Chargers coach

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: Chargers coach

Post by Duck07 »

Sean Payton would be such a bad choice for Herbert, both as a Head Coach and as a person. Dude's been clamoring for jobs of people he knows since early in the season and if you hate the Lombardi offense, hiring the "mastermind" behind it doesn't fill me with hope for Herbert but dread.

Shane Steichen is the name you should want to reunite with Justin if the Bolts fall today.

I however think the Defense will keep the game low-scoring enough that Justin and the offense will score enough to win before losing in KC next week. I think about 6 weeks ago Staley seemingly split with Lombardi as the Defense has been pretty darn good the last several weeks, albeit to non-playoff teams save MIA and that Staley will fire Lombardi to help keep his own job.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

This is just his most newsworthy gaffe. He’s been making routine in-game decisions look like he’s trying to do calculus in his head since he was hired. It’s another case of the Peter Principle; good coordinator that had no business being a HC.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:This is just his most newsworthy gaffe. He’s been making routine in-game decisions look like he’s trying to do calculus in his head since he was hired. It’s another case of the Peter Principle; good coordinator that had no business being a HC.
Exactly, and part of me wonders how the season would’ve turned it if he wasn’t forcing a hurry up offense on 1st and goal on the 1 when his players were calling for subs, that resulted in a pick six for the Chiefs when the Chargers should’ve about sealed the game right there.

Staley has no feel for the game, just feels like he guesses and tries to claim “analytics.”
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Chargers don't look to be hurting without him so far.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I'm with most of y'all about the way Staley is using Justin so inefficiently, but I have to admit that their defense is kicking some serious butt since he took over play calling. That first half vs. Jacksonville, Trevor Lawrence is being stymied at every turn (dude just threw his 4th pick!). Beautiful to watch. Hopefully they can keep it up.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Phalanx wrote:I'm with most of y'all about the way Staley is using Justin so inefficiently, but I have to admit that their defense is kicking some serious butt since he took over play calling. That first half vs. Jacksonville, Trevor Lawrence is being stymied at every turn (dude just threw his 4th pick!). Beautiful to watch. Hopefully they can keep it up.
I personally feel before ownership considered firing Staley that should force him to find a new OC. Lombardi would’ve been a good hire 15 years ago.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

This game is going to be the full Brandon Staley/Chargers Experience.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Chargers defense this half looking like the Oregon defense against Oregon State once they were up 31-10. Chargers defenders are out there playing like this is the Pro Bowl.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Duck07 wrote:This game is going to be the full Brandon Staley/Chargers Experience.
One hell of a prediction….
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Chargers found a way to choke away another game. Staley shouldn't be anywhere near the team again.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Yep. He’s an idiot.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Joey Bosa gets some credit here, what an absolute moron. First the lining up in the neutral zone penalty that directly led to a touchdown, then the helmet slamming that handed the winning point to the Jaguars. Unbelievable. Poor Justin had nobody to throw to, and had to watch his defense piss the game away. That must be maddening.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Staley caps the season with the most Staley game of all time. The most predictable comeback haha. What a waste, hope they move in from him.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Bad loss for Herbert. Bad look. But Staley will get axed within 24 hrs. Hopefully Herbert gets a quality HC, especially a quality OC. I had friends asking at half if I’m comfortable. After the Vik’s mass comeback this year, anything’s possible. But the percentages of being up 27 and losing?
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Phalanx wrote:I'm trying to figure out why people are calling for Staley's head over this one incident - it seems completely irrational on its face. Williams was going to have to play at some point, and he is injury prone. He didn't even play that many snaps. It makes little difference whether he gets injured in Game 17 or the wild card game, unless the argument is that he was still healing from some other injury. In fact, it might be better to get the injury out of the way. Someone else gets the snaps in playoff practice, and the team isn't demoralized mid-game by losing Williams. I've been saying for awhile that the Chargers need an upgrade to their receiving unit, and this episode will highlight that point heading into the draft.

I can only assume that people don't like Staley for other reasons which are not being articulated here, or that they enjoy blaming people in hindsight and seeing them get fired. Somebody on TV joked that Sean Payton is going to be the head coach for 10 teams next season. It's unrealistic for all these fan bases to always be bringing up his name.
Trying to figure it out? You haven’t watched many chargers games the last couple of years apparently.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine