Oregon RB Depth Chart

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Re: Oregon RB Depth Chart

Post by lmduck »

Everythingsducky wrote:Loved Cardwell last season, and would love to see more of him. But nobody knows if he is having issues. Those being in the classroom, not in the film room regularly, showing up on time to meetings, etc. There could be myriad reasons, and maybe it is just health. Coaches will always have favorites, but it is incumbent on each player (if they have aspirations beyond college), to make themselves a favorite, and stay out of the HC’s doghouse. Not insinuating anything, but it could be a plethora of things off the field as to why his PT has been reduced.
Given we don't see practice it's hard to make the assumption that there is favoritism. Like you said, there could be things we don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

She was also saying he was perfectly healthy and good to go for the game. Some of the beat reporters were saying he was in pads for the game but hadn’t practiced all week. Obviously if you can’t practice you aren’t going to play, which I think was Lanning’s point.

gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

You mean not all 5 scholarship running backs are thrilled with their playing time? Talk about the least surprising development of the season. The only possible way this wouldn't happen is if there were multiple injuries at the position, which naturally resolves the snap crunch.

I would love for all of these running backs to stick around for their full college eligibility, since you never know when a depth crisis could hit the position. That being said, we have seen enough already to know we are going to be just fine at the running back position for the next couple years (barring catastrophic injuries), even if both Cardwell and Dollars were to decide to take their talents elsewhere. More evenly spreading out the 5 running back scholarships by class (4 of them are sophomores at the moment) wouldn't be such a bad thing.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:I’ve met 100s of people who would have been stars, but the coach played favorites.
Lol.

I think Cardwell could do better with those carries than Whittington; Cardwell is at 6.9 ypc while Whittington is at 5.1. But to your earlier point, Whittington is playing really well and you don’t move a guy down the depth chart who’s playing as well as he is.

The ironic thing about his mom complaining on Twitter is she was very vocal about him being loyal to the team during the coaching change.

Any time I see drama posted on Facebook I automatically assume it’s going to be slanted to the posters’ opinion and probably not a view of both sides of the situation. Mama might be making the decisions for him. She an experienced RB coach and all…
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

Whittington is way shiftier than Cardwell, both have pretty good vision and patience, but Whittington is ready and willing to run through people despite his size.

They’re both good, IMO, Whittington is a better complement to Bucky right now

justin_f
One Star Recruit

Post by justin_f »

chapelhillduck wrote:Whittington is way shiftier than Cardwell, both have pretty good vision and patience, but Whittington is ready and willing to run through people despite his size.

They’re both good, IMO, Whittington is a better complement to Bucky right now

Agree. Cardwell is super slow.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Pretty clear where the RB depth stands when Cardwell doesn't even get into the game in a blowout.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Cardwell is hurt. I don’t understand why people are so concerned about his PT.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

buckmarkduck wrote:Cardwell is hurt. I don’t understand why people are so concerned about his PT.
Bc his mom likes to make Twitter comments that suggest the opposite

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

chapelhillduck wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:Cardwell is hurt. I don’t understand why people are so concerned about his PT.
Bc his mom likes to make Twitter comments that suggest the opposite
He did suit up last night too but right now its clear we look pretty stocked at RB in the Dilly-Dilly Offense so hopefully it will bring out the competitiveness in him because that's the level all of the position groups need to get to for us to actually compete for a NC, not just hope we can make the playoff.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

At the end of the day, I’m way more concerned sleuth keeping Dowdell than I am keeping Cardwell.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

buckmarkduck wrote:At the end of the day, I’m way more concerned sleuth keeping Dowdell than I am keeping Cardwell.
Curious what your analysis of Dowdell is. Everything I’ve seen of him is him more or less running untouched in a straight line to the end zone. Just seems like he’s way bigger and faster than everyone he’s playing against so you don’t get to see what his vision and moves are like.

buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

It’s tough to say, unless we could watch a full game on him. But he’s 6’2 220, and get to full speed much faster than either Blount or Freeman did. And I never see anyone running him down from behind. I also think he plays against better competition than people out here give him credit for . At least better than anything PacNW kids are playing against in HS. You can’t teach size and speed, both of which he has. Next years RB rotation should be a lot of fun. But from what I’ve seen, he has good vision already, solid speed and can obviously run over 180 HS LBs.

I just hope he is physical day 1 at UO, and doesn’t take a year trying to bounce outside and outrunning Power 5 defenders like some big kids do. It never works out for them, the same way it did in HS. But comparing him to JStew, his vision looks to be ahead of where Jonathan was at the same point. I remember Cam had to use a laser and a dark room to help Stew with his vision.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

buckmarkduck wrote:It’s tough to say, unless we could watch a full game on him. But he’s 6’2 220, and get to full speed much faster than either Blount or Freeman did. And I never see anyone running him down from behind. I also think he plays against better competition than people out here give him credit for . At least better than anything PacNW kids are playing against in HS. You can’t teach size and speed, both of which he has. Next years RB rotation should be a lot of fun. But from what I’ve seen, he has good vision already, solid speed and can obviously run over 180 HS LBs.

I just hope he is physical day 1 at UO, and doesn’t take a year trying to bounce outside and outrunning Power 5 defenders like some big kids do. It never works out for them, the same way it did in HS. But comparing him to JStew, his vision looks to be ahead of where Jonathan was at the same point. I remember Cam had to use a laser and a dark room to help Stew with his vision.
That’s a good point. Should be a great compliment to the guys we currently have.

JStew was the most extreme example you’ll ever find. His HS tape was hilarious.