Kyrie

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Kyrie

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Some background:
Kyrie posted a link on twitter to a Hebrew Israelite documentary (i.e. a wacko group of black people who think they are the true Hebewrs of the Bible). Now the NBA has suspended Kyrie and wants him to jump through a bunch of hoops (apologize to Jewish community, talk to local rabbis, donate $500k to anti-racism NFP's, and a bunch of other things) so that they won't keep him suspended.

After that, Kyrie met with the NBA commissioner (Adam Silver)who assured he media that Kyrie is not anti-semitic, and when asked if the "hoops" he needs to jump through are too harsh, he said: "...what is most important here is that the remorse be truly authentic and genuine. And I think that will best come by conditions that are agreed to upon as opposed to imposed on him. "

Re-read that quote, and tell me what is wrong with that statement.

Thoughts?
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Re: Kyrie

Post by pezsez1 »

Kyrie is an idiot. Pretty much single-handedly ruined title-ready teams in Boston and Brooklyn. Vaccination issues aside, all he had to do to "bounce back" from that was to not promote Alex Jones or conspiracy theories on social media.

Now he's borderline untradable. I'd thought he was a sure-thing for the Lakers, but now, not sure. I don't think his antics would be welcome in LA, and I'm also not sure Lebron would want Kyrie to be more associated with his brand than he already is.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

pezsez1 wrote:Kyrie is an idiot. Pretty much single-handedly ruined title-ready teams in Boston and Brooklyn. Vaccination issues aside, all he had to do to "bounce back" from that was to not promote Alex Jones or conspiracy theories on social media.

Now he's borderline untradable. I'd thought he was a sure-thing for the Lakers, but now, not sure. I don't think his antics would be welcome in LA, and I'm also not sure Lebron would want Kyrie to be more associated with his brand than he already is.
It should've been apparent to everyone that Kyrie is a moron when he came out as a flat earther.
dd10snoop28
Senior

Post by dd10snoop28 »

pezsez1 wrote:Kyrie is an idiot. Pretty much single-handedly ruined title-ready teams in Boston and Brooklyn. Vaccination issues aside, all he had to do to "bounce back" from that was to not promote Alex Jones or conspiracy theories on social media.

LeBron’s brand is not much better than Kyrie’a yet somehow Lebron gets a free pass and Kylie doesn’t.

Lebron called the former Rockets GM “uneducated” when the GM had criticized China’s treatment of the Uyghur Muslims in concentration camps.

Of course, LeBron’s brand I’m not impacted by this, but somehow Kylie is the spawn of Satan for retweeting a link to a Hebrew Israelite movie???

It’s all bananas.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

I actually thought the anti-semite thing was a positive learning forum for a lot of people that struggle with criticism. He came out and defended the tweet at first because all he could hear was people saying he was an anti-semite and he knew he wasn't so it didn't make sense. Once he was able to take a step back and take his walls down, he could apologize for the thing he did because he's not an anti-semite and explain the good reasons he had posted it.
dd10snoop28
Senior

Post by dd10snoop28 »

pudgejeff wrote:I actually thought the anti-semite thing was a positive learning forum for a lot of people that struggle with criticism. He came out and defended the tweet at first because all he could hear was people saying he was an anti-semite and he knew he wasn't so it didn't make sense. Once he was able to take a step back and take his walls down, he could apologize for the thing he did because he's not an anti-semite and explain the good reasons he had posted it.
Agree. However, what the Nets are doing now - based off the 5-step program they have set up for him - is basically forcing him to bend his knee to say exactly what they want him to say.

Funny enough, when they had levied the 5-game ban on him, they said his press conference was unacceptable and that he didn't apologize.... which is both absurd and untrue. I actually watched the "press conference" (just a few reporters around him after shoot around) and he admitted that some of the things in the movie were untrue and that he was wrong, and was sorry for offending anyone.

And that was after they had coerced him into donating $500k (!) to the ADL.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I haven't followed this story: All he did was post a video? I am surprised if this strong reaction is just because of a video. I've heard of these 'Hebrew Israelite' people and listened to some of their stuff, and then of course, they made the news when they were ripping on that class of Catholic school kids who were wrongly accused of 'smirking' and being rude to that Native American guy (You know...MAGA hat kid). They just seem like people trying to re-write history like so many other groups. They may be anti-Jewish, or even Anti-Semitic- I didn't get that far with them. They lost me when they tried to make a hereditary connection with ancient Hebrews. Just making stuff up.

