jibbajabba614
Senior
GM: Milwaukee Bucks GM

1990 draft grades

Post by jibbajabba614 »

Phoenix Suns
Grade: B
Derrick Coleman B- C+ D B- B- A
B+ is a strong grade at this point. Would of gotten an A- but due to passing on Gary Payton twice, I gotta go B. Coleman is very strong pick. Worthy of number one. Notes had him pegged sort of like Manning but Manning is definitely holding his own. Suns had an interesting off season and I definitely see them as a contender in future years.

Orlando Magic
Grade: B+
Hank Gathers B+ C- D- C+ B A
Hank Gathers is an intriguing prospect. I honestly feel like he is graded as a top potential player but will he live up to that potential. He should definitely be a 15ppg/9 rpg. Steals and blocks will be interesting to see how he develops. Can he be a 20ppg player? Defensively, if he doesn’t improve much; being restricted to the post will definitely hurt his value. But I like the pairing of Pooh/Rice/Hank.

Rockets via Suns (from 76ers)
Grade: A+
Gary Payton C+ C+ B- B D A
Notes had Payton picked really high. Maybe Rockets didn’t feel they would get their guy at #5 with the Lakers at #4 in a rebuilding situation. With that said, giving up a top ten protected first to get their man is affordable. Rockets have a core of Polynice/Horace Grant/Gary Payton so they are definitely in rebuild mode. Suns may not see that pick for a few years so kudos to Boom going big.

Los Angeles Lakers
Grade: B-
Toni Kukoc C+ B C+ C+ C A
Lots of chatter early on in the draft. Goat goes overseas and if DASL continues the trend of oversea players, he can strike big. But if he lands himself into a Grizzlies spot with Detlef Schrempf, Lakers would look foolish passing on Scott, who was branded a 20ppg player. Overall, I had Kukoc ranked #5 so taking him at 4 definitely justifies the B- grade.

Suns via Houston Rockets
Dennis Scott C+ B C B- D+ A
Gotta give the Suns credit, they had the number one pick and worked their way into another top five selection. Craig must of felt this draft was top five strong and gave up assets to get another pick. While losing Divac hurt them the most, they definitely made up for it with off season moves. If Scott does becomes a nice offensive player, look for the Suns to be a contender for the future.

Milwaukee Bucks
Grade: C+
Kendall Gill B- B- C B- D+ A
Bucks played it safe and went for the safest selection. Gill was rated top of the shooting guards. But passing on Spencer could haunt them. While Gill looks to be at least a 13ppg on paper and Bucks needing a shooting guard they get a C+. If Gill has a good training camp, their grade could definitely be bumped to a B.

Atlanta Hawks
Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf C C+ B+ C+ D A
Hawks get a C+ mainly for being stocked up at PG. Marzeial has an eye for spotting talent, in DASL 1.0 he loaded up on big men, DASL 2.0 he seems to be loading up on guards. Abdul-Rauf looks to be a great handler and passer on paper. Defensively, he looks like he can be a strong player too. Offensively will be the question, if he can develop an outside game, Hawks will be having me eat my words

Washington Bullets
Tyrone Hill C D D B+ C+ A
Can’t be mad about taking a defensive big man with an A potential at #8. But offensively, Hill just like looks lost. If Bullets can get a good rim protector with this pick, well then it’s definitely worth it.

Detroit Pistons
Terry Mills C+ C+ C B- C- A
Mills notes had him high in the draft. If he can continue to improve offensively, this grade can definitely jump to an A. Mills still needs a lot of work but taking a SF who can potentially be a force as a SG will be worth the look.

Charlotte Hornets
Grade: C-
Bo Kimble C+ C+ C C+ D+ A
While having all the tools to be a scorer, guys with his ratings just never pan out. I can understand the position need but Kimble may not be a main focal option at offense. Cellar door may not like it but I hate having to do C+ C+ C+ A potential guys… I can look at previous draft files and see what I did wrong and never correct a wing with them grades.

Los Angeles Clippers
Dwayne Schintzius C+ D D C+ C+ A
While being highly touted as an elite prospect, Dwayne doesn’t have any glaring strengths. All he needs is one good training camp, definitely why Clipps get a C+.

Detroit Pistons (from Jazz)
Grade: A
Felton Spencer C D D B- B- A
Like I said before, I do try to go over previous drafts for similar rank guys to try and get a different type of player. Spencer ratings wise, he looks like a top five pick. He just has no offense abilities. Still at #12, great value

Boston Celtics (from Nuggets)
Duane Causwell B- C- C- B B B
After their off season moves, grade should be an A+ but we are grading by miss selections and Celtics may wish he had Vaught, Campbell or Rusconi higher on his list.

