UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Kyrie

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Boom wrote:
dd10snoop28 wrote: Additionally, there is a larger point in all of this:
Society, media, and politicians have become so "enlightened" that we are now arriving at the point that words are thought to be more dangerous than (1) threats of violence, and (2) actual violence. It used to be thought that if someone proposed a ludicrous idea, that you show them the flaws of their argument through the persuasive means of forming a coherent and reasonable rebuttal ... because, guess what? when you "cancel" someone and tell them they need to apologize, donate $$, and go through a "repentance" tour, what you have effectively done is created a "scared" people into not thinking for themselves.... People in society are becoming fearful of exploring independent thoughts/ideas that are not mainstream for fear of becoming the next Kyrie/Kanye. Obviously, I'm not saying that their ideas are good or bad. What I am saying is that the way to defeat "misinformation" is with the truth.... not by cancelling.
You can't use or promote hate speech and not expect significant consequences. Most employers have long had zero tolerance for that. Kyrie and Kanye are not the examples you want to use for your political agenda.
Hate speech is so subjective. Look at the fake hate speech in BYU/Duke situation. Then look at the real hate speech in Oregon/BYU situation.

Another college team cancelled their game against BYU because of the fabricated hate speech. But then real hate speech happened, and Oregon did nothing really about it.

Hate speech is a political ideology, and is not consistent across hate. It's selective.

Which is why this Kyrie situation is silly to me, because there are many other examples of hate speech in professional sports that are not enforced. LeBron's consistent support for a country that treats humans like garbage. I have a Chinese co-worker who lived in the west countryside of China and she is heavily looked down on and her human rights are constantly being violated. She works in Shanghai but cannot own property there because of where she comes from. But LeBron is celebrated.

Again no consistency. It's all political.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
Boom wrote:
Society, media, and politicians have become so "enlightened" that we are now arriving at the point that words are thought to be more dangerous than (1) threats of violence, and (2) actual violence. It used to be thought that if someone proposed a ludicrous idea, that you show them the flaws of their argument through the persuasive means of forming a coherent and reasonable rebuttal ... because, guess what? when you "cancel" someone and tell them they need to apologize, donate $$, and go through a "repentance" tour, what you have effectively done is created a "scared" people into not thinking for themselves.... People in society are becoming fearful of exploring independent thoughts/ideas that are not mainstream for fear of becoming the next Kyrie/Kanye. Obviously, I'm not saying that their ideas are good or bad. What I am saying is that the way to defeat "misinformation" is with the truth.... not by cancelling.
You can't use or promote hate speech and not expect significant consequences. Most employers have long had zero tolerance for that. Kyrie and Kanye are not the examples you want to use for your political agenda.
Hate speech is so subjective. Look at the fake hate speech in BYU/Duke situation. Then look at the real hate speech in Oregon/BYU situation.

Another college team cancelled their game against BYU because of the fabricated hate speech. But then real hate speech happened, and Oregon did nothing really about it.

Hate speech is a political ideology, and is not consistent across hate. It's selective.

Which is why this Kyrie situation is silly to me, because there are many other examples of hate speech in professional sports that are not enforced. LeBron's consistent support for a country that treats humans like garbage. I have a Chinese co-worker who lived in the west countryside of China and she is heavily looked down on and her human rights are constantly being violated. She works in Shanghai but cannot own property there because of where she comes from. But LeBron is celebrated.

Lebron was heavily criticized over his criticism of Daryl Morrey's tweet.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Duck07 wrote:Who is the worse person: Kyrie or Obama? Kanye or Trump?
That is way too based of a take for this discussion haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Boom wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
Boom wrote:

This is untrue. Lebron got almost no criticism whatsoever and was supported by the NBA, while Morey was reprimanded by the NBA.

What Lebron did - IMO - was much more damaging than whatever Kyrie has ever done.

