Penix: "Our expectations are a national championship."

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Post by Zyme »

"Our expectations are a national championship, that's what we all want, and that's what we believe we can get. That's just my confidence."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... turnaround

I needed a good laugh tonight
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
dthomas=ddixon

Re: Penix: "Our expectations are a national championship."

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Obviously were all biased here but it seemed like UW was pretty fortunate to win as many games as they do last year. Unless they made significant improvements to their roster I think them just replicating what they did last year would be a real accomplishment. Odds are that the bounces that went their way last year don’t this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Honestly, good for them to feel like they've got the stones to make that statement. They've got a tough schedule taking on Utah and USC as part of their South games and a good OOC with Mich St and Boise St. They could have an elite offense this year and Pennix will be a Heisman candidate if they play to that level.

I get that idle talk doesn't mean anything but holy hell when was the last time the West Coast talked in those damn terms too? Oregon Chip?

Perhaps one of the biggest things missing from the Conference as a whole is confidence right now.

Look at how reactionary everyone in the Conference is to the slightest provocation with media rights. I understand making boastful claims and acting hubristic isn't a sign of merit either but when I saw that yesterday I actually thought to myself "Good, the P12 has been boring AF lately."
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

They lost a lot on defense. And to expect their offense to put up 45+ every game for 13 games just isn't going to happen. They will be good, but end up with 3 losses.

Unless their defense somehow fills all their voids, a championship is a pretty lofty goal for them.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

UOducksTK1 wrote:They lost a lot on defense. And to expect their offense to put up 45+ every game for 13 games just isn't going to happen. They will be good, but end up with 3 losses.

Unless their defense somehow fills all their voids, a championship is a pretty lofty goal for them.
100%. They’re falling for the fallacy that as long as certain elements are constant things just perpetually trend upward ha. “We were good last year, and our QB and coach are back, so next year we’re going to be even better!”

squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

UOducksTK1 wrote:They lost a lot on defense. And to expect their offense to put up 45+ every game for 13 games just isn't going to happen. They will be good, but end up with 3 losses.

I hate to say it, but honestly, if their defense can put it together this year they stand a good chance at a playoff run.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

No doubt they’ll be good but that’s just silly expectations, but you can’t blame a potential Heisman candidate QB for having those expectations. I certainly wouldn’t fault Nix for having the same expectations for Oregon, but I think most of us duck fans know that expecting a national championship this year would be silly.

Fact is Huskies did get lucky a few times last year, never shouldn’t beaten Oregon and Oregon State, but both teams had some questionable coaching decisions that allowed Huskies to take advantage of, with a more mature OC this year I don’t see those same mistakes happening for Oregon.

But going forward the Huskies are no joke, it’s gonna be tough to beat them and be the best in the PNW, DaBoer was a great hire for them. I miss Jimmy Lake.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

I laughed... I cried... I squirted burning libations out my nostrils and tear ducts.

Good luck with that!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Lots of pundits forget that Penix was rather streaky last season... very hot and cold. Huskies won't get very far unless that changes.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

pezsez1 wrote:Lots of pundits forget that Penix was rather streaky last season... very hot and cold. Huskies won't get very far unless that changes.
Their win over us gave everyone a bit of amnesia regarding their season. Before that game they hadn’t looked all that great; the got run over by UCLA, lost to a bad ASU team, then barely beat Arizona, Cal, and OSU. And beating us took Nix getting hurt.

Obviously they were a good team and have everyone coming back but it seems like most people have forgotten that they were just pretty good for most of the season. Without that win over us the expectations for their upcoming season would be much different.

alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Typical Fuskies delusional talk...extrapolating and magnifying one game and projecting that as their overall performance for next year. Try to win the Pac12 first....

The win against us was by far Penix and their team's best performance and one of our poorer performances and unlucky games. Even with that same performance by Penix and UW in that game last year, they aren't beating Georgia on the Bulldogs' worst days.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Until UW gets near a top-10 recruiting class, they won't be sniffing a national title any time soon.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

alxtw wrote:Typical Fuskies delusional talk...extrapolating and magnifying one game and projecting that as their overall performance for next year. Try to win the Pac12 first....

The win against us was by far Penix and their team's best performance and one of our poorer performances and unlucky games. Even with that same performance by Penix and UW in that game last year, they aren't beating Georgia on the Bulldogs' worst days.
The same thing happened with USC going into the 2012 season when they were pre-season #1. They won in Autzen in 2011 which was a complete fluke game, their passing game was incredible but Oregon’s offense had a bunch of weird blunders including LaMichael James’s arm cast breaking during a play causing him to fumble. On top of all that Oregon should’ve won but Chip decided to stick his head up his arse and play for a field goal with the infamous Maldonado, and we all knew how that was going to turn out. If Dilly didn’t have his head up his arse multiple times during the Washington game we win that game also, despite how poorly Oregon played. I wonder when exactly Dilly decided to go to ASU, if it turns out he decided that weeks prior to that OSU game I wouldn’t be surprised, similar to how Mario decided he was leaving for Miami early in the 2021 season. It was remarkable how quickly Dilly’s playcalling (and how quickly he got his playcalling in) went from genius to confusing and nonsensical.

Back to Washington/Penix, again I can’t blame Penix for making these sort of claims, but if their fans are expecting them to compete for a natty they’re very delusional. They should complete for a conference championship, not a national championship, like Oregon. Maybe due to their soft OOC schedule over the past few years, they haven’t been able to see teams like Georgia and Ohio State up close like we have, so they don’t realize just how big the talent disparity is.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Doog fans after not getting a single player drafted. I expect 11 or so guys to be drafted lol. That’s more than UGA or Bama had this year.