Inflation Concern

Moderators: UOducksTK1, Zyme, lukeyrid13, Oregon Ownage

the goat
Freshman
GM: Los Angeles Lakers

Re: Inflation Concern

Post by the goat »

I think certain attributes should be tuned down by position. Rebounds/blocks for centers, handles/steals for guards, inside/outside scoring in general, etc
Lakers GM
Craig
Senior
GM: Phoenix Suns GM

Post by Craig »

dd10snoop28 wrote:I don't think we should only be focusing on one specific attribute. The ratings are inflated across the board for all types of players (starters, 6th men, bench, and scrubs).

Retiring people early won't solve the problem, and making drafts worse will also not solve the problem.

Maybe we just reset in a decade or so and just tolerate the inflation?

Or, I think we figure out some sort of fair process that reduce attributes of players across the board.

The problem is that everybody has good ratings that it's hard to distinguish legitimate all-stars from role players....players keep inflation and there are too many "B" and "A" ratings nowadays. Whereas as real life inflation has no limit, we DO have a limit in ratings...

so I think we just need to lower ratings across the board somehow for the entire league. not sure how to do this.
Is it just... this? Do the same thing to every player? Haven't seen any better ideas

I dunno, inflation has been a thing for a while i guess but I'm personally really starting to notice lol
SUNS GM
jibbajabba614
Senior
GM: Milwaukee Bucks GM

Post by jibbajabba614 »

Craig wrote:
dd10snoop28 wrote:I don't think we should only be focusing on one specific attribute. The ratings are inflated across the board for all types of players (starters, 6th men, bench, and scrubs).

Retiring people early won't solve the problem, and making drafts worse will also not solve the problem.

Or, I think we figure out some sort of fair process that reduce attributes of players across the board.

The problem is that everybody has good ratings that it's hard to distinguish legitimate all-stars from role players....players keep inflation and there are too many "B" and "A" ratings nowadays. Whereas as real life inflation has no limit, we DO have a limit in ratings...

so I think we just need to lower ratings across the board somehow for the entire league. not sure how to do this.
Is it just... this? Do the same thing to every player? Haven't seen any better ideas

I dunno, inflation has been a thing for a while i guess but I'm personally really starting to notice lol
Yeah I’m starting too also. Let’s start with drafts. I’m looking over them and we are getting like 5 studs in each draft. We should be aiming for 3. 2.5 for each team add in 10 teams tank 3.75….

Even this past draft was weak I can see 5 guys becoming a star.
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Post by Oregon Ownage »

Craig wrote:

Does anyone know how to update a league file with an excel or CVS file?

I have an idea on adjusting numbers in one go but I cant figure out to import the file
jibbajabba614
Senior

Post by jibbajabba614 »

Oregon Ownage wrote:
Craig wrote:

Does anyone know how to update a league file with an excel or CVS file?

I have an idea on adjusting numbers in one go but I cant figure out to import the file
Zyme and TK. Should. Maybe Broph. Used to do the draft files on that before I started
Cellar-door
Senior
GM: Charlotte Hornets

Post by Cellar-door »

jibbajabba614 wrote:
Craig wrote:

Yeah I’m starting too also. Let’s start with drafts. I’m looking over them and we are getting like 5 studs in each draft. We should be aiming for 3. 2.5 for each team add in 10 teams tank 3.75….

I think the problem is that if you start with drafts you bake in a huge advantage to teams that are good now, and devalue draft picks. We should start with older players, part of the inflation issue is players don't age out of the league like they do in real life.
Hornets GM
jibbajabba614
Senior

Post by jibbajabba614 »

Cellar-door wrote:
jibbajabba614 wrote:
Craig wrote:

I think the problem is that if you start with drafts you bake in a huge advantage to teams that are good now, and devalue draft picks. We should start with older players, part of the inflation issue is players don't age out of the league like they do in real life.
I see the concern. 96 PGs, you got 4 guys you could consider studs and yes 3 of them were top picks; 97 SG you got 3 guys considered studs and yes again they were top players. 98 SFs, 3 studs again. 2 were top players and 1 had good notes. 99 PGs again your looking at 3-4 studs…

