with his mediocrity on the field for 5-6 years before they fire him.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I think Miami will be competitive in the ACC and he'll be there for some time. I also think Dabo doesn't understand the changes in the last 2 years and he's going to have change or else get left behind.

I'd say Mario is successful enough that he gets a contract extension.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Cristobal recruits well so they’ll do solid. If he gets good coaching assistants under him, he could be really successful.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Cristobal is a really bad coach but amazing recruiter, and that will keep him around in Miami for a while but like at Oregon fans will be very frustrated. As others said on this post if he hasn’t changed by now then he won’t change. If he didn’t realize by 2000 the game was changing from the 90’s why would he recognize it now?

I think he’ll be at Miami for a while and I believe if anything he’d leave before getting fired. I see him being similar to Lincoln Riley at Oklahoma, I see Miami getting in the CFP due to the weak ACC but never winning a CFP game. They’ll win some big bowls cause he does know how to instill a tough mentality in his players, but when Miami goes up against teams with equal talent and great x and o coaches Miami will get embarrassed like Oregon did against Utah twice this last year. A lot of college football experts aren’t sold on Mario and there’s a reason why, he’s fool’s gold. Because Miami will win the occasional bowl game and will even make it to the CFP simply out of talent alone, he’ll do just enough to avoid being fired despite the frustrated fans, just like at Oregon.

Mario to me is like Will Richardson, a ton of potential if he just had the right mindset, and that’s really frustrating for fans.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

As long as he can keep a solid staff of recruiters buying in, he will stick around there for a while. Seems like he put together a pretty good staff. I expect his results to be pretty similar to what he did while he was here.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

It’s pretty telling that not one UO coach has left UO and had much success in the last 30 years. Brooks was ok for UK, but terrible in the nfl. Chip has been fired twice since leaving, and really hasn’t been anything special at UCLA. Mens basketball Greene has a couple good years but Tennessee got tired of him. Kent flopped at WSU. Willie sucks.

I’m guessing Mario wins 6-9 games a year until Miami gets tired of paying him for mediocre results. They already pissed off the professor’s by giving MC a bunch of money but asking them to take a pay cut, so I’m sure those voices will be load at pointing out anything negative about Mario.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

buckmarkduck wrote:It’s pretty telling that not one UO coach has left UO and had much success in the last 30 years. Brooks was ok for UK, but terrible in the nfl. Chip has been fired twice since leaving, and really hasn’t been anything special at UCLA. Mens basketball Greene has a couple good years but Tennessee got tired of him. Kent flopped at WSU. Willie sucks.

I’m guessing Mario wins 6-9 games a year until Miami gets tired of paying him for mediocre results. They already pissed off the professor’s by giving MC a bunch of money but asking them to take a pay cut, so I’m sure those voices will be load at pointing out anything negative about Mario.
Mario's going to have a tougher schedule most years in the ACC, as well. Clemson, North Carolina, a rebuilding Florida State and more. Even teams like Virginia Tech, Boston College, Syracuse, Virginia and NC State aren't cupcakes.

Also, doesn't Miami play Florida in non-conference play every year? I can't remember.

He'll get a pass for at least 2 years while rebuilding, but after that they'll start taking a closer look at his results. Especially if he brings in a couple highly rated recruiting classes.
John 3:36
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Mario's going to recruit well thats a given. Recruits love him. What he wont do
is let go of the controls. He wants to be all of the coordinators in one. If he were
to let go and let his staff do their jobs then his teams will do well. I just dont see
him letting go..
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I think with all coaches, they need to really recognize when they have a great fit and not always be looking for their "next move". Chip could honestly have been right there with Saban and Dabo and been a sure fire hall of fame college coach where his success alone brings in the recruits. But he had to scratch the NFL itch and can never replicate what he had here.

Similarly, Mike Riley was in a sweet spot at Oregon State. He flamed out FAST both with Nebraska and the Chargers.

My gut feeling, is that Cristobal had a good run here and folks were able to overlook his pedestrian offenses, but if that continues for another year or two that his luster will begin to wear off and he slowly fades but it takes 5-6 years.