UW QB Penix returning for 2023

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

UW QB Penix returning for 2023

Post by greenyellow »

UW got a big boost with Michael Penix saying he's coming back for another year.
dthomas=ddixon

Re: UW QB Penix returning for 2023

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Yuck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Nothing would please me more than for Oregon to go into Seattle next year and beat down a Penix team and a Caleb Williams USC team.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Good for them. If I'm a washington fan, I'm elated. If I'm a Ducks fan, this moves the needle but just a little. If Nix comes back, Oregon's the better team next year.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I was actually really curious to see how Washington could be without Penix.

Now Washington might be the hardest game on the schedule next year.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:I was actually really curious to see how Washington could be without Penix.

It's Deboer, not Penix. His record at multiple spots, at multiple levels, is outstanding and he makes QBs not the other way around. Sure talent helps and some QBs will be better than others, but he always gets good to great qb play.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:I was actually really curious to see how Washington could be without Penix.

It's Deboer, not Penix. His record at multiple spots, at multiple levels, is outstanding and he makes QBs not the other way around. Sure talent helps and some QBs will be better than others, but he always gets good to great qb play.
Fair, but Penix's stats as a Freshman and Sophomore at Indiana are pretty comparable when interpolated. I think they take a big drop when he leave, unless they get another star QB transfer.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

StevensTechU wrote:Good for them. If I'm a washington fan, I'm elated. If I'm a Ducks fan, this moves the needle but just a little. If Nix comes back, Oregon's the better team next year.
Seems like this is impossible to say until the portal windows close.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

wlduck wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:Good for them. If I'm a washington fan, I'm elated. If I'm a Ducks fan, this moves the needle but just a little. If Nix comes back, Oregon's the better team next year.
Seems like this is impossible to say until the portal windows close.
Agreed, both teams could potentially improve their defense via the transfer portal. In reality, it’s hard to know how good a team is until a game or two is played.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:It's Deboer, not Penix. His record at multiple spots, at multiple levels, is outstanding and he makes QBs not the other way around. Sure talent helps and some QBs will be better than others, but he always gets good to great qb play.
Fair, but Penix's stats as a Freshman and Sophomore at Indiana are pretty comparable when interpolated. I think they take a big drop when he leave, unless they get another star QB transfer.
You don't need a star QB in his system though because the Offense is called from the sidelines. All of the same arguments about Chip's system making all of the reads for the QB is the same thing for DeBoer's Offense.

It's why Pennix had such great stats but NFL GM's are all like "yeah, that stuff doesn't work in the NFL" and guys like Will Levis and Anthony Richardson who do have to make pre-snap reads and calls are viewed with more upside. Mind you this is also part of the reason why Bo isn't considered a high-upside QB because our System makes most of the reads for the QB.

Penix returning isn't a good thing for us but it does make the rivalry more fun and intense when the teams are both ranked.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

Duck07 wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:It's Deboer, not Penix. His record at multiple spots, at multiple levels, is outstanding and he makes QBs not the other way around. Sure talent helps and some QBs will be better than others, but he always gets good to great qb play.
You don't need a star QB in his system though because the Offense is called from the sidelines. All of the same arguments about Chip's system making all of the reads for the QB is the same thing for DeBoer's Offense.

It's why Pennix had such great stats but NFL GM's are all like "yeah, that stuff doesn't work in the NFL" and guys like Will Levis and Anthony Richardson who do have to make pre-snap reads and calls are viewed with more upside. Mind you this is also part of the reason why Bo isn't considered a high-upside QB because our System makes most of the reads for the QB.

Penix returning isn't a good thing for us but it does make the rivalry more fun and intense when the teams are both ranked.
Arm talent matters in the League. Nix is a bottom half arm talent guy in the NFL. Penix is at least top half.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

is aPenix-citis dangerous?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Penix is overrated and his arm talent is overrated and will probably be a career NFL backup. I might be wrong tho.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

dd10snoop28 wrote:Penix is overrated and his arm talent is overrated and will probably be a career NFL backup. I might be wrong tho.
He throws 10 yard deep outs 30 yards across the field on a rope. He has the arm talent. Now that alone doesn’t guarantee success in the NFL. But without it, very few succeed. I don’t know if he’ll make it as a starter, but he’ll have a long career as a backup at a minimum.
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Post by Zyme »

Penix's decision cost UW their backup, former 5 star QB in 21 (#3 overall QB in '21)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... er-portal/

He was the only 5 star in their 2021 class
https://washington.rivals.com/commitments/football/2021
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)