Mike Leach taken to hospital EDIT: RIP Coach

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

karlhungis
All Pac-12

Re: Mike Leach taken to hospital

Post by karlhungis »

Sounds like he's been moved to something similar to hospice care.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

He is 61, way to young to be where he is……
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

SAD UPDATE: He passed away today...
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

DuckzRule wrote:SAD UPDATE: He passed away today...
I just saw that on ESPN. That is sad. It also makes me feel more vulnerable, turning 60 in a few months, having a stent put in last year, and trying to manage heart disease.

Prayers going up for his family at this difficult time.
John 3:36
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Swing your Sword, Coach.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

RIP, Leach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

SuperDuck wrote:
I just saw that on ESPN. That is sad. It also makes me feel more vulnerable, turning 60 in a few months, having a stent put in last year, and trying to manage heart disease.

It is never too early to start thinking about heart health, I had a double bypass last year, I’m 63.

He will be missed by most, RIP pirate!
81Duck
One Star Recruit

Post by 81Duck »

Alan wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:

It is never too early to start thinking about heart health, I had a double bypass last year, I’m 63.

There are lots of good diagnostic tests to assess your heart health. Unfortunately most insurance won't pay unless you have a diagnosis. You can always call your primary care doctor and complain of shortness of breath or chest pain. That's a sure fire way to get in quickly and get tests done. Your family history is another great barometer to assess your risk. There are also full body scans you can have done relatively inexpensively to detect heart issues, possible cancer, etc. If you're up there in age, like over 50, (like some of us) a yearly physical with complete blood workup is probably your best option. Lots of insurance will pay for that to keep you out of the hospital/ER.

Always enjoyed listening to Mike Leach but got the impression he probably wasn't the best guardian of his health. Who knows?!
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

College football will certainly miss Leach, what a great personality he was and he always gave us memorable quotes. Prayers to his family and MSU.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

81Duck wrote:
Alan wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:

There are lots of good diagnostic tests to assess your heart health. Unfortunately most insurance won't pay unless you have a diagnosis. You can always call your primary care doctor and complain of shortness of breath or chest pain. That's a sure fire way to get in quickly and get tests done. Your family history is another great barometer to assess your risk. There are also full body scans you can have done relatively inexpensively to detect heart issues, possible cancer, etc. If you're up there in age, like over 50, (like some of us) a yearly physical with complete blood workup is probably your best option. Lots of insurance will pay for that to keep you out of the hospital/ER.

Always enjoyed listening to Mike Leach but got the impression he probably wasn't the best guardian of his health. Who knows?!
Sadly, poor health seems to come with the profession. Long hours, little sleep, poor diet, etc. If anyone is interested, the book Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker is a must read. Sleep is the most important and most neglected aspect of our health in America.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

My wife, who knows almost nothing about football, knows who Mike Leach is. That's the footprint he leaves. Very sad. I know everyone is talking about health and prolonging life, but that is merely delaying the inevitable. Watching Coach Leach get struck down so suddenly should motivate one to get right with God and family.
Last edited by Phalanx on Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

81Duck wrote:
Alan wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:

Exactly right, I went to my GP with complaints about legs getting cold, shortness of breath and fatigue, she drew blood to check a couple of things and then off to a cardiologist. I was lucky in that I was seeing a cardiologist and through a few test and a case of angina it was straight into a angiogram. I will get off my soapbox, but t don’t assume you are just getting old and this is how it is. Communication with doctors may save your life. There is a good chance coach Leach ignored some warning signs.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Mike Leach taken to hospital EDIT: RIP Coach

Post by UOducksTK1 »

RIP, you will be missed.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

RIP, Pirate!

You were always entertaining.

Prayers to family and friends.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Evidently I Don’t know how to post a pic either! If someone can post a pic of Mississippi St. Bowl helmet it is worth the look, class act!