Post by lukeyrid13 »

"Best" case scenario(s) now are

- Join BIG, likely with UW and be fish out of water in an 18 team conference

- Big12 and Pac join forces in a combined, mediocre conference

Neither option is that enticing TBH.
greenyellow

Re: Oh no...LA schools looking to leave for Big 10

Post by greenyellow »

I'm beginning to miss 2019/early 2020 now. Normal sports schedules, no pandemic restrictions, normal TV/movie releases, and seemingly normal social interactions/discussions.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

greenyellow wrote:I'm beginning to miss 2019/early 2020 now. Normal sports schedules, no pandemic restrictions, normal TV/movie releases, and seemingly normal social interactions/discussions.
Same...

2019 was the last normal NCAA season
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

lukeyrid13 wrote:The beauty of CFB is the pageantry of it and local pride

I'm sorry, but playing Maryland and Rutgers instead of UW and OSU is just plain dumb. We can laugh about leaving those two rivals behind and without a conference, but we truly do want them to still be in our conference.

CFB is just going to be such a sanitized version of itself as this and NIL continues. It's absolutely crazy to me, but the one thing I thought I would never lose interest in, is teetering on that happening as more and more of these changes are implemented.
Exactly how I feel. CFB is all about nostalgia for me and that just got flushed down the toilet. I’m genuinely interested to see how much I’ll follow the sport once this all plays out. It’s not going to have the same pull it used to… I’ll probably watch it how I do the NFL, where I just tune in for the best matchups.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

DuckzRule wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
Also does this mean that for now Oregon won't leave the Pac-12?
No- it just means they are not showing their hand right now. Smart move till there is something definitive. No comm went doesn't mean nothing is going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

DuckzRule wrote:Well, I'm starting to think Oregon doesn't wanna leave the Pac-12
Sorry, but how can you draw this conclusion?

DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

lmduck wrote:
DuckzRule wrote:Well, I'm starting to think Oregon doesn't wanna leave the Pac-12
Sorry, but how can you draw this conclusion?

I dunno, I think I misunderstood it

Anyways apparently Oregon and the UDumb Fuskies are applying for the B1G
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:The beauty of CFB is the pageantry of it and local pride

I'm sorry, but playing Maryland and Rutgers instead of UW and OSU is just plain dumb. We can laugh about leaving those two rivals behind and without a conference, but we truly do want them to still be in our conference.

CFB is just going to be such a sanitized version of itself as this and NIL continues. It's absolutely crazy to me, but the one thing I thought I would never lose interest in, is teetering on that happening as more and more of these changes are implemented.
Exactly how I feel. CFB is all about nostalgia for me and that just got flushed down the toilet. I’m genuinely interested to see how much I’ll follow the sport once this all plays out. It’s not going to have the same pull it used to… I’ll probably watch it how I do the NFL, where I just tune in for the best matchups.
CFB is essentially just semi-pro football at this point with all the top school joining one another in a couple conferences. The days of thinking your school had a shot at a title if things went you way (which are already sort of gone with how things have gone in previous years) are now dead. It's sort of unfair that schools like Purdue, Rutgers, Nebraska, and Northwestern are in a much stronger position just because of the conference they happened to join at the right time while traditional P5 schools will now have to scrounge around to maintain any semblance of relevance going forward.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

What should happen, is the add UCLA, USC, UW, UO, Stanford and ND. Drop Purdue, Ill, Rutgers, Maryland and Minnesota. Make those schools join with what’s left of the Pac 12. And go from there.
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

Read the whole thread but did not see thoughts on how this will affect recruiting (both FB and BB, short and long term). Also, how much of a school's desirability is tied to TV markets? It may be that flashy uniforms and being a football power ten years ago may not be as big a deal as the number of TV sets in your region.

I'm an old guy and badly miss the PAC8 and the SW Conference, a Rose Bowl that was a big deal, basketball western regionals that were all western teams, ... heck, I'm old enough to remember when Oregon was an independent playing single platoon football. At some point it is going to be like watching G League.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

I doubt this is a real source but DAMN
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

73duck wrote:Read the whole thread but did not see thoughts on how this will affect recruiting (both FB and BB, short and long term). Also, how much of a school's desirability is tied to TV markets? It may be that flashy uniforms and being a football power ten years ago may not be as big a deal as the number of TV sets in your region.

I'm an old guy and badly miss the PAC8 and the SW Conference, a Rose Bowl that was a big deal, basketball western regionals that were all western teams, ... heck, I'm old enough to remember when Oregon was an independent playing single platoon football. At some point it is going to be like watching G League.
If Oregon is not part of the two power conferences, recruiting is gonna get harder

As for tv markets…Seattle is 11 and Portland is 21 (Phoenix is 12)

DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

DuckzRule wrote:I doubt this is a real source but DAMN
Nevermind