Kyrie

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Re: Kyrie

Post by dd10snoop28 »

buckmarkduck wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:I don't understand why there's a tension between them. What LeBron said in support of China was cowardly and supportive of an evil regime. What Kyrie said about Jews was stupid and supportive of an old hatred that has had tragic consequences. Both should be criticized.

Did Kylie SAY anything though?

Here is a fun clip making fun of this situation.
https://youtu.be/_m-gO0HSCYk
lol even Chapelle is getting blasted for doing what a comedian has always done... that is, point out and make fun of common stereotypes.

The fact that the response to Kyrie/Kanye has been to completely shut them down - as opposed to thoughtful discourse explaining why their ideas lack merit - is indicative that our society is headed for a crash course. THAT mentality previously only applied to major institutions (corporations, universities, media etc...), but it has now extended to government entities who are trying to shut down what they deem as "disinformation", which is about 5 million times more dangerous than those other entities... why? Because the government has ability to imprison/punish; whereas, those other entities only have limited powers..... I mean, there is a reason that all "democracies" have placed a heavy emphasis on free speech. Now we are realizing the reason behind everything our founders put in place.

Anyways, a bit of a diatribe for the conversation at hand, but also somewhat related as it indicates that our current system is ripe for serious downfall.
dd10snoop28
Senior

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Now they are going after Ja Morant.

"Ja's conduct was irresponsible, reckless and potentially very dangerous," Silver said in the release. "It also has serious consequences given his enormous following and influence, particularly among young fans who look up to him. He has expressed sincere contrition and remorse for his behavior. Ja has also made it clear to me that he has learned from this incident and that he understands his obligations and responsibility to the Memphis Grizzlies and the broader NBA community extend well beyond his play on the court."

-Kyrie Irving posts "black power" documentary = 10 game suspension + $500k donation + multiple forced apologies + required meeting with Jewish community
-Ja Morant posts picture of himself with a gun in a bar = 8 game suspension + required 2-week therapy + forced apologies
-Draymond Green punches the lights out of teammate = no suspension
-LeBron criticizing Rockets GM for condemning genocidal China = no suspension

It sounds like Ja has a history for getting into physical entanglements, but it is funny that the NBA only chooses to take actions after he legally filmed himself dancing with a firearm. Not saying I condone what he did, but you'd think they would suspend him for the multiple accusation of assault that he has had the past year rather than legally carrying a firearm?

Agendas.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I think you're reading far too much into the Ja situation. The NBA isn't suspending him because of some agenda. It's suspending him to save face after the Washington Post unearthed a series of police reports highlighting dangerous & destructive habits.

Either the NBA knew of those incidents and looked the other way, or (worse) the NBA was clueless and is now playing catchup. Both are terrible looks.

The instagun incident just gave the NBA an excuse to take "corrective" action.

Ja should be suspended. Anyone else with such a public-facing role would likely face harsher discipline. This whole thing is sloppy though (including the complete lack of action regarding Draymond's punch) and makes the NBA look more like the NCAA.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Families drive fanhood and eyeballs for basketball (and baseball, though adult men really are the foundation of NFL fanhood). Having a s*** role model as one of the faces of your league when you depend on children and their parents is bad business. Plain and simple.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

StevensTechU wrote:Families drive fanhood and eyeballs for basketball (and baseball, though adult men really are the foundation of NFL fanhood). Having a s*** role model as one of the faces of your league when you depend on children and their parents is bad business. Plain and simple.
Aren’t most NBA players poor role models? Since when is going to strip club and carrying a gun now attributes of a bad role model? Majority have always been doing this…

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

StevensTechU wrote:Families drive fanhood and eyeballs for basketball (and baseball, though adult men really are the foundation of NFL fanhood). Having a s*** role model as one of the faces of your league when you depend on children and their parents is bad business. Plain and simple.
Aren’t most NBA players poor role models? Since when is going to strip club and carrying a gun now attributes of a bad role model? Majority have always been doing this…

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Ah yes, the good old, what's wrong with getting into fights with minors, laser-dotting your opponent after a game and then dangling a hand-gun in a strip club.

Why are more people not sticking up for Ja's right to do what again?

Grow the F up with some of these takes. This isn't how you're supposed to behave, period.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Duck07 wrote:Ah yes, the good old, what's wrong with getting into fights with minors, laser-dotting your opponent after a game and then dangling a hand-gun in a strip club.

Grow the F up with some of these takes. This isn't how you're supposed to behave, period.
I think the point is, don't look to the NBA for role models. There are far better places to go.

Additionally, NBA players do these shenanigans all the time and get zero to lesser punishments. The consistency isn't there so it begs the question.

pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
Duck07 wrote:Ah yes, the good old, what's wrong with getting into fights with minors, laser-dotting your opponent after a game and then dangling a hand-gun in a strip club.

I think the point is, don't look to the NBA for role models. There are far better places to go.

Additionally, NBA players do these shenanigans all the time and get zero to lesser punishments. The consistency isn't there so it begs the question.
Can you provide some data to all these shenanigans you’re talking about that are like this?
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

UOducksTK1 wrote:

I look forward to your educational seminars for all of America's youth dissuading them from looking up to sports stars.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

StevensTechU wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:

I look forward to your educational seminars for all of America's youth dissuading them from looking up to sports stars.
I'm not the one arguing for reform among athletes. That seldom is, or will be, a beacon of truth for a young generation to glean from.

