Grades through 4 games

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

gogreen55
Senior

Re: Grades through 4 games

Post by gogreen55 »

On offense, Nix and the running backs have been way better than I was expecting before the season began. I didn't have a great deal of confidence in Troy Franklin stepping up and becoming a true #1 receiver this year, so that has been another pleasant development. Conversely, I thought Seven McGee was going to have a bigger role in the offense and he is not much of a factor at all.

I'll knock the QB position (Nix is the only one that matters) down to an A- just because of a small handful of catastrophic plays he has had, but he has been about as close to perfect as you could hope for other than that. As for the running backs, Bucky deserves a solid A and the others have been good. Maybe in terms of actual "running talent" the group would get a B+ overall, but I would bump them up to an A- due to their exceptional ball security (knock on wood), which is the most important aspect of all. The WR/TE group gets an A. The OL gets whatever top grade you can give.

The defense has been on the disappointing end of the spectrum. It hasn't been a complete disaster or anything, particularly when you lose a key piece like Popo before the season begins. If Popo were in the mix and they were still this mediocre, I would give the unit a C or C+. Given the personnel they have to work with, I'd bump it up to a B-.

I would give the coaching a B+. The offense has been better than expected, the defense a little worse than expected. There haven't been any mind boggling gaffes in terms of game management. Overall, a very solid start for an inexperienced staff.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

D Line gets a C
S and CB grade C - they play soft and miss so many tackles. I am thankful for Martinez.
LB also get a C
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

rockthief wrote:D Line gets a C
S and CB grade C - they play soft and miss so many tackles. I am thankful for Martinez.
LB also get a C

It’s tough to give the DLine a C, when teams can’t run on them. In 4 games UGA -138, EWU-100 BYU-61 WSU-53. I’d say a B. And vs WSU we had 11 hurries and 4 sacks. If WSU was able to run the ball, no way we get the ball back and go up late. Also who is Martinez?
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

buckmarkduck wrote:
rockthief wrote:D Line gets a C
LB also get a C
It’s tough to give the DLine a C, when teams can’t run on them. In 4 games UGA -138, EWU-100 BYU-61 WSU-53. I’d say a B. And vs WSU we had 11 hurries and 4 sacks. If WSU was able to run the ball, no way we get the ball back and go up late. Also who is Martinez?
That is what i get when I post when I feel poorly. You are correct. I meant Gonzalez. Manning has made some plays. Thanks for the response. I thnk i amend the D line to a B. I will bet they improve a whole lot the next couple of games.