Kingsley Suamataia entering the transfer portal

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

lmduck

Re: Kingsley Suamataia entering the transfer portal

Post by lmduck »

GoDucksTroll wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:Baffling. This sucks. OL recruiting/development has been super weird under Cristobal and Mirabal.
You don’t want to see another JuCo guy?

It’s certainly confusing. Not so much for Kingsley, LDS kid going home happens. But the OL retention and development is suspect.
Who else on the OL has left/transfered? Cody Shear? I think the development of Sewell was pretty good. What am I honestly missing here?

Maybe KS truly is homesick and based on some RUMORS , he wants to go to BYU and possibly do a mission. If this is the case then it's hard to lay this at the feet of the coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Penei Sewell - Fringe-5*. All-everything. Was ready to go on Day 1.
Steven Jones - 4*. Still around. Been ok but hasn't really developed.
Dawson Jaramillo - 4*. Same comments as Jones.
Chris Randazzo - 3*. Never made any impact. Retired.
Justin Johnson - 3*. Medically retired.

Jonah Tauanu'u - Fringe 5*. No impact. Medically retired.
Sala Aumavae-Laulu - 4*. Rotated as a starter. Solid development.
Logan Sagapolu - High 3*. Still around. No impact (yet).

Jonathan Denis - 4*. Still around. No impact (yet).
TJ Bass - High 3*. Solid starter. Arguably OL on the current team.
Jaylan Jeffers - 3*. Still around. No impact (yet).
Marcus Harper - 3*. Still around. No impact (yet).

Kingsley Suamataia - Fringe 5*. Played 11 snaps. Transferring.
Bram Walden - High 4*. Still around. No impact (yet).
Jackson Powers-Johnson - 4*. Showed up ready to go. Contributor as a true freshman.
Jonah Miller - 4*. Still around. No impact (yet).

High school:
Studs: 2 (i'm counting JPJ)
Contributors: 2
No Impact: 6
Flamed out: 4

JuCo:
Studs: 1
Contributors: 3
No Impact: 0
Flamed out: 0
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Is it fair to say our guys are having no impact? Our line seems pretty good this year, for the most part. Brown has had plenty of time to make throws and we've had success running the ball despite not having world beaters at RB.

Also, because of departures and injuries, it seems we've had guys bouncing all over the line this year, and they've been able to overcome that pretty well.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

pezsez1 wrote:Is it fair to say our guys are having no impact? Our line seems pretty good this year, for the most part. Brown has had plenty of time to make throws and we've had success running the ball despite not having world beaters at RB.

Also, because of departures and injuries, it seems we've had guys bouncing all over the line this year, and they've been able to overcome that pretty well.
Agree Pez and STU thanks for pulling that together. There have been some medical retirements and some who are still learning is my guess. JPJ has been playing and some who are yet to be seen. The whole OL had to be replaced after the 2019 season so questions for sure but not yet ready to question development given the circumstances of last year. Next year could/should be the real test IMO.

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

pezsez1 wrote:Is it fair to say our guys are having no impact? Our line seems pretty good this year, for the most part. Brown has had plenty of time to make throws and we've had success running the ball despite not having world beaters at RB.

Of my comments, which specifically would you change?

I wouldn't call our line "good." Sufficient? Our tackle spots are lower-tier among top 10 teams. Our interior is fine but they don't exactly reset the line of scrimmage on run-blocking. I counted TJ Bass as a stud, which is arguably generous. Has the line had good games? Yea. But they've also had crappy games.

Subjectively, I don't know how you recruit 2 studs on 14 tries and are content with that. That's a god awful ratio.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

For the 20 and 21 guys it’s too early to say.

OL typically don’t play their first 2-3 years. Penei was a total anomaly and aberration.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

lukeyrid13 wrote:For the 20 and 21 guys it’s too early to say.

OL typically don’t play their first 2-3 years. Penei was a total anomaly and aberration.
I 80% agree. haha. 50% don't, while 20% do and 30% never play, more or less. Penei was an anomaly, but Tyler Johnstone, Jake Fisher, Calvin Throckmorton, Shane Lemieux, Jake Hanson, etc. are not (all started by 2nd year).

If you slice it in various ways, it's still bad. Penei was great, but you can't build a great OL by getting 1 Outland trophy winner, 1 decent player, and 2 guys who never see the field (2018 class). Tack on the next class, which is really only Jonah, and you're no closer to having a starting 5 using players from the HS ranks.

With the slop at the tackle spots that we have, there should be someone from the 2018-2020 classes who is better than George Moore (not good), Steven Jones (wildly inconsistent), and Sala (a guard playing tackle). We're now in a position where we hope that a true freshman can come in and play LT next year. Yikes!
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Logan S also took a mission, so he's really part of the 21 class as well.

