1988 Lottery Re-Draft

Moderators: UOducksTK1, Zyme, lukeyrid13, Oregon Ownage

Craig
Senior
GM: Phoenix Suns GM

1988 Lottery Re-Draft

Post by Craig »

Doing a re-draft of the 1988 lottery with these guys starting their second contracts. Obviously there is still time in the future for things to change, but thought this was a decent point in time to look back. This was actually super tough. I think you can make a reasonable argument to move around anyone in the top 6 and also I wouldn't be opposed to moving around all the guys from 7-13. This draft turned out to be crazy good at the top. Stats as of Day 55

1. Charles Smith (Actually Picked: 6 / Actual Pick at 1: Rik Smits)
A- C C A- A- C / 24.1ppg, 12.4rpg, 3.4apg, 1.3spg, 2.7bpg, 2.7topg, .484 FG%, .785 FT%, .000 3P% (36.5mpg)
I think you can make a credible argument for any of my top 6 at the #1 spot here in a re-draft, to be honest. I’m going with maybe a bit of a homer pick in Smith, who is having another career year after breaking out in 1990. He is currently top 3 in the league in scoring AND rebounding, which is pretty impressive, and he has added above-average shot blocking to his repertoire as well. He is at a point where he can credibly play all three frontcourt positions as well, which is nice versatility to have for teambuilding and game planning. The margin here is pretty thin, though, so I wouldn’t quibble with other guys being at the top of this list.

2. Jerome Lane (Actually Picked: 11 / Actual Pick at 2: Mitch Richmond)
B+ C+ B- A- B+ B / 23.4ppg, 10.3rpg, 4.3apg, 1.2spg, 0.5bpg, 2.1topg, .492 FG%, .736 FT%, .417 3P% (38.1mpg)
Might be a controversial call here, being that this is Lane’s first season with real minutes, but he’s had the skills for a bit while stuck behind James Worthy. With Worthy gone, Lane is challenging for being the top SF in the league. Like a lot of scoring PF’s who don’t protect the rim, he has greatly benefitted from the move to the wing. He’s this high on my list due to being an almost flawless player. He’s a great scorer, rebounder, and passer. He’s a plus defender, shoots great percentages and does not turn the ball over much. If you want to pick nits, you’d like him to shoot more 3’s and make more plays (steals/blocks) on defense, but he’s top notch. He was a gamble coming in, lasting all the way to pick #11 originally, but it paid off in a big way.

3. Danny Manning (Actually Picked: 4 / Actual Pick at 3: Rony Seikaly)
A- C+ C- B+ B+ B / 23.9ppg, 10.6rpg, 2.6apg, 0.9spg, 1.7bpg, 2.7topg, .489 FG%, .779 FT%, .267 3P% (33.3mpg)
Manning is probably the most decorated player on this list, enjoying early success as Rookie of the Year and All League 3rd Team in his first season. He also won a championship and Playoff MVP in his second season. He only moves slightly down for me due to the recent progression of Smith/Lane. Manning himself has improved as well, particularly with handling and shooting percentages. He is coming off an All League 1st Team award last season, and will likely be fighting with Charles Smith for that honor again this year. The guy is a stud.

4. Rik Smits (Actually Picked: 1 / Actual Pick at 4: Danny Manning)
B C- C- A A- B / 16.4ppg, 12.0rpg, 1.9apg, 0.8spg, 4.0bpg, 2.0topg, .496 FG%, .545 FT%, .143 3P% (34.3mpg)
Smits has come into the league as advertised and become an All League level defender, earning 2nd Team honors in 1990. He is easily one of the league’s top rim protectors and rebounders and also does a good job of taking care of the ball. He has had some decent scoring season on lower efficiency with little offensive help on the roster over his career, but he’s just a “good, not great” scorer as an offensive threat, which keeps him out of the #1 spot for me. Otherwise, though, he’s a top-notch building block. We’ll have to see how the rest of his career turns out with the struggling Hornets.

