Post by nray30 »

Agreed

Much more cap space. Two assets. Better draft pick for this year potentially
The Bean Regime
Senior
GM: Minnesota Timberwolves GM

Re: Clippers - Rockets

Post by The Bean Regime »

Rockets are 12-1 in their last 13, and their only loss was a 3 pointer to the Magic.

And they're adding Carey Jr. :(
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

The Bean Regime wrote:Rockets are 12-1 in their last 13, and their only loss was a 3 pointer to the Magic.

And they're adding Carey Jr. :(
I don't think I have a real win against a playoff team yet. Carey should help.
Briezy
Five Star Recruit
GM: Cleveland Cavaliers GM

Post by Briezy »

Wow...would’ve thought Carey would fetch a big prospect in return. Great deal for Houston imo,
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Post by Oregon Ownage »

This doesnt sit well with me, its a glorified salary dump for a 1st team all league PF
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

Oregon Ownage wrote:This doesnt sit well with me, its a glorified salary dump for a 1st team all league PF
It’s not just a salary dump when you get 2 unprotected 1sts.

You gave Bagley away for next nothing.
Oregon Ownage
All-American

Post by Oregon Ownage »

Boom wrote:
Oregon Ownage wrote:This doesnt sit well with me, its a glorified salary dump for a 1st team all league PF

Different situations and Carey is a better player and younger

Just giving my thoughts but 1sts are over-valued by some here. I would gladly trade late lotto/mid first picks for Carey all day long but the odds are so slim of a player selected there being anything other than a role player
Craig
Senior
GM: Phoenix Suns GM

Post by Craig »

Boom wrote:

This is true
SUNS GM
Briezy
Five Star Recruit

Post by Briezy »

The precedent is set for this trade but if we don’t start enforcing market value for these stars the league is going to continue to head in the wrong direction. There’s a few teams trying to compete and everyone else is tanking. Good players (example Dennis Smith) have no market. Great players go for chump change. The few contenders keep loading up because it’s an arms race. In the past a team with Casey would’ve tried to load up or have gotten a centerpiece for a rebuild. We need to think about some taknking rules to encourage more contenders. The better these top teams get the more unattainable it is to get in contention and the more tanking teams we have. It’s probably not helping with league interest at this point either, no reflection on Houston or LA but I’m seeing a bigger issue here.
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

Briezy wrote:The precedent is set for this trade but if we don’t start enforcing market value for these stars the league is going to continue to head in the wrong direction. There’s a few teams trying to compete and everyone else is tanking. Good players (example Dennis Smith) have no market. Great players go for chump change. The few contenders keep loading up because it’s an arms race. In the past a team with Casey would’ve tried to load up or have gotten a centerpiece for a rebuild. We need to think about some taknking rules to encourage more contenders. The better these top teams get the more unattainable it is to get in contention and the more tanking teams we have. It’s probably not helping with league interest at this point either, no reflection on Houston or LA but I’m seeing a bigger issue here.
Diagree completely. Players like Smith have trouble being moved because in FA people pay too much. If his salary was $5 million less maybe he gets moved. Then they get old and not worth their salary, owners wonder why they can't move them.

We've said year in and year out that you're either winning or you need to rebuild. But then we've disallowed trades in the past because we need to enforce some mystical market value. That has forced more people out than anything. Lack of freedom to manage their team. There is great value in ditching salary and preparing for FA and in this case Clippers are in the running for a top 3 pick. This trade makes those chances better.

My only beef is that did anyone know Carey or similar players are available. I say that if a trade comes in that people feel is undervalued (veto-worthy), give people 48 hours to make a better offer. But this is not veto-worthy.
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

Oregon Ownage wrote:
Boom wrote:

Different situations and Carey is a better player and younger

Just giving my thoughts but 1sts are over-valued by some here. I would gladly trade late lotto/mid first picks for Carey all day long but the odds are so slim of a player selected there being anything other than a role player
Not a different situation.
His goal was the same. Horry was a mid round first. He probably got two of them here.
This trade is not only better than that one it's better than the Lamelo Ball trade.
Briezy
Five Star Recruit

Post by Briezy »

bellsduck wrote:
Briezy wrote:The precedent is set for this trade but if we don’t start enforcing market value for these stars the league is going to continue to head in the wrong direction. There’s a few teams trying to compete and everyone else is tanking. Good players (example Dennis Smith) have no market. Great players go for chump change. The few contenders keep loading up because it’s an arms race. In the past a team with Casey would’ve tried to load up or have gotten a centerpiece for a rebuild. We need to think about some taknking rules to encourage more contenders. The better these top teams get the more unattainable it is to get in contention and the more tanking teams we have. It’s probably not helping with league interest at this point either, no reflection on Houston or LA but I’m seeing a bigger issue here.
Diagree completely. Players like Smith have trouble being moved because in FA people pay too much. If his salary was $5 million less maybe he gets moved. Then they get old and not worth their salary, owners wonder why they can't move them.

We've said year in and year out that you're either winning or you need to rebuild. But then we've disallowed trades in the past because we need to enforce some mystical market value. That has forced more people out than anything. Lack of freedom to manage their team. There is great value in ditching salary and preparing for FA and in this case Clippers are in the running for a top 3 pick. This trade makes those chances better.

My only beef is that did anyone know Carey or similar players are available. I say that if a trade comes in that people feel is undervalued (veto-worthy), give people 48 hours to make a better offer. But this is not veto-worthy.
I’m only using Smith as an example because he was my player and I don’t want to disparage anyone else. Yes he was an expensive player, probably overpaid, but if there were more competing teams and less options in the market it’d help teams trying to move quality players because you’d have more teams trying to find a way to get better. But when you have a small number of teams that are true contenders they already have better players and there’s not a market. If Casey is going for two likely late first we don’t have many players worth much. That seems like a problem.
Oregon Ownage
All-American

Post by Oregon Ownage »

Think Rockets are getting an amazing deal and Clippers should have waited until the draft to deal him for maximum value

Done
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Bad trade for Clippers. Should have asked for 34 and 35 1sts.`

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13