Denis was in the 2 deep but got hurt. Walden and Kingsley have both been hurt (almost) all this season so it's hard to say but they hype around both is strong.

Jonah Miller was very underweight (I think he may have had mono and that contributed) but he's a long term project.

Overall, with MC as our coach, we should have revamped the line much better after the 2019 season instead of of throwing out a good but not great squad the last two years. The future still looks very bright with a great 22 class coming in and guys continuing to improve and get healthier from the 19 and 20 classes.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

StevensTechU wrote:2018
Penei Sewell - Fringe-5*. All-everything. Was ready to go on Day 1.
Steven Jones - 4*. Still around. Been ok but hasn't really developed.
Dawson Jaramillo - 4*. Same comments as Jones.
Chris Randazzo - 3*. Never made any impact. Retired.
Justin Johnson - 3*. Medically retired.

Jonah Tauanu'u - Fringe 5*. No impact. Medically retired.
Sala Aumavae-Laulu - 4*. Rotated as a starter. Solid development.
Logan Sagapolu - High 3*. Still around. No impact (yet).

Jonathan Denis - 4*. Still around. No impact (yet).
TJ Bass - High 3*. Solid starter. Arguably OL on the current team.
Jaylan Jeffers - 3*. Still around. No impact (yet).
Marcus Harper - 3*. Still around. No impact (yet).

Kingsley Suamataia - Fringe 5*. Played 11 snaps. Transferring.
Bram Walden - High 4*. Still around. No impact (yet).
Jackson Powers-Johnson - 4*. Showed up ready to go. Contributor as a true freshman.
Jonah Miller - 4*. Still around. No impact (yet).

High school:
Studs: 2 (i'm counting JPJ)
Contributors: 2
No Impact: 6
Flamed out: 4

JuCo:
Studs: 1
Contributors: 3
No Impact: 0
Flamed out: 0
I’d argue Jaramiilo, he has played really well the last 6 games. He is becoming a guy who can move anywhere we need him, and you don’t take a ste back. And really outside of one guy, Moore, the OL has improved greatly from game 1 to now.

Kingsley left because he thought he should start now that he’s healthy. Simple as that.

Miller lost 50 lbs fwiw, and needs to reshape his body. I think during two a days he was 247.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

StevensTechU wrote: I wouldn't call our line "good." Sufficient? Our tackle spots are lower-tier among top 10 teams. Our interior is fine but they don't exactly reset the line of scrimmage on run-blocking. I counted TJ Bass as a stud, which is arguably generous. Has the line had good games? Yea. But they've also had crappy games.

Subjectively, I don't know how you recruit 2 studs on 14 tries and are content with that. That's a god awful ratio.
+1 I'm not going to forget the back to back sacks we gave up at the end of the 1st half to the mighty Stony Brook seawolves. It's been hit or miss at times. Yes, we can always toss in injuries as an excuse and we'll hear that more or less for the rest of the season at this rate.

2 day 1 starters out of 14 isn't so bad? It'd only be bad if the other 12/14 were not playable.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

So our 3 best linemen are a walk on and two 3 stars. We need to hire Coach Greatwood out of retirement as a part time consultant to evaluate which recruits to have our current coaches close on. They can recruit but I seriously question their evaluation process. The best lines we have had under Mario were largely recruited by and had a year of coaching by Greatwood.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

GrandpaDuck wrote:So our 3 best linemen are a walk on and two 3 stars. We need to hire Coach Greatwood out of retirement as a part time consultant to evaluate which recruits to have our current coaches close on. They can recruit but I seriously question their evaluation process. The best lines we have had under Mario were largely recruited by and had a year of coaching by Greatwood.

It’s funny to me how many coaches weren’t great until Chip showed up. Great wood and even the legend had some very tough years recruiting anyone until we went to a more hurry up O, made for allowing average OL to provide big holes for RB. To Greatwoods credit, he learned a lot from his time with Chip, and recruited some great players later on. As did the other guy, who I won’t mention but he had 4 years of really bad recruiting.

Anyways, I’ve always said OL is the hardest spot to recruit, anyone 6’5 290 can look dominant in HS.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Sounds like he felt he should be playing more now that he’s healthy. Was there any indication of how he was performing in practice? If he was expecting to be gifted playing time then I can’t imagine he was ever going to be a good fit here.

lmduck

Post by lmduck »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:Sounds like he felt he should be playing more now that he’s healthy. Was there any indication of how he was performing in practice? If he was expecting to be gifted playing time then I can’t imagine he was ever going to be a good fit here.

I was under the impression he was still injured.