5. Hersey Hawkins (Actually Picked: 10 / Actual Pick at 5: Pooh Richardson)
B- A- C A- C- C / 19.9ppg, 4.1rpg, 3.2apg, 2.5spg, 0.3bpg, 2.3topg, .449 FG%, .836 FT%, .381 3P% (38.0mpg)
The Spurs got two guys who can be argued to be the two best players in this draft at #10 and #11, which is pretty insane. Hawkins is having a bit of a down year, adjusting to being behind Jerome Lane in the pecking order, but he’s been great the last 3 years and is still one of the top players at the deepest position in the league. He’s a great shooter/scorer, one of the top ball-hawks in the league at 2.4spg for his entire career, and does a good job taking care of the ball as a top scoring option. While less impactful due to his 3-point volume, you’d maybe like to see a higher shooting percentage and he’s not amazing on the glass, which brings him slightly down on the list for me, but that’s nitpicking just to find some differentiation between some great players.

6. Mitch Richmond (Actually Picked: 2 / Actual Pick at 6: Charles Smith)
B- A- C A- C- B / 21.3ppg, 5.0rpg, 3.4apg, 1.5spg, 0.2bpg, 2.8topg, .477 FG%, .863 FT%, .408 3P% (34.5mpg)
It has taken a bit longer than the Bullets probably would have liked, but Richmond, in the first year of his max contract, is now earning that money. He’s averaging career highs in points, rebounds, and FG% with a career low in turnovers, which is great to see. He is having a better season than Hawkins, currently, but I wasn’t quite ready to bump him up with the track records each of them have. Mitch could be a late bloomer with even more room to grow, which would be fascinating and bump him up in a later rendition.

7. Chris Morris (Actually Picked: 8 / Actual Pick at 7: Rex Chapman)
C+ A- C B C C / 10.4ppg, 4.0rpg, 2.6apg, 1.4spg, 0.4bpg, 2.4topg, .439 FG%, .872 FT%, .405 3P% (29.4mpg)
This is where there is a significant drop-off. Morris’s placement here is largely based on the progression to his production of last year, as this year he is injured and hasn’t played a ton. Morris is one of the league’s best shooters, consistently among the league leaders in True Shooting, so scoring is his calling card. I would not call him a high-end starting wing, with below average rebounding and ball handling, but he was a starter on a Finals team last year, so he’s definitely capable of being a contributor. We will have to see if his production from last year can be maintained moving forward.

8. Rod Strickland (Actually Picked: 9 / Actual Pick at 8: Chris Morris)
B- B- A- B+ D- B / 12.3ppg, 1.9rpg, 6.0apg, 2.7spg, 0.2bpg, 3.2topg, .450 FG%, .810 FT%, .363 3P% (28.7mpg)
Strickland has come onto the scene as the Hawks’ new starting point guard after not playing a minute in 3 of his first 4 seasons in the league. They gambled on a multi-year contract for him with not much to go on and he has earned a starting spot. He is not without flaws, he has major butterfingers with the ball and wouldn’t know a rebound if it dropped on his head, but he has become a pretty dynamic playmaker on both ends of the floor. 2.7 steals in 29 minutes per game is pretty disruptive on the defensive end. If he can ever get the turnovers under control, he can definitely move up this list and the list of the league’s point guards.

9. Pooh Richardson (Actually Picked: 5 / Actual Pick at 9: Rod Strickland)
C+ C+ A- A- D C / 10.9ppg, 2.5rpg, 7.2apg, 1.9spg, 0.1bpg, 3.9topg, .399 FG%, .732 FT%, .223 3P% (35.4mpg)
Pooh had a promising start to his career but has really stagnated. He’s a good defender and passer, but he can’t keep ahold of the ball and he can’t hit the broad side of a barn when he shoots, which pretty much puts him in run-of-the-mill territory for point guards. He falls behind Strickland, as though they have similar turnover problems, Rod can put the ball in the hole and gets after it in the passing lanes. Richardson is not a bad player but has definitely been a disappointment in relation to his upside coming into the league.

10. Dan Majerle (Actually Picked: 18 / Actual Pick at 10: Hersey Hawkins)
C+ A- C- A- C C / 14.9ppg, 4.7rpg, 3.3apg, 1.8spg, .01bpg, 1.8topg, .443 FG%, .758 FT%, .362 3P% (34.7mpg)
Thunder Dan was a late 1st round pick that has slowly earned his way to a starting spot in Detroit, becoming a solid but unspectacular wing option for the Pistons. He plays good defense, moves the ball, doesn’t turn it over, and scores enough to keep defenses honest, which is a pretty good outcome for pick #18. It would be interesting to see if he could slot into a playoff team, but for now he’s earning his stripes with the young Pistons.

