Chargers coach

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: Chargers coach

Post by Duck07 »

Let this kind of stuff be a lesson for Lanning.

The Beavers collapse and this one aren't JUST on the Defenses but on the Offense trying to play small rather than aiming to score TDs. Time of Possession doesn't mean squat vs the Scoreboard.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Duck07 wrote:Let this kind of stuff be a lesson for Lanning.

The Beavers collapse and this one aren't JUST on the Defenses but on the Offense trying to play small rather than aiming to score TDs. Time of Possession doesn't mean squat vs the Scoreboard.
Gotta give it to Chip, he always kept his foot on the opponents' neck when he had them down and never let up. Loved that about him.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Duck07 wrote:
Phalanx wrote:It does feel in retrospect like Staley was playing not to lose on offense. Watching games all season, I am often left wondering why they didn't let Justin throw down the field more, and then I realize it's because there isn't anyone to throw to. They really missed Guyton this season, and if I were running that team, I would make acquiring a couple of top-notch receivers a major priority.
It isn't the offense that Joe Lombardi runs. That wasn't the type of offense when he worked with Payton in New Orleans and it wasn't the kind of offense when he was in Detroit with a comparable QB to Herbert in Stafford and it was clear when they cut Tyron Johnson last Fall that it was obvious that Staley and Lombardi didn't care about stretching the field.

The team is currently over the Cap in a bad way with 1/6 of the Cap Space tied up in Mike Williams and Keenan Allen. They as a team decided to go "All-In" this year and by resigning Mike Williams, they've put themselves into a spot where unless they trade their best WR Herbert has in Allen, you have to extend him in order to free up Cap Space which means you're relying on Williams/Allen further into the future.

There really aren't a lot of realistic ways to add "top-notch" WRs to the Chargers as the roster is constructed. Until some mass-overhaul occurs, you've got to believe that only minor changes will occur.
I appreciate the info, although you paint a pretty bleak picture. Is there any reason they cannot draft a stud WR? Justin clearly needs some help - he can't throw passes and also catch them. All season, he has been threading into ridiculously tight spots or spots he knew his receiver would have to fight the other guy for the ball, because nobody gets separation. Meanwhile, Lawrence was throwing to wide-open guys the entire second half last night. Something has to get fixed here.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Phalanx wrote:I appreciate the info, although you paint a pretty bleak picture. Is there any reason they cannot draft a stud WR? Justin clearly needs some help - he can't throw passes and also catch them. All season, he has been threading into ridiculously tight spots or spots he knew his receiver would have to fight the other guy for the ball, because nobody gets separation. Meanwhile, Lawrence was throwing to wide-open guys the entire second half last night. Something has to get fixed here.
Only reason to avoid a WR for LA is if there just isn't one that fits where they are in the draft. Hard to say who the stud WR is for them to target but I think I'd go for Boston College's Zay Jones as they essentially have to draft someone else to the room irrespective of how much they've allotted to the position since they do only have 3 under contract currently.

I also think its clear a new Offensive staff is coming at minimum. Staley might keep his job and perhaps even his DC, but somebody has to be the fall guy and Lombardi will be the first.

I don't think its wrong to approach the Chargers Offensive roster and think a modern offense couldn't thrive with most of the guys they've got despite the lack of speed.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

Duck07 wrote:
Phalanx wrote:I appreciate the info, although you paint a pretty bleak picture. Is there any reason they cannot draft a stud WR? Justin clearly needs some help - he can't throw passes and also catch them. All season, he has been threading into ridiculously tight spots or spots he knew his receiver would have to fight the other guy for the ball, because nobody gets separation. Meanwhile, Lawrence was throwing to wide-open guys the entire second half last night. Something has to get fixed here.
Only reason to avoid a WR for LA is if there just isn't one that fits where they are in the draft. Hard to say who the stud WR is for them to target but I think I'd go for Boston College's Zay Jones as they essentially have to draft someone else to the room irrespective of how much they've allotted to the position since they do only have 3 under contract currently.

I also think its clear a new Offensive staff is coming at minimum. Staley might keep his job and perhaps even his DC, but somebody has to be the fall guy and Lombardi will be the first.

I don't think its wrong to approach the Chargers Offensive roster and think a modern offense couldn't thrive with most of the guys they've got despite the lack of speed.
They definitely need to continue to address the O-line as well. This year was better than last, but still lacking.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

The only unknown starter on the OL is RT with Pipkins a FA. Darnell Wright from UT looks like the best RT prospect and would require a 1st rounder.

It will be Slater-Salyer-Linsley-Johnson that much is known and I have felt that the scheme did the Run Game zero favors.