I of course agreed with Kyrie's decision not to get the fake vaccine, and I'm sure that has marked him for some kind of cancellation by those in authority who demanded that everyone comply. I heard his dalliance with flat-earth stuff was a joke, but maybe others have better info. Lots of people think crazy stuff; I'm not sure how much it has to do with basketball.
dd10snoop28
Senior

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Phalanx wrote:I haven't followed this story: All he did was post a video? I am surprised if this strong reaction is just because of a video. I've heard of these 'Hebrew Israelite' people and listened to some of their stuff, and then of course, they made the news when they were ripping on that class of Catholic school kids who were wrongly accused of 'smirking' and being rude to that Native American guy (You know...MAGA hat kid). They just seem like people trying to re-write history like so many other groups. They may be anti-Jewish, or even Anti-Semitic- I didn't get that far with them. They lost me when they tried to make a hereditary connection with ancient Hebrews. Just making stuff up.

I of course agreed with Kyrie's decision not to get the fake vaccine, and I'm sure that has marked him for some kind of cancellation by those in authority who demanded that everyone comply. I heard his dalliance with flat-earth stuff was a joke, but maybe others have better info. Lots of people think crazy stuff; I'm not sure how much it has to do with basketball.
I think a lot of these larger institutions are making concerted effort to begin excluding certain people from normal societal functions. Whether you agree or not, the (fake) vaccination thing was the same effort. None of it made any sense, but not enough people thought to question the extreme measures that were being taken because it "kept us safe". On the same note, not enough people are making a fuss about this situation because being politically correct is more important than protecting someone's right to look like a fool. Of course, the Nets are a private organization and have that right, but I bet there are 100s of NBA players that have said much worse things on social media which will never face the backlash that Kyrie said.

Lastly, I think he is being made an example because he is an easy target. IF people (rightly) resist this decision by the NBA, then other people can respond by saying that Kyrie is just crazy, and in some rights, they are not wrong. But being a wacko should not result in the absurd restrictions that the Nets are placing on Kyrie.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I don't think what's going on now has very much to do with Kyrie refusing to get vaccinated. Kyrie's poor decision to hang his team out to dry over a safe & rigorously tested vaccine was balanced by the stupidity of New York's entertainment-specific vaccination requirements toward the end of the pandemic.

This backlash, in my opinion, was mostly in regard to a grown-ass man biting hard on a BS documentary riddled with conspiracy theories. And he didn't help himself by giving props to Alex Jones fairly recently.

I don't think many people ever believed that Kyrie was anti-semitic. But he was promoting anti-semitism by endorsing an anti-semitic video. Did Kyrie fully understand what he was doing? No, of course not. He's a massive idiot. Dude thought the world was flat and was probably a huge "Plandemic" fan. I mean, who gives props to Alex Jones who isn't a total moron? That said, spreading or passively promoting conspiracies (especially of such magnitude) is dangerous and harmful -- arguably more harmful than simply being anti-semitic.

Either way, I'm just glad he's paired with KD, because that takes KD out of the running for a title and provides more opportunities to other teams. ;)
Willie Taggart is a dick.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

pezsez1 wrote:I don't think what's going on now has very much to do with Kyrie refusing to get vaccinated. Kyrie's poor decision to hang his team out to dry over a safe & rigorously tested vaccine was balanced by the stupidity of New York's entertainment-specific vaccination requirements toward the end of the pandemic.

This backlash, in my opinion, was mostly in regard to a grown-ass man biting hard on a BS documentary riddled with conspiracy theories. And he didn't help himself by giving props to Alex Jones fairly recently.

I don't think many people ever believed that Kyrie was anti-semitic. But he was promoting anti-semitism by endorsing an anti-semitic video. Did Kyrie fully understand what he was doing? No, of course not. He's a massive idiot. Dude thought the world was flat and was probably a huge "Plandemic" fan. I mean, who gives props to Alex Jones who isn't a total moron? That said, spreading or passively promoting conspiracies (especially of such magnitude) is dangerous and harmful -- arguably more harmful than simply being anti-semitic.

