Thoughts and observations

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duckfan96
Senior

Thoughts and observations

Post by duckfan96 »

Ab played ok he had some really nice plays but the bad ones geez. From missed receivers to the pucks.
Who was the guy in the boot they kept showing?
KT is a bad dude
Ducks did a pretty good job against the run I thought.
Missed pat bah
The kids may love those unis but they looked like they were mud splattered on tv.
Where was a backup center who could play like this against tcu?
What was the word on Funa?
Ducks should move up to 8 right? Ok st and penn st should drop.

Ducks win!!

Ps TD fitting initials for due yesterday
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Re: Thoughts and observations

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Jackson powers Johnson had the boot on.

He was lead blocker on a play and when the defender went to tackle Dye, he went helmet fiirst into the back of JPJ’s knee / leg.
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

Thank you
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

We dominated the game beyond the first quarter. Even at the end, UCLA only got back into it because we shot ourselves with a few dumb turnovers and left our D on the field too much.

It's unfortunate we weren't able to finish with a 21-pt win and some badly needed style points. This (accurate) narrative of Oregon playing up/down to its competition won't help our standing with the playoff selection committee.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

McGee plays like he has been on the team for a long time. He is going to be ace. He fits so well.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

I liked that McGee is more concerned about securing the ball than some of his teammates... Maybe he could do some tutoring?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

woundedknees wrote:I liked that McGee is more concerned about securing the ball than some of his teammates... Maybe he could do some tutoring?

I saw Mario even coaching Pittman to cover up the ball on his long reception.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

woundedknees wrote:I liked that McGee is more concerned about securing the ball than some of his teammates... Maybe he could do some tutoring?
Kris Hutson!
thatbpguy
Four Star Recruit

Post by thatbpguy »

First, it was a good win. Easily our best game aside from OSU. As already pointed out, we tried to give it away with turnovers, but the defense rose to the occasion. I liked our game plan as well. We stopped running between the tackles into a stacked box and made good passes. And even though AB is not a down field passer, the fact he saw open receivers was good. So I'm a happy Duck fan today. My hope is that we build on this. We have WSU (their offense will drive us crazy), and tough games with Utah and the Civil War.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

thatbpguy wrote:First, it was a good win. Easily our best game aside from OSU. As already pointed out, we tried to give it away with turnovers, but the defense rose to the occasion. I liked our game plan as well. We stopped running between the tackles into a stacked box and made good passes. And even though AB is not a down field passer, the fact he saw open receivers was good. So I'm a happy Duck fan today. My hope is that we build on this. We have WSU (their offense will drive us crazy), and tough games with Utah and the Civil War.

WSU fired the HC and OC. If they drive us crazy, we have issues.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

thatbpguy wrote:First, it was a good win. Easily our best game aside from OSU. As already pointed out, we tried to give it away with turnovers, but the defense rose to the occasion. I liked our game plan as well. We stopped running between the tackles into a stacked box and made good passes. And even though AB is not a down field passer, the fact he saw open receivers was good. So I'm a happy Duck fan today. My hope is that we build on this. We have WSU (their offense will drive us crazy), and tough games with Utah and the Civil War.
I felt the same way. The game against UCLA reminded me of the Ohio State game. Oregon definitely looks great when they play great competition but they struggled closing both games out which needs to be worked on.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

pezsez1 wrote:We dominated the game beyond the first quarter. Even at the end, UCLA only got back into it because we shot ourselves with a few dumb turnovers and left our D on the field too much.

It's unfortunate we weren't able to finish with a 21-pt win and some badly needed style points. This (accurate) narrative of Oregon playing up/down to its competition won't help our standing with the playoff selection committee.
I've mentioned the playing up and down to competition back when they played Fresno St. I think Oregon fans including myself took Chip Kelly's consistency of destroying ok and bad teams for granted. I also don't blame Cristobal he has installed the 1-0 mentality similar to Chip's win the day but he hasn't completely brain washed the guys into not focusing on the rankings like Chip was able to do. Still Cristobal does great in the big games like with Ohio State and UCLA.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

I had pretty much the same observations.

* AB is so wildly inconsistent. Runs the offense great at times, at others makes you wonder if he’s ever played QB. The inability to throw the ball beyond 10 yards is baffling. He’s got a pea shooter arm, the velocity issues let defenders make plays. The INTs were awful, but before that he was overall great even with the lack of accuracy.

* Thibodeaux is just otherworldly. Haloti and DeFo and Nick Reed were all game changers, but Kayvon is at a different level on how he changes the game. We lose without him. We don’t let the refs hand Stanford the game if he’s not ejected. I don’t think we beat Cal without him.

* Seven McGee and Troy Franklin need more touches.

* Funa comes back from injury and gets injured. Forsyth still out. Steven Jones injured. I’m not sure what is going on, give them some milk or something, so many injuries.

* Great against the run.

* Brandon Dorlus is a legit stud, love to see it. Best development I’ve seen from Salave’a to date. Out of younger guys Bradyn Swinson continues to be a future star. DJ James made some great plays and some not great plays. Dontae Manning got hurt but had an impressive play. Jeff Bassa is doing great, despite having some doubters here.

* I did like the uniforms, but not my favorite. The duck egg motif is cool, and allows for some nice gear the same way Jordan elephant print does.

* 7-9 on third down, credit to Moorhead, OL, and Brown . Travis Dye fantastic in scoring position, showing the trend I’ve talked about statistically where throughout his career he’s the best short yardage option over CJ or Cyrus in the past. NCAA record four carries in a row for TDs.

* I like wanting to be aggressive going for the end zone, but you can’t let that dangerous ball go if you’re Brown. Dumb throw, but I prefer that over vanilla offense. Try to win.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

duck023 wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:We dominated the game beyond the first quarter. Even at the end, UCLA only got back into it because we shot ourselves with a few dumb turnovers and left our D on the field too much.

I've mentioned the playing up and down to competition back when they played Fresno St. I think Oregon fans including myself took Chip Kelly's consistency of destroying ok and bad teams for granted. I also don't blame Cristobal he has installed the 1-0 mentality similar to Chip's win the day but he hasn't completely brain washed the guys into not focusing on the rankings like Chip was able to do. Still Cristobal does great in the big games like with Ohio State and UCLA.
I agree, they play to the level of their competition.

It feels like we’lll beat Bama by 3, and then we’ll beat Portland State by 7.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I don’t think Oregon plays to the level of their opponent, I think that Oregon has a ton of potential, especially on offense, and depending on the level of their opponent they play to their potential for a certain amount of time. Bad/inferior opponents, 1 - 1 1/2 Quarters, good opponents, 2 -2 1/2 quarters, great opponents, 3 - 3 1/2 quarters. I guess it’s sort of the same thing. Just funny how the team can look so bad but look so great for certain periods in the same game, mainly on offense. Just imagine how good this team could be if they put things together for four quarters every game.