LBs

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Re: LBs

Post by lmduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:The only LB’s on the roster that have the size and speed to consistently make plays were Sewell and Flowe, but both really seem to be low IQ players. Sewell stands like a statue on pass defense and like a previous poster said overruns a ton. Flowe just starts running with the hope of hitting someone with 0 patience or awareness of where the ball actually is. Bassa seems to have good instincts but is too small and slow to make the plays, especially in pass coverage. Funa is big but way too slow. Keith Brown from my perspective has the most upside of any of the LB’s.

While the DLine did get manhandled by the OSU OLine sadly, there were quite a few run plays in the second half that would’ve been 3-4 yards instead of 15+ with decent LB play.

Size and speed? Sewell, LaDuke, and Brown are all the prototype. Flowe and Bassa have speed to burn and ample (albeit not perfect) size. Taggart and Jackson are on their way with more time in the nutrition program.
How about Brown and Funa? And interesting to hear about LaDuke, he always looked slow to me, but you know way more than I do! It’s just weird talking about the LB’s cause there’s so many names but I feel like the only two I see consistently on the field are Sewell and Bassa, or rather the only two getting their names called consistently.

Also, what are your thoughts on Tosh? How much is he and Lanning to blame for the LB play?
Lanning and Tosh had a lot of bad habits to break in that group. Long term
project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Sounds like a Tosh problem to me..
Tough to say it's him. Could be bad coaching previously and they're was too many bad habits to coach out of them. Could be low football iq, or poor field vision. Some of them may be uncoachable, or it could be something else, or a combination of everything. I'd say give him more time with a new group of linebackers before saying it's Tosh. If I'm being honest, i haven't been overly impressed with Oregon's LBs the past few seasons. Last year was the same issues. Poor tackling, and the middle of the field was frequently open, especially in 3rd down.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I really wish I had more of an opinion. On the one hand, it seems like really good defensive coordinators often have an immediate impact in year 1, then a much larger impact on year 2. At the same time, I don't like the idea of judging anyone on less than a season (for better or for worse). So while I feel skeptical that Tosh is the guy based on this year's performance fe, I'm officially in the "to be determined" crowd.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

squintsdd wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:Sounds like a Tosh problem to me..
Tough to say it's him. Could be bad coaching previously and they're was too many bad habits to coach out of them. Could be low football iq, or poor field vision. Some of them may be uncoachable, or it could be something else, or a combination of everything. I'd say give him more time with a new group of linebackers before saying it's Tosh. If I'm being honest, i haven't been overly impressed with Oregon's LBs the past few seasons. Last year was the same issues. Poor tackling, and the middle of the field was frequently open, especially in 3rd down.
Combination of everything. The bulk of which falls on the previous regime. As stated before there were lots of bad habits as a result of bad coaching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

StevensTechU wrote:I really wish I had more of an opinion. On the one hand, it seems like really good defensive coordinators often have an immediate impact in year 1, then a much larger impact on year 2. At the same time, I don't like the idea of judging anyone on less than a season (for better or for worse). So while I feel skeptical that Tosh is the guy based on this year's performance fe, I'm officially in the "to be determined" crowd.
There's something to be said for having an off-season to watch yourself in the scheme you're being coached in. Does the way in which they've been coached lead to them naturally self-correcting bad habits? Do they recognize their reads faster and understand situational down/distance better? etc
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I have yet to see/hear a convincing argument for what the issues is with our LBs/edge players. If we’re going to blame coaching though, then that blame has to land squarely on Lanning’s shoulders. He’s a proven play caller and LB coach so if there really is all this talent at the position just waiting to be coached up then you have to blame Lanning as much as, if not more than, Tosh.

I lean towards it being a player issue; how many of these guys are early round draft picks? Generally stars equal talent but there are exceptions.

I don’t have an answer but I’m looking forward to seeing the product over the next couple seasons. Only time will tell, IMO.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:I have yet to see/hear a convincing argument for what the issues is with our LBs/edge players. If we’re going to blame coaching though, then that blame has to land squarely on Lanning’s shoulders. He’s a proven play caller and LB coach so if there really is all this talent at the position just waiting to be coached up then you have to blame Lanning as much as, if not more than, Tosh.

I lean towards it being a player issue; how many of these guys are early round draft picks? Generally stars equal talent but there are exceptions.

I don’t have an answer but I’m looking forward to seeing the product over the next couple seasons. Only time will tell, IMO.

We have no explosive edge players. Really need to focus on the portal so we can fix the edge and LB issues. We’ve seemed to focus on DL in recruiting this cycle.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

buckmarkduck wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:I have yet to see/hear a convincing argument for what the issues is with our LBs/edge players. If we’re going to blame coaching though, then that blame has to land squarely on Lanning’s shoulders. He’s a proven play caller and LB coach so if there really is all this talent at the position just waiting to be coached up then you have to blame Lanning as much as, if not more than, Tosh.

We have no explosive edge players. Really need to focus on the portal so we can fix the edge and LB issues. We’ve seemed to focus on DL in recruiting this cycle.
And in Lanning's ideal scheme there needs to be explosive edge players.

Also remember that Mario and Salavea whiffed on a number of DL recruits during their time at UO and we saw the results of that this year.
dthomas=ddixon

LBs

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

lmduck wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:

And in Lanning's ideal scheme there needs to be explosive edge players.

Also remember that Mario and Salavea whiffed on a number of DL recruits during their time at UO and we saw the results of that this year.
100%. I keep seeing/hearing the criticisms of Tosh prefaced by, “With all the talent on this roster…” and I just don’t think that’s accurate. Stars don’t tell the whole story.