Linsley has tendinitis in his knee so finding a backup Center is important in a draft that has good Center prospects throughout the rounds. Forsyth is absolutely a target for the Chargers or should be as a high floor, low ceiling type guy which is usually the most you can hope for from a backup OL.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

OC Joe Lomarbdi and QB Coach Shane Day were fired today.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Duck07 wrote:OC Joe Lomarbdi and QB Coach Shane Day were fired today.
Unfortunately that probably means Staley gets another year.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I've come around a bit, I'm begrudgingly okay with Staley getting another year. He's still young and the players seem to like him so hopefully he learns some lessons and becomes steadier. Nailing this OC hire is absolutely crucial though. You absolutely have to find someone who can help Herbert live up to his potential and relatedly establish a consistent running game. Bring in the right OC and add some WR speed and this offense could explode next year.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

The offense was not nearly as good as it should've been. They were extremely poor in the second half of games. The meltdown against Jacksonville wasn't really a surprise if you were aware of the history of the chargers second half offense. They also had very few downfield plays, which is absurd considering Herbert's arm strength and accuracy. I'm not a huge fan of Staley, but I'd put this more on the OC. They need to find someone who's willing to take the top off, which will allow the run game to open up more.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Phalanx wrote:I'm trying to figure out why people are calling for Staley's head over this one incident - it seems completely irrational on its face. Williams was going to have to play at some point, and he is injury prone. He didn't even play that many snaps. It makes little difference whether he gets injured in Game 17 or the wild card game, unless the argument is that he was still healing from some other injury. In fact, it might be better to get the injury out of the way. Someone else gets the snaps in playoff practice, and the team isn't demoralized mid-game by losing Williams. I've been saying for awhile that the Chargers need an upgrade to their receiving unit, and this episode will highlight that point heading into the draft.

I can only assume that people don't like Staley for other reasons which are not being articulated here, or that they enjoy blaming people in hindsight and seeing them get fired. Somebody on TV joked that Sean Payton is going to be the head coach for 10 teams next season. It's unrealistic for all these fan bases to always be bringing up his name.

One incident? His terrible time management and continued going for it on 4th downs cost them a playoff spot last year. Then this year he kept playing Herbert with injured ribs, rather than sitting him for a couple weeks to heal. Plus he hired the worst offensive staff in the nfl. Guy has no clue. His D can’t tackle, and he reduces to push the ball or have Herbert run. They need a HC without will use Herbert right, and get the most out of the D.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

buckmarkduck wrote:
Phalanx wrote:I'm trying to figure out why people are calling for Staley's head over this one incident - it seems completely irrational on its face. Williams was going to have to play at some point, and he is injury prone. He didn't even play that many snaps. It makes little difference whether he gets injured in Game 17 or the wild card game, unless the argument is that he was still healing from some other injury. In fact, it might be better to get the injury out of the way. Someone else gets the snaps in playoff practice, and the team isn't demoralized mid-game by losing Williams. I've been saying for awhile that the Chargers need an upgrade to their receiving unit, and this episode will highlight that point heading into the draft.

I can only assume that people don't like Staley for other reasons which are not being articulated here, or that they enjoy blaming people in hindsight and seeing them get fired. Somebody on TV joked that Sean Payton is going to be the head coach for 10 teams next season. It's unrealistic for all these fan bases to always be bringing up his name.

One incident? His terrible time management and continued going for it on 4th downs cost them a playoff spot last year. Then this year he kept playing Herbert with injured ribs, rather than sitting him for a couple weeks to heal. Plus he hired the worst offensive staff in the nfl. Guy has no clue. His D can’t tackle, and he reduces to push the ball or have Herbert run. They need a HC without will use Herbert right, and get the most out of the D.
If you are going to quote from page 1 of the thread, you should read it in context. One incident was all people were citing at the time, and I mentioned later in the post that the calls for firing must be based on other things. It is hard for me to guess what those things are, since every coach seems to have fans wanting to fire them for stuff like 'clock management', etc. Heck, the commentators during the 49er game today were whining about Shanahan's clock management just before the half. I'm pretty sure he isn't going to get fired, though.

The Chargers are a mess, as has been discussed for a few pages now. I just don't think firing yet another coach is going to help a lot, unless you know you have a better one waiting in the wings. They already fired the last guy, and now they have fired the new O.C. as well. I agree that Justin isn't being optimized, although part of my solution is to get some better receivers, and an O.C. who wants to play to Justin's strength and throw down the field. I disagree that Justin would have healed faster by not playing. Ribs take awhile to heal, whether you play or not, and I'm sure they were listening to medical staff advice all along the way. I think Justin playing was the only chance they had to stay in the playoff hunt, and that decision worked out well, because he was healed by playoff time, and they made the playoffs. That is not a legitimate reason to fire Staley, IMO. I got mad about last year's game vs. the Raiders as well and agree that if Staley doesn't stupidly call timeout there, the Raiders looked ready to stand down and preserve the tie. I don't think the Chargers would have made it far in the playoffs though. They just don't have a good enough team. Nit picking coaching decisions in hindsight doesn't change that fact.