11. Rony Seikaly (Actually Picked: 3 / Actual Pick at 11: Jerome Lane)
B- D F+ A- B C / 10.0ppg, 8.2rpg, 1.3apg, 0.8spg, 1.9bpg, 2.7topg, .401 FG%, .547 FT%, .000 3P% (27.4mpg)
Seikaly, who was picked #3 in the draft, has been a bit of a disappointment given that draft position. He has turned himself into a solid big man, and could maybe start on some teams, but isn’t really going to be a plus in that position. He’s a solid defender/shot blocker and can score a bit when needed but doesn’t do so efficiently with low shooting percentages and high turnovers.

12. Rex Chapman (Actually Picked: 7 / Actual Pick at 12: Harvey Grant)
C A- C+ B+ D+ C / 10.0ppg, 2.7rpg, 3.3apg, 1.4spg, .02bpg, 1.5topg, .464 FG%, .836 FT%, .415 3P% (24.3mpg)
Chapman’s development has been kind of all over the place. He looked good as a rookie, then regressed for a time, and is now trying to climb back to being a contributor. As of now, he’s a good shooter and passer for his position and plays solid defense. He doesn’t score with high volume or rebound very well, making him a pretty solid bench piece but below-average starter.

13. Derrick Chievous (Actually Picked: 13 / Actual Pick at 13: Derrick Chievous)
B- B C+ B C+ C / 5.1ppg, 2.2rpg, 1.6apg, 0.7spg, 0.0bpg, 0.8topg, .500 FG%, .800 FT%, .571 3P% (11.7mpg)
Chievous was a project coming out and taken at the end of the lottery. He has slowly turned himself into a decent two-way wing. He’s a pretty versatile scorer and plus rebounder while playing solid defense. He’s capable as a low-end starter but slots in well as a bench player in the league right now. Maybe a homer pick but it’s slim pickings at this point.

Just missed the cut: Steve Kerr, Grant Long, Jose Vargas
Last edited by Craig on Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SUNS GM
offtheheezy
Senior
GM: Vancouver Grizzlies

Re: 1988 Lottery Re-Draft

Post by offtheheezy »

Steve Kerr is a CHAMPION should be ranked higher than the likes of Chievous :P.

Lane should've been starting over Worthy for like two seasons now, probably would've given them much more playoff success.
Craig
Senior

Post by Craig »

offtheheezy wrote:Steve Kerr is a CHAMPION should be ranked higher than the likes of Chievous :P.

Lane should've been starting over Worthy for like two seasons now, probably would've given them much more playoff success.

1) FALSE

2) TRUE
SUNS GM
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Jerome Lane is secretly Lebron but 20 years earlier. He came out of nowhere to totally blow up.
Cellar-door
Senior
GM: Charlotte Hornets

Post by Cellar-door »

I get the Smits drop, though I think part of it is that I don't usually make him a scoring option, if I forced it to him he'd probably be up near 20ppg, but I don't usually because he'll get me an efficient 16-18 as a non-option and play better D and more minutes.
Hornets GM
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

ya wow. top 6 are amazing.

hornets were smart to pick Smits cuz even if he busted, u still have an elite shot blocker.
Craig
Senior

Post by Craig »

dd10snoop28 wrote:ya wow. top 6 are amazing.

hornets were smart to pick Smits cuz even if he busted, u still have an elite shot blocker.
Yeah it's nice to have that safety net.
SUNS GM
Craig
Senior

Post by Craig »

Whenever this can go through:

Shaquille O'Neal
-Shot Blocking
-Handling
SUNS GM
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Craig wrote:Whenever this can go through:

Shaquille O'Neal
-Shot Blocking
-Handling
+5 handling

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Craig
Senior

Post by Craig »

You're tellin me this dude cant crack 2 blks per 36 but his block rating is over 75? Smh...
SUNS GM
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Oh I thought if I give him +5 and it sends him over 75, then I don’t give it to him. I may have messed up. Ownage?

I can switch it though.

Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Post by Oregon Ownage »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Oh I thought if I give him +5 and it sends him over 75, then I don’t give it to him. I may have messed up. Ownage?

I can switch it though.
74 and under you can process the upgrade

Stat can’t be 75 and over to have an upgrade
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
Craig wrote:Whenever this can go through:

Shaquille O'Neal
-Shot Blocking
-Handling
+5 handling
-5 handling
+5 shot blocking

Sorry about the mess up initially!

Craig
Senior

Post by Craig »

Lol no worries. I was initially just in awe of the weirdness that it suggested but at leaat makes morr sense now
SUNS GM