Civil War: #10 Oregon @ #22 OSU (Nov. 26, Sat 12:30 PM ABC)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Re: Civil War: #10 Oregon @ #22 OSU (Nov. 26, Sat 12:30 PM A

Post by lmduck »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Random day after optimistic post, Lanning literally had to deal with a lot of adversity his first year, he’s being forced to grow up fast and I’m confident he will. He’s dealt with his first major blowout loss, two lost rivalry games, first bit choke job/bad loss, and just lost his top assistant to a conference foe. It doesn’t get much tougher than that for a first year, but he’s gonna fight through it and be better for it and so will Oregon football.
I don’t think there’s a ton of reason to be worried about our future. Yesterday should give you a little pause about Lanning and this staff but I agree, he’ll learn from it and do everything he can to fix what happened. He’s a huge “growth mindset” guy so he doesn’t run away from self-examination.

That doesn’t change the fact that yesterday was legitimately one of the worst losses of my lifetime. Been watching since I was 9 (1999); I’m 32 now, and that was the most pathetic effort I’ve ever seen. Even worse than the team quitting at Reser when it started raining in Helf’s last year, or the Alamo bowl loss, because there was no reason for it. We were dominating and our players flat out quit playing, especially our defense.

21 point lead with 4 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and you allow 28 points when the other team doesn’t even attempt a pass? It doesn’t even feel real. It’s the type of thing that gets coaches fired.

Now, was it mostly the fault of this staff or the crappy culture left over from Cristobal? Only time will tell but, while the current staff isn’t blameless, I lean towards the latter. I expect a lot of defensive guys will be encouraged to hit the portal and a serious revamping to done on that side of the ball. This team under MC was on a serious downward trend and there’s only so much a new staff can do in one year. Between the portal and this next recruiting class we’ll likely see a drastically different team next year.
Valid points but I will disagree respectfully on one of them, the team
did not quit in anyway yesterday like in 2016.

I also think you are right, DL , unlike his
predecessor will evaluate things and make the necessary changes. You are spot on in that it's called growth and Dan will embrace it as a challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Bud Lee wrote:Today sucks :cry:
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

My thoughts on what failed yesterday is in multiple areas, in no order, all contributed;

Nix is hurt and not mobile and some passes were off.

Special teams sucked, muffed punt, ball bounces straight up on kick off ( is there fault? I think we could have handle thing better, blocked kick and recovery.

The defensive front seven was terrible at stopping the run.

Coaching, in particular, OC, DC, Special Teams and DL

I have been a Duck fan for many, many years, to blow that lead with those kind of mistakes was a real shot to the gut……. I like and believe in our young, new, inexperienced head coach, he will learn and make corrections to his team and staff.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

The Washington and Oregon State losses this year were some of the hardest to swallow in the history of 21st century ducks football.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Another game of Flowe either making zero impact, or playing sparingly. Could easily see him in the portal.
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

The last time we lost to both UW and OSU in the same year was Helfrich's last season here. Before that, the last time we lost to both of them was in...2002.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Aside from constantly shooting ourselves in the foot with a canon, we couldn't get anything going in the fourth quarter and couldn't stop their running game even though everyone know they were going to run the ball. And all the little things seems to go OSU's way.

I wonder if our special teams coach is on the hot seat? He was praised as one of the best special teams coaches in the nation before he came to Oregon. You can blame the kicking on not having the right legs, but kick/punt return and coverage teams have seen a huge drop off from the previous years.

We've felt the negative effects of ST in games this year and it greatly contributed to our total collapse last Saturday. Those ST blunders significantly kills your team's momentum and rejuvenates the opposition.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

alxtw wrote:Aside from constantly shooting ourselves in the foot with a canon, we couldn't get anything going in the fourth quarter and couldn't stop their running game even though everyone know they were going to run the ball. And all the little things seems to go OSU's way.

I wonder if our special teams coach is on the hot seat? He was praised as one of the best special teams coaches in the nation before he came to Oregon. You can blame the kicking on not having the right legs, but kick/punt return and coverage teams have seen a huge drop off from the previous years.

We've felt the negative effects of ST in games this year and it greatly contributed to our total collapse last Saturday. Those ST blunders significantly kills your team's momentum and rejuvenates the opposition.
One very simple ST improvement would be easy to implement. No kick off returns unless caught outside the 10 yard line. We had way too many returns that ended well inside the 25 yard line. That’s just giving away yards. Add in the chance of injury and it doesn’t make sense to return the ball.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I think I've shared this here before, but long ago former Oregon track coach Bill Dellinger told me that 95 percent of winning a race is preparation. The other 5 percent, he said, is luck.

I've always loved his philosophy because it highlights the importance of preparation -- of taking full advantage of that 95 percent that's within your control.

On the other hand, there's that pesky 5 percent. It can go either way, Dellinger said. In a race, maybe your top competitor falls and twists an ankle. Or maybe it's you who wakes up that day with a migraine or a stomach bug.

I feel the Ducks were generally well-prepared all season long. The playcalling and the effort against OSU seemed to be fine. I mean, we were LEADING by three scores around the end of the third quarter, and OSU wasn't crapping the bed. We were the dominant team and we were taking care of business.