Here is a more accurate timeline on the Lebron/Morey story. Let me know if you note any differences in the backlash from NBA:

https://www.businessinsider.com/nba-chi ... rettable-6
Last edited by dd10snoop28 on Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Boom wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
Boom wrote:

What did his team or league do to address it?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Duck07 wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:
Lol.

Our government has been drone striking kids for years and is currently going bankrupt to fund a proxy war in Ukraine. But yes, let’s claw each others eyes out over a tweet by a freaking basketball player.
dd10snoop28
Senior

Post by dd10snoop28 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:
Lol.

Our government has been drone striking kids for years and is currently going bankrupt to fund a proxy war in Ukraine. But yes, let’s claw each others eyes out over a tweet by a freaking basketball player.
This is the sports forum. You can post that in the "other" forum, but likely not to lead to any interesting/engaging dialogue.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

dd10snoop28 wrote:This is the sports forum. You can post that in the "other" forum, but likely not to lead to any interesting/engaging dialogue.
It's the Duck07 Thread, if you will and this IS in the Other Guys sub-forum :ugeek:

Sticking with LeBron as it relates to Kyrie, he faced very little backlash (and rightfully) for his 21 Savage "ASMR" lyrics he posted 4 years
dd10snoop28
Senior

Post by dd10snoop28 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:
Lol.

While I agree with what you are saying, the pervasive level of cancellation that Kyrie/Kanye are experiencing should be worrisome to anyone. Basically, the media can control who/what should be cancelled because all of the corporation are in lock-step with much of the media attention.

Like I have said - and have to continue to repeat because Boom thinks that Kyrie/Kanye are pushing my political agenda (not sure how or what my agenda is even) - the point is not what Kyrie has said, it is the unmeasured response to what he has said... The actions that the Nets are taking for him to demonstrate his "remorsefulness" are just so extremely absurd that it should shock everyone no matter what your background is.

On a separate note, the whole point of the Nets 5-step program is so that they can someone coerce Kyrie into remorse. It's truly insanity.

There are many implications of this story that make it interesting, but obviously it will get written off by people who think that Kyrie/Kanye "deserve it" because of the whacky things they believe. If that's your perspective I think u are missing the point.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

dd10snoop28 wrote:This is untrue. Lebron got almost no criticism whatsoever and was supported by the NBA, while Morey was reprimanded by the NBA.
Lebron was heavily criticized in the media. It was well covered.
dd10snoop28 wrote:What Lebron did - IMO - was much more damaging than whatever Kyrie has ever done.
The situation was very different. I don't see how you can compare them.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I don't understand why there's a tension between them. What LeBron said in support of China was cowardly and supportive of an evil regime. What Kyrie said about Jews was stupid and supportive of an old hatred that has had tragic consequences. Both should be criticized.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

And I'll add, if either of them shows some remorse, I'm happy to forgive them. It's good to forgive.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I have now read a couple of articles about this, and am more confused that ever. Did Kyrie actually say something anti-Jewish? This is the statement from the team:

“We were dismayed today, when given an opportunity in a media session, that Kyrie refused to unequivocally say he has no antisemitic beliefs, nor acknowledge specific hateful material in the film. This was not the first time he had the opportunity — but failed — to clarify. Such failure to disavow antisemitism ... is deeply disturbing, and constitutes conduct detrimental to the team,” the Nets’ statement said.

This is a ridiculous statement. He didn't dance for you and admit he is a big fat anti-semite, so you find that deeply disturbing, blah blah blah. I can't find a meaningful interaction about the contents of the video and the issues with that or even Kyrie's opinion about the video, it's all just 'Kyrie didn't admit he's the devil, so he's clearly the devil'.

Honestly, it makes me want to watch the video. :lol:
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Tray Dub wrote:I don't understand why there's a tension between them. What LeBron said in support of China was cowardly and supportive of an evil regime. What Kyrie said about Jews was stupid and supportive of an old hatred that has had tragic consequences. Both should be criticized.

Did Kylie SAY anything though?

Here is a fun clip making fun of this situation.
https://youtu.be/_m-gO0HSCYk