Ty Thompson

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

buckmarkduck
All-American

Ty Thompson

Post by buckmarkduck »

Really hope he can get over whatever is stopping him mentally from being the qb he can be. Kid is looking great in shorts at the manning passing camp.

https://twitter.com/Qb11Sd/status/15408 ... fgRdRXmPNw
SuperDuck
Senior

Re: Ty Thompson

Post by SuperDuck »

buckmarkduck wrote:Really hope he can get over whatever is stopping him mentally from being the qb he can be. Kid is looking great in shorts at the manning passing camp.

https://twitter.com/Qb11Sd/status/15408 ... fgRdRXmPNw
He may not have had a good mentor with his last QB coach. Maybe Coach Dillingham can bring out the best in him? I'd sure like to see it.

Unfortunately, due to our TOUGH non-conference schedule, it may be hard for him to see the field much this year unless it's in mop up duty or if Bo Nix goes down with an injury.
John 3:36
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

He needs live game reps. Unfortunately due to the previous regimes style of offense there weren't many of them for underclassmen to take advantage of.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Based on nothing but gut feeling. TT will be in the transfer portal this year
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
OG Duck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OG Duck »

nogerO wrote:Based on nothing but gut feeling. TT will be in the transfer portal this year
This is all but guaranteed if we land Dante Moore.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

OG Duck wrote:
nogerO wrote:Based on nothing but gut feeling. TT will be in the transfer portal this year
How so? You guys are just going to jump to the same conclusions again that just because a kid is a 5 star, he’s ready to start right out of the gate, let alone better equipped than the other 5 star that’s been on campus multiple years?
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

droop10 wrote:
OG Duck wrote:
How so? You guys are just going to jump to the same conclusions again that just because a kid is a 5 star, he’s ready to start right out of the gate, let alone better equipped than the other 5 star that’s been on campus multiple years?
" the other 5 star that’s been on campus multiple years?"
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

nogerO wrote:
droop10 wrote:
OG Duck wrote:
" the other 5 star that’s been on campus multiple years?"
Yeah, is it that unreasonable for a kid not to start until his redshirt sophomore year? He will have essentially been beaten out by multiple seniors (I’m counting Nix as a senior, since he would be without the Covid year). It’s not like he’s getting jumped on the depth chart. I probably sound like a broken record, but people need to relax and let guys figure it out at their own pace, and not expect every kid to be ready to contribute meaningfully right out of the gate. That used to be the expectation, and now with recruiting becoming so big, people have lost all patience. I see so many guys called busts on here when they don’t contribute their freshman season. It’s absolutely wild.
OG Duck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OG Duck »

Thompson isn't a bust, at least not yet. But Dante Moore is more polished and appears ready for high major college football today. Thompson will be competing with Moore and Nix for that starting spot, assuming Nix sticks around for his sixth year. Unless Thompson takes a major step forward his season, he could be looking at third string. I doubt Thompson would bail immediately given a Moore commitment; it would be after seeing how the QB competition plays out. Bottom line is that if Moore commits, I would fully expect him to immediately pass Thompson on the depth chart.
webfoots2001
Two Star Recruit

Post by webfoots2001 »

OG Duck wrote:Thompson isn't a bust, at least not yet. But Dante Moore is more polished and appears ready for high major college football today. Thompson will be competing with Moore and Nix for that starting spot, assuming Nix sticks around for his sixth year. Unless Thompson takes a major step forward his season, he could be looking at third string. I doubt Thompson would bail immediately given a Moore commitment; it would be after seeing how the QB competition plays out. Bottom line is that if Moore commits, I would fully expect him to immediately pass Thompson on the depth chart.
Is this based on t-shirt and shorts Elite 11 performance (the same thing TT was excellent at)?
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

OG Duck wrote:Thompson isn't a bust, at least not yet. But Dante Moore is more polished and appears ready for high major college football today. Thompson will be competing with Moore and Nix for that starting spot, assuming Nix sticks around for his sixth year. Unless Thompson takes a major step forward his season, he could be looking at third string. I doubt Thompson would bail immediately given a Moore commitment; it would be after seeing how the QB competition plays out. Bottom line is that if Moore commits, I would fully expect him to immediately pass Thompson on the depth chart.
Moore looks more polished against high schoolers and in 7-on-7 drills. Moving up to college is a big step up, and expecting him to start day 1 is unreasonable. Nix has started he plans to only play this year regardless of how his season plays out. Obviously, there’s some small chance he sticks around, which is likely due to injury, in which case Thompson has a legit shot to get reps and pass him, or he plays poorly, in which case I don’t suspect he comes back and starts. Yes, if Moore somehow passes him on the depth chart, he’ll transfer, but your initial post basically made it a foregone conclusion that happens, which I don’t agree is realistic. That’s not to say impossible, but setting that as an expectation is unrealistic.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Completely selflessly, I think Thompson would be best off transferring to a place where he can get immediate starting reps. I think about a guy like Vernon Adams who got the starting job due to lesser intrasquad competition, and had the chance to make mistakes and grow. At Oregon, the expectations are sky high and QBs aren't given room to lose 10+ football games so they can grow. Just the realistic downside of going to a top program.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

StevensTechU wrote:Completely selflessly, I think Thompson would be best off transferring to a place where he can get immediate starting reps. I think about a guy like Vernon Adams who got the starting job due to lesser intrasquad competition, and had the chance to make mistakes and grow. At Oregon, the expectations are sky high and QBs aren't given room to lose 10+ football games so they can grow. Just the realistic downside of going to a top program.
Are people already assuming Thompson won't get the starting job? From what I've seen and read from his days at Auburn, he's an incredibly inconsistent QB. Some games, he'll play amazing; other games, he'll play terribly. I want to believe that Thompson should at least have a chance of beating someone like that.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

ducks5ever wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:Completely selflessly, I think Thompson would be best off transferring to a place where he can get immediate starting reps. I think about a guy like Vernon Adams who got the starting job due to lesser intrasquad competition, and had the chance to make mistakes and grow. At Oregon, the expectations are sky high and QBs aren't given room to lose 10+ football games so they can grow. Just the realistic downside of going to a top program.
Are people already assuming Thompson won't get the starting job? From what I've seen and read from his days at Auburn, he's an incredibly inconsistent QB. Some games, he'll play amazing; other games, he'll play terribly. I want to believe that Thompson should at least have a chance of beating someone like that.
Yeah, I think many people consider him a long shot at beating out Nix while at the same time thinking Nix is not all that great. Lots of people jumped off the Thompson train after the Spring Game. I for one think you have to "clearly" beat out the big name transfer QB that the coaches went after. To me Thompson looked like the 3rd best QB that day, but it was only one day so you'd be football ignorant to think there is no chance for a young QB to suddenly have it click. QBs having huge jumps in performance as upper classmen happen all the time, but I'd bet a nickel on Nix being the opening day starter.