#15 Oregon @ Washington State (Sept. 24, Sat 1 PM Fox)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: #15 Oregon @ Washington State (Sept. 24, Sat 1 PM Fox)

Post by Duck07 »

buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

73duck wrote:Even given the circumstances of a ridiculously lucky win, and Lanning's normally positive demeanor, you could tell that he was really unhappy with the defense (he was giddy about the offense). Also, the WSU head coach in postgame mentioned that they tried three trick plays and hit on all three. How often does that happen against a well-coached team? The season started with seven TDs on seven possessions, with little improvement since then, with maybe Oregon's most talented roster ever. I wonder if Lanning is planning to get more personally involved.

But Nix and Franklin; wow!

Again, I think **** rating and actual talent are two different things. Our best player on D is a 2* transfer from CU. If not for Lanning going out and getting the two DL from Nebraska and Gonzo, we would be in a world of hurt. Flowe and Sewell have been really disappointing. Funa had one great play, but those 3 can’t cover a paper bag. And the pass rush has been slowly coming together, but there really is no dynamic pass rusher on this team. I think there was a lot of mis evaluation by the previous staff in recruiting, and Lanning is just trying to survive until he can get his guys onto the roster.
bdkipe
Two Star Recruit

Post by bdkipe »

The fact that WSU had to pull out three trick plays speaks to the respect they had for how our D was playing.

Dickert also said in his postgame presser that Ward was not having time to go through his full progressions.

Ward was a magician at times and sometimes you just gotta tip your cap to the guy. Our D had it contained and he’s pull an otherworldly play out of his arse.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I wonder where we would be if Lanning had had a real chance to convince McKinley and Wright to stay around. Especially Wright. What an horrible decision to leave.
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

Our HC was a great DC and our DC is a great recruiter.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

73duck wrote:Our HC was a great DC and our DC is a great recruiter.
I just don't see a need to be this negative four games in.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Went back and read this thread starting at page 18. What a rollercoaster.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

Duck07 wrote:
73duck wrote:Our HC was a great DC and our DC is a great recruiter.
I just don't see a need to be this negative four games in.
Agree and we seem to be forgetting that a couple of coaches in the past regime were not good recruiters, especially Salavea. I know he was extremely well liked, but let's be honest he was not a good recruiter and maybe not even that good of a DL coach so Lanning and Tosh are working with what they have at the moment.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

buckmarkduck wrote:I wonder where we would be if Lanning had had a real chance to convince McKinley and Wright to stay around. Especially Wright. What an horrible decision to leave.
The concensus inside the AD is these guys got very bad advice about coming out. Both should have stayed.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

lmduck wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:I wonder where we would be if Lanning had had a real chance to convince McKinley and Wright to stay around. Especially Wright. What an horrible decision to leave.
The concensus inside the AD is these guys got very bad advice about coming out. Both should have stayed.

I’ve heard Wright has been streaming himself playing video games, trying to make money that way. I think he had tons of potential but Felds system did him and everyone no favors in the speed development department.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

buckmarkduck wrote:
lmduck wrote:

I’ve heard Wright has been streaming himself playing video games, trying to make money that way. I think he had tons of potential but Felds system did him and everyone no favors in the speed development department.
Speed? Who the hell cares about speed! IT’S ALL ABOUT FILLING THOSE SLEEVES! FLEX FRIDAY BABY!!!! WOOOOO!
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
lmduck wrote:

Speed? Who the hell cares about speed! IT’S ALL ABOUT FILLING THOSE SLEEVES! FLEX FRIDAY BABY!!!! WOOOOO!
No intent to fan any flames here, just offering up some thoughts. There are many who felt Feld's training methods led to too many injuries. I personally am not a judge of this since I did not play football so please take it FWIW. But, apparently Miami has suffered a rash of injuries and some are questioning the off season training program. Maybe Feld was all flash and no substance although there were many fans who were thrilled when it was announced he was coming to UO. Again I have no expertise in this area, just repeating what is out on the internet and some rumblings that I heard.

On a whole separate issue, many Miami fans on their message boards have not yet figured out why Feld is never more than a foot away from MC on the sidelines on game day. I guess no one has told them that MC has a very hot temper and Feld's main job on game day is to stay close to him and keep him from exploding. I was surprised when I was told that by someone inside the AD. And if you recall his blowup with Kris Hutson during the Az game last year when he literally unloaded on KH on national TV it was pretty ugly. that was not received well by many of the 'very big donors'. Read into that what you will.

