Jamal Hill and DJ James cited*

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: Jamal Hill and DJ James arrested

Post by buckmarkduck »

ducks5ever wrote:Fyi for those needing some perspective. I'm pretty sure if any of us walked outside and started shooting people with a pellet gun, we're probably going to spend the night in jail unless bailed out. This is pretty serious even if it was just for giggles. These guys are still adults and will be treated as such.

If they had shot people with a pellet gun, you would probably be right.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: Jamal Hill and DJ James cited*

Post by StevensTechU »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Well I’m guessing they’re as good as gone.
For shooting BB guns?

Punished for being dumbasses? Absolutely. Kicked off the team? I don't see how that's helpful to anyone. I'm not exactly concerned that they're going to get the rest of the defense caught up in a BB gun gang.
I started my post before the second tweet was posted, all I saw was they assaulted someone and thought what you thought, they beat the living hell out of someone.
I think we've (sadly) been around the block too many times. I'm jaded by some of what I saw football players do first-hand.

Regarding the update that they were not, in fact, arrested, I've changed the thread topic to say cited*.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Kind of funny that we are talking about Cristobal as the arbiter of justice and punishment here. These guys were actually shooting random people in the public, no? I'm not sure how running stairs or whatever makes restitution to them or the public in general. Community service makes more sense, I guess. Hopefully an apology to the people harmed is involved. It's hard to believe that adults have to be told you don't shoot people you don't know.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Regardless how this turns out in court, I have no doubt that Cristobal will, indeed, be an arbiter of justice. To do otherwise would be to shirk his duty to his team and the community at large.

Knuckleheads happen in every part of society. Aberrant behavior crosses all barriers, be it race, creed, or avocation.

Part of a college coach's job is holding the players under his tutelage responsible for behavior that reflects directly on their team and the institution that provides them the opportunity to participate in their sport of choice in exchange for an education.

Too many coaches choose to tacitly accept that behavior as ok, since "boys will be boys", or as part of the necessary compromises involved in building a "winning" program.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

It was nothing less than a dumbass move by two young adults that most certainly knew better and knew what they were doing was wrong.. I hope Cristabol gives them at least one game plus many days of soar muscles. I will be curious to see how Cristabol handles this.

Air soft guns do sting, my concern is they shot someone on a scooter, that is wreck less indangerment. Who knows what injuries could have happened if the rider lost control
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

Pull a gun on the wrong person and they could've ended up dead as someone shoots back.

Plus if you're shot with one of those airsoft pellets from a high quality gun you're in some serious pain - hell, lose an eye with no problem. Knock out a tooth. Leave you wondering if you were shot for a couple minutes while you search your body. We have no idea what guns these were, only one was a pistol and one was a rifle.

This is just plain unacceptable. If this is anything less than 3 games as a punishment I'll be disappointed in the message it sends.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

A few years ago I was driving through town when I saw 2 young adults/teens in white tall tees with bandannas over their faces crossing the street. One of them flipped up the back of his shirt to put a large black pistol in his waist band as they walked towards an apartment building.

What do you do when you see that?

I called the cops. One showed up to the complex and told them to get against the wall before the officer found out that it was merely an airsoft pistol. They called me back and said it was some young kids (13-ish) playing gang-banger, that they almost s*** themselves and that grandma was furious at them. He said that the pistol looked like a .45 and didn't have an orange tip or anything to make one think it wasn't an actual handgun.

I cannot overstate how stupid their actions are, both for the players and for the young kids that day. What's particularly upsetting is the carelessness and lack of foresight about what their actions could have caused, both to others and to themselves.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I was curious to see shots from an air soft gun, and you tube is full of them. Here is one, with what I’m assuming is a really nice air soft gun since he’s hitting people from a ways out. You can see when he doesn’t hit people in the head, they don’t even know they got hit.

https://youtu.be/zfU1APNKLrE
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

Agree with above post some of the air soft guns are very realistic. Pull a gun on the wrong by person and it won’t end well.
As far as punishment, let the people they shot with air soft gun,not Bb or pellet, shoot them, run stairs and miss first half of Fresno game. People say sec sets the bar in college football, that sounds like a sec punishment
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Probably worthwhile to talk about this-

