Blazers 2022-2023 Thread

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Everythingsducky
Senior

Re: Blazers 2022-2023 Thread

Post by Everythingsducky »

squintsdd wrote:
Phalanx wrote:Mavericks fined $750k for doing in one game what the Blazers did for the last two seasons.

https://sports.yahoo.com/mavericks-fine ... 13855.html
Yup, the tanking fine is a joke. Players, especially star players that fans pay to see, shouldn't be healthy scratches. I get the logic behind tanking, but it still pisses me off to no end
I don’t understand the difference between what the Blazers/other teams have done, versus what Dallas did. Is it simply that the Mavs were still able to make the playoffs/play-in?
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Everythingsducky wrote:
squintsdd wrote:
Phalanx wrote:Mavericks fined $750k for doing in one game what the Blazers did for the last two seasons.

Yup, the tanking fine is a joke. Players, especially star players that fans pay to see, shouldn't be healthy scratches. I get the logic behind tanking, but it still pisses me off to no end
I don’t understand the difference between what the Blazers/other teams have done, versus what Dallas did. Is it simply that the Mavs were still able to make the playoffs/play-in?
Maybe that's the excuse the NBA is giving, but the blazers were still very capable of making the play-in games when they started tanking. In my opinion the penalty for tanking should be harsher than a fine. Losing the first round pick would be more acceptable
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Everythingsducky wrote:
squintsdd wrote:

For most of the other teams like the Pistons, Rockets, Spurs and Hornets they just had trash rosters full of young players so it wasn't really tanking so much as just having a garbage roster to put on the floor.

The Blazers had players hit the injury list over the last 2 years, at which point, it can be very hard to say that a guy with a muscle strain should be playing and thus, there is a level of lee-way that you don't get with what Dallas did, which was to essentially sit their main players who had not previously been listed with injuries in order to make the lottery rather than the play-in. Plus, the League hates Cuban for being an individual and not falling in line.

On an unrelated note, Damian is now complaining after essentially receiving $500,000 for every game he's been sitting out during this time. (82M over the last 2 years, 87 games played out of 164 so iust what would fining the Blazers 750K do when they've been eating 500K every night? lol)
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Duck07 wrote: For most of the other teams like the Pistons, Rockets, Spurs and Hornets they just had trash rosters full of young players so it wasn't really tanking so much as just having a garbage roster to put on the floor.

The Blazers had players hit the injury list over the last 2 years, at which point, it can be very hard to say that a guy with a muscle strain should be playing and thus, there is a level of lee-way that you don't get with what Dallas did, which was to essentially sit their main players who had not previously been listed with injuries in order to make the lottery rather than the play-in. Plus, the League hates Cuban for being an individual and not falling in line.

On an unrelated note, Damian is now complaining after essentially receiving $500,000 for every game he's been sitting out during this time. (82M over the last 2 years, 87 games played out of 164 so iust what would fining the Blazers 750K do when they've been eating 500K every night? lol)
This. This is the reason. They will say the difference is because the Mavs stated their intentions and reasons for sitting players out, but Lillard did the exact same thing in the media before he sat out.

Speaking of Lillard, he has really been on a roll in the media lately, demanding the Blazers trade away high draft picks for more player rentals. How can anyone think he is a team player or cares about Portland? He is all about himself. If I were the GM, I would call his bluff and use all the draft picks. It's the only way the Blazers will ever return to contention.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

I think this year's draft class top 5 players all have legit all-star potential a few years down the line. Hopefully we get a top 5 pick and don't trade it away unless we get a current all-star back in return for that pick and some of our baggage.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

squintsdd wrote:
Everythingsducky wrote:
squintsdd wrote:

Maybe that's the excuse the NBA is giving, but the blazers were still very capable of making the play-in games when they started tanking. In my opinion the penalty for tanking should be harsher than a fine. Losing the first round pick would be more acceptable
The Blazers were already eliminated when they shut down Lillard.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Boom wrote:
They were 32-40 when Lillard got shut down. I don't think they would have made the playoffs anyway, but they were not mathematically out of it yet.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Boom wrote:
squintsdd wrote:
Everythingsducky wrote:
squintsdd wrote:

They sat Simons, nurkic, Grant, and Lillard. The Blazers still were very much in the running for the 10th spot when they began sitting their starters. You can say that they were in the outside looking in, but the fact is that they still were alive and well, and fans pay good money to sit in the seats and watch their team play.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

Phalanx wrote:
Boom wrote:
They were 32-40 when Lillard got shut down. I don't think they would have made the playoffs anyway, but they were not mathematically out of it yet.
Right, they would have had to won out to have a chance. The team wasn't good enough to do that. Dallas could have made the play in had they wanted to.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

squintsdd wrote: They sat Simons, nurkic, Grant, and Lillard. The Blazers still were very much in the running for the 10th spot when they began sitting their starters. You can say that they were in the outside looking in, but the fact is that they still were alive and well, and fans pay good money to sit in the seats and watch their team play.
Not even close
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

The Thunder finished 40-42, and one of the last 10 games was a win against the Blazers. If the Blazers win that game, they might have gotten in with a 7-3 record in the last 10 games that Lillard sat out (not sure what the tie-break situation was with OKC). Also, they really had no idea with 10 games to go how the chips would fall. From their perspective with 10 games to go, they could have tried to make a run, and made a conscious decision to go for the better draft pick instead. Just like the Mavs.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

Phalanx wrote:The Thunder finished 40-42, and one of the last 10 games was a win against the Blazers. If the Blazers win that game, they might have gotten in with a 7-3 record in the last 10 games that Lillard sat out (not sure what the tie-break situation was with OKC). Also, they really had no idea with 10 games to go how the chips would fall. From their perspective with 10 games to go, they could have tried to make a run, and made a conscious decision to go for the better draft pick instead. Just like the Mavs.
OKC had the tie breaker.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Boom wrote:
squintsdd wrote: They sat Simons, nurkic, Grant, and Lillard. The Blazers still were very much in the running for the 10th spot when they began sitting their starters. You can say that they were in the outside looking in, but the fact is that they still were alive and well, and fans pay good money to sit in the seats and watch their team play.
Not even close
Very accurate
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Clearly the Blazers tanked. That said, I think the reason they got away with it was because the players they sat did have nagging injuries throughout the year and had missed time from those ailments.

Could they have pushed through those injuries if making a real playoff run? Absolutely. But could they also justify sitting players to rest those injuries with a decent enough paper trail to "prove" said injuries exist? Absolutely. Lillard was missing key games BEFORE he was shut down, and let's be real -- without Lillard, Portland doesn't make the play-in even if nobody else sits.

The Mavs trotted out Luka for a Q1 encore before sitting him and tanking.

I don't think the Mavs should be fined simply for saying the quiet part out loud, but it's clear to me why the NBA is handling each team differently.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Blazers move up two spots in the draft order but still miss out on the Victor Wenbanyama sweepstakes (sucks seeing the Spurs get it.) Now the decision becomes whether to trade it or keep the pick but trade Dame.