I also heard from a well placed source that Feld's act was wearing very thin with the players.

All water under the bridge now but it is nice to not see Love running around on the sidelines and seeking attention.
spacefrog13x
Three Star Recruit

Post by spacefrog13x »

lmduck wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
lmduck wrote:

No intent to fan any flames here, just offering up some thoughts. There are many who felt Feld's training methods led to too many injuries. I personally am not a judge of this since I did not play football so please take it FWIW. But, apparently Miami has suffered a rash of injuries and some are questioning the off season training program. Maybe Feld was all flash and no substance although there were many fans who were thrilled when it was announced he was coming to UO. Again I have no expertise in this area, just repeating what is out on the internet and some rumblings that I heard.

On a whole separate issue, many Miami fans on their message boards have not yet figured out why Feld is never more than a foot away from MC on the sidelines on game day. I guess no one has told them that MC has a very hot temper and Feld's main job on game day is to stay close to him and keep him from exploding. I was surprised when I was told that by someone inside the AD. And if you recall his blowup with Kris Hutson during the Az game last year when he literally unloaded on KH on national TV it was pretty ugly. that was not received well by many of the 'very big donors'. Read into that what you will.

I also heard from a well placed source that Feld's act was wearing very thin with the players.

All water under the bridge now but it is nice to not see Love running around on the sidelines and seeking attention.
I know a couple current players through a friend in the athletic department. Can confirm everything above. The players didnt really care about the Kris Hutson thing, EXCEPT that it was done in public. and MC had a big thing about keeping things inside the family, so for that to happen in public was seen by a lot of the upper classman as a betrayal of the teams culture.

Mycah Pittman isnt the only skill player who almost left either. There was a lot of stuff behind the scenes to keep the Franklin, Thornton, and a few others from hitting the transfer portal. if MC would have stayed another year I think you would have seen the results of that.

For his part Anthony Brown was a good leader in that he led by example in practice. It really killed guys on the team who followed social media with the way he was treated by the fans and outsiders.
When he was called out publicly for missing a read that would have resulted in a TD at Stanford that was also a big deal internally on the team.

MC did do a lot of good things here. He raised the expectations recrutiing wise. He rebuilt a culture that was in my ex-marine fathers terms "raggedy ass". He also got a lot of guys who were borderline academically to actually buy in and be decent students.

He was that coach to take us from bad to good, and now hopefully we have the coach to take us from good to great. time will tell though.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

spacefrog13x wrote:
lmduck wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
lmduck wrote:

I know a couple current players through a friend in the athletic department. Can confirm everything above. The players didnt really care about the Kris Hutson thing, EXCEPT that it was done in public. and MC had a big thing about keeping things inside the family, so for that to happen in public was seen by a lot of the upper classman as a betrayal of the teams culture.

Mycah Pittman isnt the only skill player who almost left either. There was a lot of stuff behind the scenes to keep the Franklin, Thornton, and a few others from hitting the transfer portal. if MC would have stayed another year I think you would have seen the results of that.

For his part Anthony Brown was a good leader in that he led by example in practice. It really killed guys on the team who followed social media with the way he was treated by the fans and outsiders.
When he was called out publicly for missing a read that would have resulted in a TD at Stanford that was also a big deal internally on the team.

MC did do a lot of good things here. He raised the expectations recrutiing wise. He rebuilt a culture that was in my ex-marine fathers terms "raggedy ass". He also got a lot of guys who were borderline academically to actually buy in and be decent students.

He was that coach to take us from bad to good, and now hopefully we have the coach to take us from good to great. time will tell though.
Excellent summary and I too heard that the players you mentioned above would have left if MC stayed along with others. You are also 100% right about the Hutson thing. EVERYONE who mattered inside the AD was pi$$ed at the way Mario handled that. Hutson did a dumb thing for sure but the way to handle that would have been privately.

There are some in positions of stature both inside and outside the AD who think that the Hutson thing along with the social media backlash of AB and Miami reaching out to MC AFTER the Ohio State game and Mario listening broke the culture as well.

The other thing that did not sit well with some was after the Cal game and the booing episode MC's interaction with the media became much more terse. I know Crepea can be irritating and it's pretty well known MC intensely disliked him, but his attitude toward Crepea spilled over to other media people and that was not good. It was being watched by people inside the AD.

MC did raise the standard with recruiting and for that he should be commended.

Again all water under the bridge.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

I don’t think a Mario coached team wins that WSU game, for a variety of reasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk