Next Duck Coach: DAN LANNING

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: Next Duck Coach

Post by buckmarkduck »

DuckzRule wrote:Some people are thinking of choosing Bryan Harsin, but I honestly don't want him, he had a poor record this year despite almost beating Alabama.

I wanted him to PJ over that idiot Willie last time. But now we need to do better. Uncle Phil isn’t living forever, he deserves a title.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Yes I might be going a little crazy today. The thought of Flags Fly Forever and getting a Title for Phil though has its appeal.

F it dude, let's go bowling and throw 25 a year at Nick Saban while we're at it.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

greenyellow wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:I guess my point is we got to games as fans we wanted to. We exceeded most fans expectations this year.

Just don't be shocked if we are .500 or worse next year, and struggle to have a good team for a few years. We will lose lots of recruits and will probably have a couple big names transfer.
It's basically going to be 2-3 years of pain, recruiting issues, and transfer portal stops before we're anywhere close to sniffing conference championship levels again, let alone CFP and national title hopes.
Exactly, just trying to put things in perspective. I do think there's better guys than MC, but I also know that MC is still a solid coach and a fantastic recruiter. Unless Oregon hits a home run with their hire, I agree with what greenyellow said.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
spacefrog13x wrote:I think Aranda and Campbell have to be your 1A, 1B choices. We need a coach who can develop players. Developmental programs can still win lots of games and sneak into the playoffs or rose bowls (Cincinnati, Utah, etc). Combine that with Oregon NIL, with the right coach we should be right back in the chase in a couple years.
I mean we did go to a rose bowl and a fiesta bowl the previous two years, and we were one game away from a Rose Bowl. So I think good recruiters like MC can get you to those games too..
He got to the Rose Bowl because of Justin Herbert, a player he didn't recruit and frankly never would have offered because he didn't have enough stars. He got to the Fiesta bowl with a team that was Holiday bowl worthy but Covid got them a New Years bowl. Without Herbert dragging the team to respectability the first two years would the recruiting have been as high the last two years?
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

I know most of the people on here don’t believe this, but we got out of this situation just in time. If he would have signed that extension, that would have not been good.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:I guess my point is we got to games as fans we wanted to. We exceeded most fans expectations this year.

Just don't be shocked if we are .500 or worse next year, and struggle to have a good team for a few years. We will lose lots of recruits and will probably have a couple big names transfer.
It's basically going to be 2-3 years of pain, recruiting issues, and transfer portal stops before we're anywhere close to sniffing conference championship levels again, let alone CFP and national title hopes.
Exactly, just trying to put things in perspective. I do think there's better guys than MC, but I also know that MC is still a solid coach and a fantastic recruiter. Unless Oregon hits a home run with their hire, I agree with what greenyellow said.

The roster is loaded. Forget this class, we are still set for next year. So far everyone is saying the right things, and with the right hire I think most stay. This year we won with a QBs worse the Jeff Lockie. I think we can still win next year. I’ve heard the wr group is pretty happy tbh, and Cardwells parents have been sending out tweets insinuating Mario was lying to him, and his dad seemed to be pretty happy Mario is gone.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
spacefrog13x wrote:I think Aranda and Campbell have to be your 1A, 1B choices. We need a coach who can develop players. Developmental programs can still win lots of games and sneak into the playoffs or rose bowls (Cincinnati, Utah, etc). Combine that with Oregon NIL, with the right coach we should be right back in the chase in a couple years.
I mean we did go to a rose bowl and a fiesta bowl the previous two years, and we were one game away from a Rose Bowl. So I think good recruiters like MC can get you to those games too..
He got to the Rose Bowl because of Justin Herbert, a player he didn't recruit and frankly never would have offered because he didn't have enough stars. He got to the Fiesta bowl with a team that was Holiday bowl worthy but Covid got them a New Years bowl. Without Herbert dragging the team to respectability the first two years would the recruiting have been as high the last two years?
Not saying you're wrong, all I'm pointing out is in 4 years at Oregon, every year we either made a BCS bowl or had 9 wins or more. Chip is the only guy to have a better 4 year run at Oregon.

And I'd love for us to do that or better the next 4 seasons, but I'm not optimistic about that now.

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

buckmarkduck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:

The roster is loaded. Forget this class, we are still set for next year. So far everyone is saying the right things, and with the right hire I think most stay. This year we won with a QBs worse the Jeff Lockie. I think we can still win next year. I’ve heard the wr group is pretty happy tbh, and Cardwells parents have been sending out tweets insinuating Mario was lying to him, and his dad seemed to be pretty happy Mario is gone.
I still wouldn't be surprised if a couple of our top players on our current roster left. Perhaps Mario leaving is best for us long term, but it won't be without a couple rough years IMO.

HomeSickDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by HomeSickDuck »

What do people think about Joe Brady? Would be interesting hire. I’m almost leaning toward bringing chip back and surrounding him with some great assistants who will recruit hard. We need stability and I don’t think chip would bail. We know he can coach and will bring back the spread offense.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

HomeSickDuck wrote:What do people think about Joe Brady? Would be interesting hire. I’m almost leaning toward bringing chip back and surrounding him with some great assistants who will recruit hard. We need stability and I don’t think chip would bail. We know he can coach and will bring back the spread offense.
Brady was born in Miami Lakes, Florida and grew up in Pembroke Pines, Florida where he was a four-year letterwinner as a wide receiver at Everglades High School.
Yea, just NO
UofO8
Senior

Post by UofO8 »

HomeSickDuck wrote:What do people think about Joe Brady? Would be interesting hire. I’m almost leaning toward bringing chip back and surrounding him with some great assistants who will recruit hard. We need stability and I don’t think chip would bail. We know he can coach and will bring back the spread offense.
Joe Brady has been pretty bad while at the Panthers (till he was fired) and looks more and more like he was completely propped up by the insane LSU roster he was working with. Chip is a shell of his former self and people seriously need to let go of him coming back. It would be a disaster.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

An important thing to remember about the importance of high school recruiting. It has changed drastically since free agency. Frankly I was concerned about Mario putting too much emphasis on full classes of high schoolers every year and not leaving enough room for transfers.

Hopefully the next coach will have a little more Altman in him and be able to blend both.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I still wouldn't be surprised if a couple of our top players on our current roster left. Perhaps Mario leaving is best for us long term, but it won't be without a couple rough years IMO.
Mario's ability to sell the program was fantastic, but even if a handful of guys leave I still think we could be significantly better over the next couple years if we hire a superior Xs and Os guy who installs a more modern offense.

I know that we're probably not getting Chip Kelly, but imagine what a coach like him could do with Tye Thompson. I bet a lot of coaches out there would salivate over that opportunity. Mario, on the other hand, couldn't find ways to get him on the field even situationally.

Long-term recruiting may certainly suffer, but the next couple years could still be really, really good.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
thatbpguy
Four Star Recruit

Post by thatbpguy »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:Since it sounds like Mario is gone let’s start a thread dedicated to our search for a new HC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, why not. After I called it twice yesterday before it was announced. But I'm not holding grudges.... oh no, not me...... after seeing 2 threads of mine taken down..... ;) ;) ;)