New indoor practice facility

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: New indoor practice facility

Post by Duck07 »

Quietduck wrote:How about a parking structure to relieve the number of cars per sqft in the lot? That would be valuable to the customers as well.
On the E/SE side you could build one that on the top level connects to the concourse for all of the suite holders, vips, media, etc and you could build another "tailgate" section on the roof.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

pezsez1 wrote:It's almost as if Uncle Phil cares more about luring recruits than providing parking spots for spectators...

Seriously, in Phil I trust. This facility looks amazing and it's all about the "shock and awe" during those blue-chip recruiting visits. Whatever helps us win, I'm for it. Parking spots don't really help us win.
Win a Championship and I'll park anymore heck maybe even Medford and walk down the 5.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

This is awesome, and the next step in the arms race. Outdoor practice? Autzen. This thing opens up for natural light, will be certified green by whoever certifies this diamond tier facility. As others have said, the air filtration will allow for forest fire practices and maybe a game if necessary.

The Mo is old and small by modern standards. Look at what Northwestern just built. It will give the other sports more space. No beer on Saturday for thousands of fans and then practice on Monday in the same building. It will connect to the HD. What else can Phil do for athletics? Another Autzen remodel, since expansion is not needed, is all I can think of. A supersonic jet for recruiting? NIL the top QB transfer in the country?
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

GoDucksTroll wrote:
The Mo is old and small by modern standards. Look at what Northwestern just built. It will give the other sports more space. No beer on Saturday for thousands of fans and then practice on Monday in the same building. It will connect to the HD. What else can Phil do for athletics? Another Autzen remodel, since expansion is not needed, is all I can think of. A supersonic jet for recruiting? NIL the top QB transfer in the country?
This year is an anomaly with covid, but ticket prices exclude most normal people, so I think expansion is still necessary. $120 'cheap' seats for league games is too much. More seats, same demand, lower price = less exclusive of an experience.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

StevensTechU wrote:
GoDucksTroll wrote:
This year is an anomaly with covid, but ticket prices exclude most normal people, so I think expansion is still necessary. $120 'cheap' seats for league games is too much. More seats, same demand, lower price = less exclusive of an experience.

If they can finish Reser, we can finish Autzen. Make it 62k-65k, that’s a size we should be able to sell out. It would also create excitement to and check out the finished stadium.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Yea, I completely agree with that estimate. The problem, and I'm sure why it's never happened, is there is zero return on investment. If you add 10% more seats, ticket prices will drop by 10%, so you end up spending $100M on a project that brings in no revenue. My contention is that if you're to the point that Oregon is with adding new facilities, this is something you can do to bring in 70k more fans into Autzen each season, which is better for the long-term health of the program.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

StevensTechU wrote:Yea, I completely agree with that estimate. The problem, and I'm sure why it's never happened, is there is zero return on investment. If you add 10% more seats, ticket prices will drop by 10%, so you end up spending $100M on a project that brings in no revenue. My contention is that if you're to the point that Oregon is with adding new facilities, this is something you can do to bring in 70k more fans into Autzen each season, which is better for the long-term health of the program.

It depends on sales. We sold out for like 10 years in a row. But with ticket prices rising every year and now Covid, that has ended. I bet if they got the tickets back under $100 average they would sellout again. So lower a bit, but like you said, sell 70k more tickets for the year. It’s a wash at worst, and you make your home field that much loader, which should mean more wins. More wins means bigger bowls, playoffs. Which then gets more money for the school.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

I was told expanding Autzen was under strong consideration before COVID. Now they are taking a more measured approach. It may be ‘awhile’ before they revisit it. I don’t know what ‘awhile’ means in terms of timeframes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Meanwhile the beavs are offering BOGO deals to league games. You can get tickets to their game against Stanford for $17.50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Quietduck wrote:How about a parking structure to relieve the number of cars per sqft in the lot? That would be valuable to the customers as well.
You would think with all the big brains running the UO athletic department they haven't done this years ago! It's not rocket science. Need to build one before they build a water polo arena in what's left of the parking lot.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Looks like Oregon is in talks with the City of Eugene for a land swap so they can add more outdoor practice fields next to the new indoor facility. They'd essentially be swapping 8 acres of property on the south side of the Willamette near the Knight Campus research buildings in exchange for 4 acres.