Chargers coach

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

nogerO
Senior

Chargers coach

Post by nogerO »

Is an idiot. Sorry, jut one bad decision after another…
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Alan
Senior

Re: Chargers coach

Post by Alan »

I am beginning to agree with you, why does he still have so many of his stars in this meaningless games? Chargers are locked into the five seed. Why risk injury to Herbert or any of his starters.
TheDrake
Two Star Recruit

Post by TheDrake »

Yeah he sucks! Herb needs a top flight TE next year. Everett is not good drop meister
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I’m kinda worried the Chargers making the playoffs especially with the injuries they’ve had will cause the front office to do nothing this offseason. IMO the Chargers should blow the team up and work around Justin. New HC, OC, and lots of roster changes with young dynamic WR’s, new Oline, and get rid of Bosa cause yeah he’s great but he only plays in 4 games a season cause he’s always injured. I’m just worried the Chargers for Herbert’s entire career will just be a good team that will make the playoffs most years and maybe win a playoff game or two but won’t even sniff a Super Bowl.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I really wanted them to hire Brian Daboll last year and on top of it, he even went to HS with the Chargers GM Tom Telesco.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

He coaches like he’s just following the “innovative young coach” script. Dude is a fraud and probably should never have been a HC.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

He could be throwing a bone to some of the players who had stat-based bonuses. It looks bad now because of the potential injuries, but historically, stats are all that Chargers players can really accomplish. It's not like they are going to win the Superbowl with that defense. In 16 seasons as a Charger, Philip Rivers won 5 total playoff games, but he made the Pro Bowl 8 times. As a fan, I'm glad Justin played in the game; 25 TD's on the season looks a lot better than 23. He also finished ahead of several QB's (Brady, Cousins, Burrow, who all played this week) by virtue of his 273 passing yards to finish 2nd in the League. That's the kind of stuff that comes in handy when a 2nd contract is being discussed.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Looks like Mike Williams WR probably won’t play and Bosa DE is questionable for the Chargers game vs Jacksonville on Saturday after being injured on Sunday Nice job by the coach playing all their players in a meaningless game exposing them to injury. And a short week to rest/heal for a Saturday playoff game? If the Chargers lose, I hope they can his dumb arse.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

nogerO wrote:Looks like Mike Williams WR probably won’t play and Bosa DE is questionable for the Chargers game vs Jacksonville on Saturday after being injured on Sunday Nice job by the coach playing all their players in a meaningless game exposing them to injury. And a short week to rest/heal for a Saturday playoff game? If the Chargers lose, I hope they can his dumb arse.
I can’t blame Staley for Bosa, the dude is made out of glass.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
nogerO wrote:Looks like Mike Williams WR probably won’t play and Bosa DE is questionable for the Chargers game vs Jacksonville on Saturday after being injured on Sunday Nice job by the coach playing all their players in a meaningless game exposing them to injury. And a short week to rest/heal for a Saturday playoff game? If the Chargers lose, I hope they can his dumb arse.
I agree Bosa did not play much last game. But Staley certainly kept his starters in too long.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Alan wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
I agree Bosa did not play much last game. But Staley certainly kept his starters in too long.
I absolutely agree 100%, just was saying, Bosa is always injured.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

So Williams is for sure out this weekend. Such an unforced error on Staley's part. If they lose on Saturday, I think they have to seriously consider firing him, especially if the offense struggles.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

He also hired one of the worst offensive coordinators in the league. Staley is by all accounts a good defensive tactician, but he doesn't deserve any faith as a head coach. Would love to see them replace him with Sean Payton.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Tray Dub wrote:He also hired one of the worst offensive coordinators in the league. Staley is by all accounts a good defensive tactician, but he doesn't deserve any faith as a head coach. Would love to see them replace him with Sean Payton.
Me and you, both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I'm trying to figure out why people are calling for Staley's head over this one incident - it seems completely irrational on its face. Williams was going to have to play at some point, and he is injury prone. He didn't even play that many snaps. It makes little difference whether he gets injured in Game 17 or the wild card game, unless the argument is that he was still healing from some other injury. In fact, it might be better to get the injury out of the way. Someone else gets the snaps in playoff practice, and the team isn't demoralized mid-game by losing Williams. I've been saying for awhile that the Chargers need an upgrade to their receiving unit, and this episode will highlight that point heading into the draft.

I can only assume that people don't like Staley for other reasons which are not being articulated here, or that they enjoy blaming people in hindsight and seeing them get fired. Somebody on TV joked that Sean Payton is going to be the head coach for 10 teams next season. It's unrealistic for all these fan bases to always be bringing up his name.