But then that 5 percent of bad luck showed up in a big way -- a single blown punt coverage, a dropped punt, that kickoff that bounced the wrong way, OSU catching its own fumble at the goal line, and, of course, Nix being just hobbled enough that he couldn't take the game over. The Beaver run game was excellent, and our linebackers definitely got exposed, but the Beavers only had enough clock to come back because of our freakishly bad luck (and their astounding good luck). Oregon State doesn't win that game unless that fourth quarter happens *exactly* the way that it did.

Sucks that we lost, but sometimes you've just got to bury it and ride off from it.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

pezsez1 wrote:I think I've shared this here before, but long ago former Oregon track coach Bill Dellinger told me that 95 percent of winning a race is preparation. The other 5 percent, he said, is luck.

I've always loved his philosophy because it highlights the importance of preparation -- of taking full advantage of that 95 percent that's within your control.

On the other hand, there's that pesky 5 percent. It can go either way, Dellinger said. In a race, maybe your top competitor falls and twists an ankle. Or maybe it's you who wakes up that day with a migraine or a stomach bug.

I feel the Ducks were generally well-prepared all season long. The playcalling and the effort against OSU seemed to be fine. I mean, we were LEADING by three scores around the end of the third quarter, and OSU wasn't crapping the bed. We were the dominant team and we were taking care of business.

But then that 5 percent of bad luck showed up in a big way -- a single blown punt coverage, a dropped punt, that kickoff that bounced the wrong way, OSU catching its own fumble at the goal line, and, of course, Nix being just hobbled enough that he couldn't take the game over. The Beaver run game was excellent, and our linebackers definitely got exposed, but the Beavers only had enough clock to come back because of our freakishly bad luck (and their astounding good luck). Oregon State doesn't win that game unless that fourth quarter happens *exactly* the way that it did.

Sucks that we lost, but sometimes you've just got to bury it and ride off from it.
Spot on assessment Pez. I totally agree with you that Oregon was a much better prepared team ALL season. I can't recall one time they played down to their opponent like in the past. With the exception of a couple of times clock management was very good and the big one for me was half time adjustments. The previous regime seemed incapable of making half time adjustments and it used to drive me crazy. No need to discuss past clock management issues.

Yes, Lanning made some mistakes and gambled one time too many but I have 100% confidence he will learn and grow from it. Again, unlike his predecessor he seems to be an introspective guy and I have heard from AD people he seeks advice and guidance. I have heard that he has reached out to Bellotti on several occasions. Fact or fiction, who knows but it would not surprise me that he has done that.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

pezsez1 wrote:I think I've shared this here before, but long ago former Oregon track coach Bill Dellinger told me that 95 percent of winning a race is preparation. The other 5 percent, he said, is luck.

Good observation and philosophy.

I was thinking about that this weekend in relation to OSU's season. 9-3. Incredible, right?

Here's the thing: OSU was 3 plays away from being 6-6. Think their mood is as festive at 6-6? Not a chance.

Let's look back ...
- Game-winning 2pt Conversation on the final play at Fresno St.
- Hail Mary pass at Stanford in the closing seconds with the Stanford safety taking the worst angle possible to allow the score
- Oregon not converting a 4th and Goal from the 3 with under 2 minutes to go

On the flip side, Oregon could be 11-1 and heading into a showdown against USC, except ...
- Whittingham literally slips on 4th down
- Bo injures his ankle on 3rd and Goal from the 5
- Punter fumbles the snap at the 1, leading to an OSU touchdown

The bottom line is: You're never as good as you think you are and you're never quite as bad as you think you are, either.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

DmoneyDuck wrote:

Good observation and philosophy.

I was thinking about that this weekend in relation to OSU's season. 9-3. Incredible, right?

Here's the thing: OSU was 3 plays away from being 6-6. Think their mood is as festive at 6-6? Not a chance.

Let's look back ...
- Game-winning 2pt Conversation on the final play at Fresno St.
- Hail Mary pass at Stanford in the closing seconds with the Stanford safety taking the worst angle possible to allow the score
- Oregon not converting a 4th and Goal from the 3 with under 2 minutes to go

On the flip side, Oregon could be 11-1 and heading into a showdown against USC, except ...
- Whittingham literally slips on 4th down
- Bo injures his ankle on 3rd and Goal from the 5
- Punter fumbles the snap at the 1, leading to an OSU touchdown

The bottom line is: You're never as good as you think you are and you're never quite as bad as you think you are, either.
Another spot on assessment- kudos to you and Pez and yes, it's never as bad as it seems or as good as it seems.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

just watched the highlights and we were up 31-10.... unreal.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

dd10snoop28 wrote:just watched the highlights and we were up 31-10.... unreal.
Very brave of you to watch. I literally deleted it the minute it was over

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

lmduck wrote:
dd10snoop28 wrote:just watched the highlights and we were up 31-10.... unreal.
Very brave of you to watch. I literally deleted it the minute it was over

My closest friend who is a much bigger duck fan than me also watches losses, I don’t understand. He even watched a replay of the 2015 national championship.