If Hill and James are suspended for any number of games, the fill-ins look to be Dontae Manning/Trikweze Bridges at corner and Bennett Williams at slot. To be honest, I think that even though Williams doesn't have Hill's athleticism, he's probably a better player (can anyone name a Hill highlight outside of the one game against USC?). So I don't see any drop off at all there. Conversely, there isn't an obvious backup to James. Perhaps it will be second-year Dontae Manning, who has an immense amount of athleticism but is only in year 2 of being a corner. It could also be Trikweze Bridges, who has had a lot of reps in the program at corner, but is probably the least speedy player in the secondary, including walk-ons. Addison, Dickerson, and Davies will be wildcards, but in their first years in the program/at the position, it would be a lot to ask for them to start covering Ohio State receivers right out of the gate.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:Probably worthwhile to talk about this-

If Hill and James are suspended for any number of games, the fill-ins look to be Dontae Manning/Trikweze Bridges at corner and Bennett Williams at slot. To be honest, I think that even though Williams doesn't have Hill's athleticism, he's probably a better player (can anyone name a Hill highlight outside of the one game against USC?). So I don't see any drop off at all there. Conversely, there isn't an obvious backup to James. Perhaps it will be second-year Dontae Manning, who has an immense amount of athleticism but is only in year 2 of being a corner. It could also be Trikweze Bridges, who has had a lot of reps in the program at corner, but is probably the least speedy player in the secondary, including walk-ons. Addison, Dickerson, and Davies will be wildcards, but in their first years in the program/at the position, it would be a lot to ask for them to start covering Ohio State receivers right out of the gate.
Well whichever corner it is, we'll probably have 15 samples of where they are at in the first 15 plays.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Since this is a football forum and there are football issues as well: Jamal Hill has great potential but I agree with Stu that his highlights are severely limited. Hill has a major flaw in his game; he over pursues worse than anyone I can recall in an Oregon uniform. He did it on his high school tape, and it’s the same spots on the same leopard. I mentioned it on my game reviews last year, he looks like he’s wearing roller skates at times and hasn’t learned to brake. Hill does have all conference potential, he needs a lot of coaching to get there but he’s improved.

DJ James is obviously one of two proven CBs and he’s tough. Reminds me of Terrence Mitchell.

Back on the legal aspect, to whoever said we’d spend a night in jail if we did the same: It’s pretty rare to spend a night in jail now on charges like this. It mostly depends on what time you’re booked, and if you have priors, warrants, or FTAs. They were cited and not booked, so after their court appearance they will be booked, get mugshots and prints, and will have to cool their heels in holding for a bit until the county has enough people ready for release to make it worth their time to open the doors and give them their shoes or laces back. Same as if it was any of us, I doubt they got any preferential treatment.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

GoDucksTroll wrote:Since this is a football forum and there are football issues as well: Jamal Hill has great potential but I agree with Stu that his highlights are severely limited. Hill has a major flaw in his game; he over pursues worse than anyone I can recall in an Oregon uniform. He did it on his high school tape, and it’s the same spots on the same leopard. I mentioned it on my game reviews last year, he looks like he’s wearing roller skates at times and hasn’t learned to brake. Hill does have all conference potential, he needs a lot of coaching to get there but he’s improved.

DJ James is obviously one of two proven CBs and he’s tough. Reminds me of Terrence Mitchell.

Back on the legal aspect, to whoever said we’d spend a night in jail if we did the same: It’s pretty rare to spend a night in jail now on charges like this. It mostly depends on what time you’re booked, and if you have priors, warrants, or FTAs. They were cited and not booked, so after their court appearance they will be booked, get mugshots and prints, and will have to cool their heels in holding for a bit until the county has enough people ready for release to make it worth their time to open the doors and give them their shoes or laces back. Same as if it was any of us, I doubt they got any preferential treatment.
I can tell you from experience there isn’t special treatment here. Most cops will “clc” if it’s an option because it cuts hours off the encounter.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Given his track record, Mario probably won't let us know how long the kids are out, but it's probably at least a game, if not 4.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

GoDucksTroll wrote:Since this is a football forum and there are football issues as well: Jamal Hill has great potential but I agree with Stu that his highlights are severely limited. Hill has a major flaw in his game; he over pursues worse than anyone I can recall in an Oregon uniform. He did it on his high school tape, and it’s the same spots on the same leopard. I mentioned it on my game reviews last year, he looks like he’s wearing roller skates at times and hasn’t learned to brake. Hill does have all conference potential, he needs a lot of coaching to get there but he’s improved.

Yeah that was me. Even though it's not a real gun, I still think shooting people with projectiles randomly can get you in serious trouble. I'm no legal expert but if the person on the scooter crashed or lost control and was seriously injured, wouldn't these guys be facing some pretty serious charges? If someone really wanted to, wouldn't this go under involuntary or attempted manslaughter?