The natty between Georgia and TCU

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Re: The natty between Georgia and TCU

Post by alxtw »

Michigan was ranked much higher than it should have been ranked too.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

alxtw wrote:Michigan was ranked much higher than it should have been ranked too.
Michigan had a perfect regular season and beat Ohio State by multiple scores on the road.

Reality is that there was a massive chasm between Georgia and everyone else. Ohio State matched up well, but got beat like a drum at home against Michigan..TCU beat that same Michigan team in the semis.

Tennessee? Got their asses kicked by South Carolina. Alabama? Didn't even win their division.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

TCU finishes #2 in the AP poll, haha. Oregon finishes at 15, despite the bowl victory. Utah, who lost to Oregon and finished with a worse record, is ranked 10. Seems legit.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

StevensTechU wrote:
alxtw wrote:Michigan was ranked much higher than it should have been ranked too.
Michigan had a perfect regular season and beat Ohio State by multiple scores on the road.

Reality is that there was a massive chasm between Georgia and everyone else. Ohio State matched up well, but got beat like a drum at home against Michigan..TCU beat that same Michigan team in the semis.

Tennessee? Got their asses kicked by South Carolina. Alabama? Didn't even win their division.
Michigan played the worst they possibly could have and had everything go wrong and still almost beat TCU. You play that game 9 more times and they win all of them, by multiple touchdowns most likely.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

pudgejeff wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:

Michigan played the worst they possibly could have and had everything go wrong and still almost beat TCU. You play that game 9 more times and they win all of them, by multiple touchdowns most likely.
Exactly. TCU should’ve lost multiple games this season, I don’t think they’re truly a top 5 team, maybe barely a top 10 team. They ran completely out of luck with Georgia and it showed how far they have to go to match the top teams.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Michigan had one of the most garbage OOC's schedules in recent memory too. Screw rewarding them for that garbage and it isn't like they were scheduling teams that historically were good a few years ago, its the opposite: they were bad when they scheduled them.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

I'm thinking we should be thankful Oregon wasn't embarrassed as badly as that a few seasons ago vs tOSU... this was a historic beatdown.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Duck07 wrote:Michigan had one of the most garbage OOC's schedules in recent memory too. Screw rewarding them for that garbage and it isn't like they were scheduling teams that historically were good a few years ago, its the opposite: they were bad when they scheduled them.
100%. If I was Czar of CFB I would’ve barred both tOSU and Michigan from the CFP for not operating in good faith. Their schedules were a joke and, like you said, intentionally scheduled.
TheDrake
Two Star Recruit

Post by TheDrake »

TCU #2 is a travesty...complete joke
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

TheDrake wrote:TCU #2 is a travesty...complete joke
Who deserves #2 to you?
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

StevensTechU wrote:
TheDrake wrote:TCU #2 is a travesty...complete joke
Who deserves #2 to you?
Ohio State.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

The "TCU got lucky against Michigan" argument is fascinating to me. Michigan barely got by Illinois two games ago, yet folks talk about them like they're a juggernaut. Ohio State is essentially getting points for a "good looking loss" to Georgia, because they have no wins that leap off the page, as they got creamed by Michigan.

...The same Michigan that TCU beat on a neutral field.

Editing this post to make an addition because I don't think this thread needs yet another post from me.

To the extent that Ohio State, Michigan and TCU had a round robin, here are their respective records:

Ohio State: 0-1
Michigan: 1-1
TCU: 1-0
Last edited by StevensTechU on Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

StevensTechU wrote:The "TCU got lucky against Michigan" argument is fascinating to me. Michigan barely got by Illinois two games ago, yet folks talk about them like they're a juggernaut. Ohio State is essentially getting points for a "good looking loss" to Georgia, because they have no wins that leap off the page, as they got creamed by Michigan.

In all reality I don’t care who is #2, nobody will remember who was #2 years from now but everyone will remember this Georgia team as arguably the most dominant team in CFB history. It was just a weird year that there wasn’t a clear cut #2, it was Georgia then everybody else. I just personally believe from a talent perspective, Ohio State was probably the second best team and only team that had the potential to beat Georgia with their passing offense.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

StevensTechU wrote:The "TCU got lucky against Michigan" argument is fascinating to me. Michigan barely got by Illinois two games ago, yet folks talk about them like they're a juggernaut. Ohio State is essentially getting points for a "good looking loss" to Georgia, because they have no wins that leap off the page, as they got creamed by Michigan.

Oh I'm not trying to saying Michigan was special by any means, just that TCU was considerably worse than them. Georgia beats Michigan by 3-4 TD's I think as well, I don't think either of the the Big 10 teams were elite teams this year. With how little OOC scheduling happens nowadays, the new playoff is really needed. Most of the time half the teams that get in really probably shouldn't be there, but hopefully the top 4-5 will make there way in.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
Duck07 wrote:Michigan had one of the most garbage OOC's schedules in recent memory too. Screw rewarding them for that garbage and it isn't like they were scheduling teams that historically were good a few years ago, its the opposite: they were bad when they scheduled them.
100%. If I was Czar of CFB I would’ve barred both tOSU and Michigan from the CFP for not operating in good faith. Their schedules were a joke and, like you said, intentionally scheduled.
As much as I dislike Ohio St., how did they operate in bad faith? I think the B1G generally gets too much credit, when really it's just 2-3 teams a year that are actually really good teams, but they scheduled Notre Dame in the non-conference. On paper, that's a tough game, even if it turned out that ND had a down year by their standards. Michigan, on the other hand, absolutely played nobody, but I also don't know the history of their scheduling. It's possible they had to fill in gaps if other teams bailed. Their out of conference was atrocious, but reminds me of the Ducks in 2018, when they had to play Bowling Green, Portland St. and San Jose St. OOC, because a team bailed (can't remember if that year would have been a Georgia or A&M game), and they had to fill a spot last minute.

Either way, I'll be happy with the expanded playoffs, because the importance of OOC games will be minimized a bit, as well as subjective opinions of conference strength. Sure, there will still be some of that with at large bids, but at least every team will have a chance to say they had the opportunity to control their destiny by winning the conference.