This is just the heavy position in each drafts. I think we should have more busts per said but also keep the top five guys drafting happy
Oregon Ownage
All-American

Post by Oregon Ownage »

We will be taking a break this off-season as I work to adjust the inflated ratings. B/c I cant find a way to update the files via .csv I will have to manually update the ratings for each player and that will take alot of time. The main issue I found is that the defense, rebounding and handles ratings are the biggest offenders. Steals and blocks specifically are inflated and when reduced, will help reduce the defense rating across the board.

I dont have a specific number yet that I will drop each category but I will mess around on a test file to find a good spot. No idea on how long this break will be but all players will be impacted and drop the same amount of points for each category so the best players will still be the best but rather the ratings will be in check
The Bean Regime
Senior
GM: Minnesota Timberwolves GM

Post by The Bean Regime »

FBB - Tools - CSV output - Output type "League Import" will get you the csv for easy editing. Then you put the excel file in the Import folder (starts in Output) and start a new league with it after editing it.

You lose career stats and records, but the records can be recorded and I already have a career stats file (though out-of-date currently).

Also, might have been just a bug with my file, but everyone was in FA despite team/contract details being in the league import file which would be annoying to say the least when testing it out.
Goose!
Five Star Recruit

Post by Goose! »

Will this be affecting players from the more recent draft classes too? Think the numbers have been in check starting from the 99 draft, correct me if I'm wrong.
Oregon Ownage
All-American

Post by Oregon Ownage »

Goose! wrote:Will this be affecting players from the more recent draft classes too? Think the numbers have been in check starting from the 99 draft, correct me if I'm wrong.
It shouldnt impact them too much bc I had been planning this for some time but didnt have the required time in past off seasons to address it
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Cellar-door wrote:
jibbajabba614 wrote:
Craig wrote:

Truth^

And we've seen a decline in draft talent since I opened my mouth about inflation. :lol: Now I am playing the price since I started rebuilding right when I raised this concern.

And that is 100% not a dig to jibba, cuz he did a great job with those files. It's just the nature of the situation, so we have to treat it delicately.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Craig
Senior
GM: Phoenix Suns GM

Post by Craig »

Goose! wrote:Will this be affecting players from the more recent draft classes too? Think the numbers have been in check starting from the 99 draft, correct me if I'm wrong.
Tell me you're in a rebuild without telling me you're in a rebuild lol
SUNS GM
jibbajabba614
Senior

Post by jibbajabba614 »

Craig wrote:
Tell me you're in a rebuild without telling me you're in a rebuild lol
We started in 1985. So of course we wanted to bring in talent with the drafts. The talent level was more or less having 2 stars to win a championship. 90’s, you needed 3. Now you gotta have at least 4 stars and trying to keep up with the times of hard cap. When you get to a point of needing 5 stars to win a championship, it becomes a problem. And getting a star at MLE is where the whole inflation started. Vet minimum to fill in depth. So, I think I did tone down the drafts so we can still have a great 2003, 2005, 2007 and 2008 draft.

Considering from 99-02, we had a lot of busts in RL, I thought it was a perfect plan.

When you have all these guys from the mid 90’s in their 30’s, we get a whole new youth of potential superstars. And keeps us at a pace to not have that problem again
vincent1469
Five Star Recruit
GM: Seattle Supersonics

Post by vincent1469 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
Cellar-door wrote:
jibbajabba614 wrote:
Craig wrote:

Truth^

And we've seen a decline in draft talent since I opened my mouth about inflation. :lol: Now I am playing the price since I started rebuilding right when I raised this concern.

And that is 100% not a dig to jibba, cuz he did a great job with those files. It's just the nature of the situation, so we have to treat it delicately.
I think the draft talent peaked at 1992. 5 out of the Top 6 ended up being Top 3 in their position at least once in their career (Shaq, Kenny Anderson, Zo, Jim Jackson, Sprewell). Sorry, Christian Laettner.