Justin Herbert is getting the start right now

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: Justin Herbert is getting the start right now

Post by Duck07 »

Part of me is just fine with Herbert balling out and others on the team losing the game for them since I now want to see Penei Sewell end up on the Chargers.

Plus, I've been really impressed with Pep Hamilton the last few years so if Anthony Lynn gets canned after the year and they promote Pep, I think Justin would be in good hands going forward. Plus, the Defense is missing guys like Derwin James this year in a big way that would have made a big difference in the short passing/outside run game the last 2 weeks.

As far as the Arroyo question, the other side of that coin is that Justin never had reliable pass catchers for the most part, or only 1 of them at a time. With NFL caliber skill players we're seeing some completions that for 4 years would have all been drops for us.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

It's been impressive to watch every facet of the game let Herbert down.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Seeing all these takes on twitter about how 'We knew Justin was great all along!' and the recruiting staff retweeting every compliment he's receiving.

I think that's kind of a tough line to toe when you get passed the surface level. So, he's playing like a guy who was worthy of the #1 overall draft pick, but wasn't. He put up good but not great numbers at Oregon and wasn't in the Heisman conversation. So what's the takeaway there? 'Hey, come to Oregon where you can be uber talented but your OC won't maximize your skillset?' or 'Hey, come to Oregon where you can make every throw but receivers won't make the catch?' Not saying they shouldn't tout Herbert's early pro success by any means, because they should, but I think the negative recruiting from other schools is something to be expected, because frankly Oregon didn't get as much out of Herbert as they should have when you think back to how good he was as a true freshman.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Herbert had 3 coaches in 3 seasons, one of which wasn't a full season.

So that's a bit of a counter-argument.

Our talent at WR is going to be better as is our OC going forward.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

StevensTechU wrote:Seeing all these takes on twitter about how 'We knew Justin was great all along!' and the recruiting staff retweeting every compliment he's receiving.

I think that's kind of a tough line to toe when you get passed the surface level. So, he's playing like a guy who was worthy of the #1 overall draft pick, but wasn't. He put up good but not great numbers at Oregon and wasn't in the Heisman conversation. So what's the takeaway there? 'Hey, come to Oregon where you can be uber talented but your OC won't maximize your skillset?' or 'Hey, come to Oregon where you can make every throw but receivers won't make the catch?' Not saying they shouldn't tout Herbert's early pro success by any means, because they should, but I think the negative recruiting from other schools is something to be expected, because frankly Oregon didn't get as much out of Herbert as they should have when you think back to how good he was as a true freshman.
I get what you are saying, but the bottom line is Herbert ended his career as a Pac-12 Champ, Rose Bowl MVP and was drafted #6 (it isn't like he slipped to the 3rd round or something). The Ducks can also tout their academic support played a role in him winning the "Academic Heisman." The idea that all of this is somehow going to result in effective negative recruiting is pretty laughable. Good luck with that Jimmy, Clay, et al.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Definitely not a strategy washington can use since the last time they produced a QB who mattered was... yea, I don't know. But for USC, or other schools who run out a garbage QB who everyone is convinced is good simply because they're surrounded by talent, I could see them making that case. "If Herbert went to Clemson, he would've been the #1 overall pick." That sort of thing.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

StevensTechU wrote:Definitely not a strategy washington can use since the last time they produced a QB who mattered was... yea, I don't know. But for USC, or other schools who run out a garbage QB who everyone is convinced is good simply because they're surrounded by talent, I could see them making that case. "If Herbert went to Clemson, he would've been the #1 overall pick." That sort of thing.

Or you just hope Tyler is as good as the reports, and in 2 years show recruits 2 NFL starting qbs.

You can also point out that Jacob Eason was a 5* all world QB coming out of HS, and was a mid round pick and sitting on a bench now.
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

StevensTechU wrote:Definitely not a strategy washington can use since the last time they produced a QB who mattered was... yea, I don't know. But for USC, or other schools who run out a garbage QB who everyone is convinced is good simply because they're surrounded by talent, I could see them making that case. "If Herbert went to Clemson, he would've been the #1 overall pick." That sort of thing.
Herbert was a 3-star prospect that had one offer from a Power 5 school. He goes to Oregon and becomes the #6 pick in the draft. I know coaches are looking for any edge they can find, but any opposing coach that actually thinks that wildly improbable success story is an effective way to negatively recruit against Oregon has officially lost his mind.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

It'd be Mark Brunell, so last millennium when the Jaguars and Texans became franchises.

QBs drafted since 2000: Tuiasosopo 2nd; Pickett 7th; Locker 1st; Stick 4th

Joey (1); Feeley (5); Clemens (2); Dixon (5); Mariota (1); Herbert (1)

They do have 1 QB in the HOF but we have 2, and more players in Canton overall by a 2:1 margin. (We're tied for 9th most all-time with 6)
cmmadness
Three Star Recruit

Post by cmmadness »

And three more passing touchdowns and a five yard scramble for a fourth TD. Just-----------unbelievable.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

cmmadness wrote:And three more passing touchdowns and a five yard scramble for a fourth TD. Just-----------unbelievable.
With his rushing effort, he seems to keep setting records every week. Think I heard he and Mahomes are the only two QB’s in recent years to throw for over 250yds in their first few games as a rookie.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Justin is doing great so far, and watching him play is a great replacement for the Duck football we would normally be getting. However, from listening to some of the commentary, I suspect he is benefiting to some degree from no fans, especially with road games. Most rookies get pretty rattled from crowd noise while they are trying to figure out plays, read defenses, etc. What is going on right now is almost like a practice/scrimmage every week, which I suspect is why the Miami coach suddenly wants to put Tua in, to take advantage of the unique training opportunity under way less pressure. If we get crowds back next year, these rookies might have a tougher time than they are having so far this year.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Phalanx wrote:Justin is doing great so far, and watching him play is a great replacement for the Duck football we would normally be getting. However, from listening to some of the commentary, I suspect he is benefiting to some degree from no fans, especially with road games. Most rookies get pretty rattled from crowd noise while they are trying to figure out plays, read defenses, etc. What is going on right now is almost like a practice/scrimmage every week, which I suspect is why the Miami coach suddenly wants to put Tua in, to take advantage of the unique training opportunity under way less pressure. If we get crowds back next year, these rookies might have a tougher time than they are having so far this year.
My thoughts exactly!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Phalanx wrote:Justin is doing great so far, and watching him play is a great replacement for the Duck football we would normally be getting. However, from listening to some of the commentary, I suspect he is benefiting to some degree from no fans, especially with road games. Most rookies get pretty rattled from crowd noise while they are trying to figure out plays, read defenses, etc. What is going on right now is almost like a practice/scrimmage every week, which I suspect is why the Miami coach suddenly wants to put Tua in, to take advantage of the unique training opportunity under way less pressure. If we get crowds back next year, these rookies might have a tougher time than they are having so far this year.
I suspect the Tua thing has to do with how well Herbert is playing. Putting the pressure on Miami to start a guy they picked instead of JH.

As for the crowd, most rookies have played infront of lowd stadiums. And outside of KC, Seattle and Philly, colleges fans are a lot crazier and more into the games than most NFL stadiums.
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I gotta say... I don't think not having crowds would have made Joey any better of a pro.

That is to say, I think the pressure comes from your teammates, your coaches, media, and 300 pound defensive linemen trying to take your head off. I think home and opposing crowds are a minor ingredient compared to those things.