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

pudgejeff wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:

Can you provide some data to all these shenanigans you’re talking about that are like this?
Which of the millions do you want me to start with? How about one local one...
Oregon star running back LaMichael James wasn't in the lineup for the Ducks' season-opening 72-0 win over New Mexico. Last season James set a Pac-10-record by rushing for 1,546 yards as a freshman. But during this offseason James was charged with menacing, strangulation and assault after an altercation with his former girlfriend. In March he pled guilty to a single misdemeanor harassment charge and was sentenced to 10 days in jail, but didn't serve any time. Instead, James was permitted to wear an electronic surveillance device. Oregon coach Chip Kelly suspended James for one game.

One game for a misdemeanor?

How about a more recent example too:
"Alabama basketball star Brandon Miller brought a teammate the handgun that was used to kill a woman last month, according to police."

0 game suspension.

Now tell me again, what crime was Ja charged with?

dd10snoop28
Senior

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Reread my post, I think you are misunderstanding my point, which is disappointing. This is an entirely different situation compared to Kyrie. Ja seems to be exhibiting criminal behavior (if the allegations are true), while Kyrie has not. My argument is not on whether Ja should be held to account for what he has done (he certainly should be, if true), but the timing of his "discipline" is the part that demonstrates the agenda. Here is what I said:

"It sounds like Ja has a history for getting into physical entanglements, but it is funny that the NBA only chooses to take actions after he legally filmed himself dancing with a firearm. Not saying I condone what he did, but you'd think they would suspend him for the multiple accusation of assault that he has had the past year rather than legally carrying a firearm?"

The point is that the NBA did NOT take any actions on all of his allegations over the past two years, but only took action when he filmed himself with a gun at a party.... Why didn't they suspend him and/or discipline for all of the previous allegations?

Now all of the stories running in the mainstream media is that they suspended him for carrying a gun (totally legal) rather than all of his actual felonious activities he has been accused of.

That's the agenda.

P.S. I am more inclined to believe that he has actually done the things he is being accused just the fact that there have been multiple instances of these type of things happening (assaults). That raises another question on how organizations should act in light of unverified allegations before the facts get born out in the court of law and/or court of public opinion. What to do?
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:

Which of the millions do you want me to start with? How about one local one...
Oregon star running back LaMichael James wasn't in the lineup for the Ducks' season-opening 72-0 win over New Mexico. Last season James set a Pac-10-record by rushing for 1,546 yards as a freshman. But during this offseason James was charged with menacing, strangulation and assault after an altercation with his former girlfriend. In March he pled guilty to a single misdemeanor harassment charge and was sentenced to 10 days in jail, but didn't serve any time. Instead, James was permitted to wear an electronic surveillance device. Oregon coach Chip Kelly suspended James for one game.

One game for a misdemeanor?

How about a more recent example too:
"Alabama basketball star Brandon Miller brought a teammate the handgun that was used to kill a woman last month, according to police."

0 game suspension.

Now tell me again, what crime was Ja charged with?
You said "Additionally, NBA players do these shenanigans all the time and get zero to lesser punishments." and then used 2 college examples, one from 10 ish years ago?
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

dd10snoop28 wrote: Reread my post, I think you are misunderstanding my point, which is disappointing. This is an entirely different situation compared to Kyrie. Ja seems to be exhibiting criminal behavior (if the allegations are true), while Kyrie has not. My argument is not on whether Ja should be held to account for what he has done (he certainly should be, if true), but the timing of his "discipline" is the part that demonstrates the agenda. Here is what I said:

"It sounds like Ja has a history for getting into physical entanglements, but it is funny that the NBA only chooses to take actions after he legally filmed himself dancing with a firearm. Not saying I condone what he did, but you'd think they would suspend him for the multiple accusation of assault that he has had the past year rather than legally carrying a firearm?"

The point is that the NBA did NOT take any actions on all of his allegations over the past two years, but only took action when he filmed himself with a gun at a party.... Why didn't they suspend him and/or discipline for all of the previous allegations?

Now all of the stories running in the mainstream media is that they suspended him for carrying a gun (totally legal) rather than all of his actual felonious activities he has been accused of.

That's the agenda.

P.S. I am more inclined to believe that he has actually done the things he is being accused just the fact that there have been multiple instances of these type of things happening (assaults). That raises another question on how organizations should act in light of unverified allegations before the facts get born out in the court of law and/or court of public opinion. What to do?
Not speaking to just you alone on the Ja takes but there isn't an "Agenda" issue and I'm not sure what the LeBron/Morey stuff has to do with it. Using China as some kind of "issue" is a classic "remove the timber from your own eye before attempting to remove the speck from mine." Sure, what they've done is bad but it still pales in comparison to the U.S. foreign and domestic policy so what does any of it matter? The NBA is a Corporation and all of its moves are made under the auspices of what is best for the Shareholders. There were likely talks with Ja prior to the IG moment, so that when it did happen, it was going to be met with a response from Adam Silver.