Hocker and Centro go 1-2 in the 1500 Olympic Trial Final

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Phalanx
Senior

Hocker and Centro go 1-2 in the 1500 Olympic Trial Final

Post by Phalanx »

Pretty cool race, if one is in to guys running multiple times around a track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtfAqpJj28o

Sounds like there has been some chippy social media posting between the two camps over the last six months or so, which made the race even more interesting. The Olympic race should be fun.
gogreen55
Senior

Re: Hocker and Centro go 1-2 in the 1500 Olympic Trial Final

Post by gogreen55 »

I watched every day/night of the track coverage. The final night was filled with awesome performances, for those that watched despite the weather delay. Over the course of the entire meet, several Ducks and former Ducks performed very well and punched their tickets to Tokyo......if the Olympics don't get cancelled.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Phalanx wrote:Pretty cool race, if one is in to guys running multiple times around a track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtfAqpJj28o

Sounds like there has been some chippy social media posting between the two camps over the last six months or so, which made the race even more interesting. The Olympic race should be fun.
Interesting, why would a college sophomore get chippy with an Olympian from the same school or vis versa? Odd
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I think they understand that, and so are really making an effort to downplay the feud in recent interviews. I did notice one of Hocker's friends wearing a 'Your Move' t-shirt though, so the trolling is still present. I think it boils down to the young guys being disappointed to learn that Centro is not as cool off the track as he is on it. Anyway, who knows, maybe they will bond at the Olympics.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I went to school with Centrowitz. He's arrogant, to say the least, and from what I read so is Hocker. Centro was the guy in college who was talented enough to bring home all kinds of golds, except he didn't, and frequently would talk about how none of it mattered and that he should go pro. He was clearly capable but didn't make many friends along the way. So if it's true that Hocker is not all that dissimilar a personality (except he actually produces as a collegian), I could see how they'd wind up hating each other.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Hocker makes the 1500m final in the Olympics, finishing 2nd in the semi-final. Centrowitz is out, having finished 9th in his race. Interestingly, the heat Centrowitz was in was so fast, he actually had a faster time than Hocker. Hopefully Hocker, who set a PR in the race, has another gear for the final, as the strategy for the leaders seems to be to outrun the competition rather than outkick them.