Either way, I'm just glad he's paired with KD, because that takes KD out of the running for a title and provides more opportunities to other teams. ;)

What’s crazier to believe, flat earth or that more than a few teams have a shot at a title in the nba?
dd10snoop28
Senior

Post by dd10snoop28 »

pezsez1 wrote:I don't think what's going on now has very much to do with Kyrie refusing to get vaccinated. Kyrie's poor decision to hang his team out to dry over a safe & rigorously tested vaccine was balanced by the stupidity of New York's entertainment-specific vaccination requirements toward the end of the pandemic.

There is a lot of misinformation in that post, but I'll refrain from engaging on most of it for topical purposes.

Here's the long-short:

A "grown man biting on a BS documentary" should never merit the level of derision, extent of his suspension, and absurd terms of re-instatement that he has received.

Draymond Green knocked out his teammate which could have had actual long-term physical damage to Jordan Poole. Result? No suspension, and a 10-minute self-narrated documentary showing how he himself is the vicimim somehow.

Compare that with Kyrie Irving who posted a kooky conspiracy theory on Instagram (maybe twitter?) and has been treated like a nazi sympathizer.

Additionally, there is a larger point in all of this:
Society, media, and politicians have become so "enlightened" that we are now arriving at the point that words are thought to be more dangerous than (1) threats of violence, and (2) actual violence. It used to be thought that if someone proposed a ludicrous idea, that you show them the flaws of their argument through the persuasive means of forming a coherent and reasonable rebuttal ... because, guess what? when you "cancel" someone and tell them they need to apologize, donate $$, and go through a "repentance" tour, what you have effectively done is created a "scared" people into not thinking for themselves.... People in society are becoming fearful of exploring independent thoughts/ideas that are not mainstream for fear of becoming the next Kyrie/Kanye. Obviously, I'm not saying that their ideas are good or bad. What I am saying is that the way to defeat "misinformation" is with the truth.... not by cancelling.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Not gonna really hop into this conversation because I don’t know a ton, but what I learned is I guess don’t watch bad documentaries or you should lose your job.

Noted!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

dd10snoop28 wrote:

There is a lot of misinformation in that post, but I'll refrain from engaging on most of it for topical purposes.

Here's the long-short:

A "grown man biting on a BS documentary" should never merit the level of derision, extent of his suspension, and absurd terms of re-instatement that he has received.

Draymond Green knocked out his teammate which could have had actual long-term physical damage to Jordan Poole. Result? No suspension, and a 10-minute self-narrated documentary showing how he himself is the vicimim somehow.

Compare that with Kyrie Irving who posted a kooky conspiracy theory on Instagram (maybe twitter?) and has been treated like a nazi sympathizer.

Additionally, there is a larger point in all of this:
Society, media, and politicians have become so "enlightened" that we are now arriving at the point that words are thought to be more dangerous than (1) threats of violence, and (2) actual violence. It used to be thought that if someone proposed a ludicrous idea, that you show them the flaws of their argument through the persuasive means of forming a coherent and reasonable rebuttal ... because, guess what? when you "cancel" someone and tell them they need to apologize, donate $$, and go through a "repentance" tour, what you have effectively done is created a "scared" people into not thinking for themselves.... People in society are becoming fearful of exploring independent thoughts/ideas that are not mainstream for fear of becoming the next Kyrie/Kanye. Obviously, I'm not saying that their ideas are good or bad. What I am saying is that the way to defeat "misinformation" is with the truth.... not by cancelling.
This X100. I don’t agree with Kyrie, but do you know the best way to punish someone you disagree with? Ignore them. The comparison to Draymond’s lack of punishment is a very good comparison. Let people, even if their professional athletes, have their opinions. To those that like Kyrie’s punishment, how did you feel when LeBron was told “Shut up and dribble”?
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

dd10snoop28 wrote: Additionally, there is a larger point in all of this:
You can't use or promote hate speech and not expect significant consequences. Most employers have long had zero tolerance for that. Kyrie and Kanye are not the examples you want to use for your political agenda.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Who is the worse person: Kyrie or Obama? Kanye or Trump?