+5
85%

Total votes: 13
Skyhooker
Junior
GM: Philadelphia 76ers

1981 Redraft - Top 10

Post by Skyhooker »

It’s year 5 for the class of 1981 and now that all of these players have finished their rookie contracts, it’s a fair time to take a look back and see if the draft were done today, would it be the same?

1. Chicago Bulls
Actual Pick: Isiah Thomas, PG (no change)
Redraft Pick: Isiah Thomas, PG
Scarcity of position, plus he’s turning out to be a top-tier guard in the league. Can’t argue with this pick at all.

2. Miami Heat
Actual Pick: Mark Aguirre, SF (redraft – outside the top 10)
Redraft Pick: Vladimir Tkachenko, C (up from #16, Nets)
When the draft took place, Aguirre was in the discussion for this pick. 4 years later, he’s turned out pretty much as a bust. He’s still in the league but produces modest numbers. Honestly, probably a bench option at this point. On the other hand, Vlad as he’s known, has been in the scoring leaders column for many years and won the 1981 ROY award. The Nets picked him up for His shooting percentages are decent. His rebounding is solid. It’s him or Johnson here, but Vlad gets the nod because of his consistency from Day 1.

3. Houston Rockets
Actual Pick: Tom Chambers, PF (redraft - #8 and probably a position change)
Redraft Pick: Steve Johnson, PF (up from #18, Raptors)
Chambers drafted as PF, has taken a little while to get his footing in the league. He’s showed steady improvement and might get some run at SF this year which may bolster his stats and status within the league. His stats I would consider solid without being impressive in any one category.
Johnson on the other hand is another player that has produced from day 1 in the league. He’s been named to 3 All-Defensive teams in the first 4 years of his career and his defense only seems to be getting better. His scoring, while probably never a #1 option on any team is solid. If there’s one knock on him, it is that his shooting %’s are not great and he has missed a few games during the last 2 years.

4. Dallas Mavericks
Actual Pick: Buck Williams, PF (redraft - #6, down 2)
Redraft Pick: Alton Lister, PF (up 4 from #8)
A swap for a couple PF’s here. Alton for me gets the edge over Buck because of the blocked shots. Most of the other numbers are pretty similar. Lister has also shot the ball slightly better, although Williams PPG is slightly higher. It’s really close here.

5. New Jersey Nets
Actual Pick: Larry Nance, PF (redraft - #9, down 4)
Redraft Pick: Roberto Brunamonti, SG (up 6, from #11)
Larry Nance, would I love to have him on my team? Most definitely. Heck, I offered him a $60 million dollar contract this off-season. But, he has taken a while to make the progress that many expected. He’s taken a major step forward this off-season, but even early in the season his numbers just quite aren’t where I would’ve expected them.
Roberto Brunamonti, has surprised most though in his production so far. Never asked to be a #1 scorer, he’s been content to play second fiddle on his team to some more well known big fellas. The guy can shoot, with a career 88% FT and 42% 3P%, he’s one of the best the league offers from the perimeter. And he’s made 2 consecutive All-Defensive teams.

6. Los Angeles Lakers
Actual Pick: Orlando Woolridge, PF (redraft #10, down 4)
Redraft Pick: Buck Williams, PF (down 2, from #4)
Orlando Woolridge, drafted as a PF, but has played as a SF his entire career. He was on the same team as Larry Bird, which should’ve created a lot of scoring opportunities, but he’s been just alright. Certainly, I might be being a little harsh on him because my expectations were so high. Looking at his stats this year though, one has to wonder if he’s in his own head because he hasn’t lived up to his own expectations either. Give him a fresh start somewhere and maybe things can turn around.

7. Sacramento Kings
Actual Pick: Rolando Blackman, SG (redraft out of the top 10)
Redraft Pick: Tom Chambers, PF (down 4 from #3)
Blackman looked to be moving forward during his 3rd season, but has regressed the last two. He doesn’t shoot many 3’s. However, his shooting %’s inside the arc are pretty darn good. His defense is solid even though it doesn’t show in the box scores much. He’s good not, great. In a week draft for backcourt players, he might be the 3rd best however.

8. Atlanta Hawks
Actual Pick: Alton Lister, PF (redraft #4, up 4)
Redraft Pick: Herb Williams, C (up 6 from #14)
Herb Williams based on his 1st 5 years in the league deserved to be in the top 10. There’s something to be said for consistency and that’s what you get with Williams. He’s a guy you plug into the lineup, he works hard, brings his lunch pail to work every day kind of guy. His numbers so far are very comparable to Buck Williams. Where Buck might still improve, Herb has probably topped out. And he’s reasonable in his contract demands so bonus points there.

9. Milwaukee Bucks
Actual Pick: Mirza Delibasic, SG (redraft, out of the top 10)
Redraft Pick: Larry Nance, SF (down 4 from #5)
Look at Mirza’s first year and you would’ve thought he was headed for a HOF career. However, he has regressed each and every year he’s been in the league. He’s hanging on now through 1 year contracts, but that’s all. He doesn’t look like he’s headed in the right direction.

10. Minnesota Timberwolves
Actual Pick: Kelly Tripucka, SF (redraft, out of the top 10)
Redraft Pick: Orlando Woolridge (down 4 from #6)
Tripucka is a guy that all you were ever going to get was offense. But that’s even been lacking in his production. In 4+ years, he’s averaged double digit points only 1 season and just barely. He doesn’t rebound, he doesn’t get assists, he doesn’t shoot 3’s, etc., etc….. Hindsight says He probably should’ve been picked outside the top 15 or 20. The Wolves missed on other guys that were available, such as Herb Williams, Roberto Brunamonti, Vlad, and Steve Johnson.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Re: 1981 Redraft - Top 10

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Nice! Solid article except I think u mistook Isiah Thomas' name for VLAD.

I'd take Bruno over Lister as well.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Needs a poll

And I’m also really high on Bruno
vincent1469
Five Star Recruit
GM: Seattle Supersonics

Post by vincent1469 »

Great article. Wish Nance could be higher as I like him but he doesnt have the stats to back him up unlike the players above him.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

dd10snoop28 wrote:Nice! Solid article except I think u mistook Isiah Thomas' name for VLAD.

I'd take Bruno over Lister as well.
:lol:

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
verysilentone
Three Star Recruit
GM: Miami Heat GM

Post by verysilentone »

I really cannot believe Aguirre has sucked as bad as he has.
jibbajabba614
Senior
GM: Milwaukee Bucks GM

Post by jibbajabba614 »

In hindsight I would of drafted by notes. But I felt DASL 1.0 snoop old bucks GM was on to something. And the star turned out to be Vlad. Lucky rascal
Craig
Senior
GM: Phoenix Suns GM

Post by Craig »

Nice job, good idea. Gonna offer my 'took 5mins to decide' opinion too:

1-Isiah Thomas
2-Roberto Brunamonti
3-Steve Johnson
4-Vladimir Tkachenko
5-Alton Lister
6-Tom Chambers