Indiana Pacers
Loy Vaught B C- C B- B B
Great pick up for a team that has the players to compete, just haven’t found the right pieces. Vaught’s abilities to play SF gives them a B-

Dallas Mavericks
Antonio Davis C+ C- C- C+ C+ A
While bigs with C+ C+ C+ and A potential have a better chance of becoming a good player than guards, Davis was still a second round pick. Mavs may regret passing on Campbell so the C+ is justifiable.

New Jersey Nets (from Celtics)
Cedric Ceballos B C C B C B
For Nets needs, Ceballos was a great pickup. Will never be a main focal on their team but will definitely help them in the depth department.

Miami Heat
Elden Campbell B C C B B- C
Honestly I love this pick. In some drafts, Campbell would of been a top ten pick, but this wasn’t a strong draft so getting him at 17 has great value.

Sacramento Kings
Jayson Williams B- C- C- B- B- B
Again more of a ready now big but with the B potential, Jayson could potentially leap past most of the other bigs. Being B- all the way around doesn’t give him the benefit of doubt though.

Charlotte Hornets (from Mavericks)
Rumeal Robinson C+ C C+ B C- B
Again, Hornets going for more needs than wants. They were loaded at big men with Smits, Ferry and Greenwood so I understand them going for guards.

Minnesota Timberwolves
Jerrod Mustaf C+ C C C+ C A
I like this pick, high potential guy, will he ever develop is the question. Guys with two C+ and A potential have a harder time of developing but has happen in the past.

Vancouver Grizzlies (from Knicks)
Grade: D
Les Jepsen C+ D D B+ B+ C
Honestly you just get a D cause you had a shot at Rusconi and you should know better…

Philadelphia 76ers (from Nets)
Stefano Rusconi B C D- B B B
While they deserve an F for passing on Payton, they do get a great grade in Rusconi. A guy ratings like this with a B potential definitely put him in the top ten.

San Antonio Spurs
Lionel Simmons B- C C- B- C B
Highly ranked guy on his notes, but he doesn’t have any glaring strengths. If he can continue to improve with his potential, could turn out to be a really great pick. Spurs have definitely been great at drafting though.

Philadelphia 76ers (from SuperSonics)
Milos Babic C D D C+ C+ A
Again, Sixers get a good grade cause they made the best selection they could of made. Babic is another foreign guy who can either be good or suck. Right now, he just isn’t that good.

Minnesota Timberwolves (from Trailblazers) Grade: C+
Kenny Williams SF 6'9'' 205 21 C+ B- C- B- C B
The B potential is keeping it from being just a C grade. Could be a potentially offensive player.

Cleveland Cavaliers
Dee Brown B+ C- C C+ D+ C
Highly noted player, but he isn’t that great on paper. Offensively you could see lots of points and the depth at shooting guards, there hasn’t been a lot of them. So if he pans out, definitely worth a B grade.

Toronto Raptors
Alec Kessler B+ C- C- B- B- D
Ready now player to pair with Moses, highly justified. Great pickup for Raptors

Minnesota Timberwolves (from Grizzlies)
Grade: C-
Phil Henderson B- C C+ B C- B
Could definitely be worth it. B potential guys are hard to judge because they look like they are stuck in no mans land and boom one of them has a good TC

Golden State Warriors
Grade: A-
A.J. English B B- C B- C- C
Definitely a good pick up. Offensively, he could easily start out scoring 15ppg. Potentially could be a 20ppg player with a bit of boost.

Grades reflect on those passing up on certain players more than anything. Might give guys a better understanding of ratings and notes. Gets repetitive…
Last edited by jibbajabba614 on Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
offtheheezy
Senior
GM: Vancouver Grizzlies

Re: 1990 draft grades

Post by offtheheezy »

jibbajabba614 wrote:
Honestly you just get a D cause you had a shot at Rusconi and you should know better…
In my defense the notes posted indicated that Rusconi had C potential :lol:
jibbajabba614
Senior
GM: Milwaukee Bucks GM

Post by jibbajabba614 »

offtheheezy wrote:
jibbajabba614 wrote:
In my defense the notes posted indicated that Rusconi had C potential :lol:
Fair enough. Now that summer is over, I’ll have more free time. During summers, drafts get done later than normal. And notes get done right before drafts. Final draft file doesn’t get done right before draft starts.
Skyhooker
Junior
GM: Philadelphia 76ers

Post by Skyhooker »

jibbajabba614 wrote: Philadelphia 76ers (from Nets)
Stefano Rusconi B C D- B B B
While they deserve an F for passing on Payton, they do get a great grade in Rusconi. A guy ratings like this with a B potential definitely put him in the top ten.
Had I waited until the #3 was actually on time to pick I would've taken Payton. I made the mistake of trading early. I had no idea he would be there. Bad intuition
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Nice take.