Who should Oregon hire at OC? - (EDIT) Looks like it’s UTSA OC Will Stein

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: Who should Oregon hire at OC? - (EDIT) Looks like it’s U

Post by StevensTechU »

Yep, one of the "problems" with being highly paid is that you have to reach high expectations or you're gone. Tosh hasn't earned it so far, for sure. Probably means a short leash to start year 2, and gone at year-end if the results aren't there.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

pezsez1 wrote:
People’s main gripe seems to be the staff not utilizing all the talent on this D. I think fans just get enamored with players based on their star rating out of HS, and have a hard time realizing that their actual performance when they get here is a better indicator of their abilities. The defense is full of highly rated guys that simply aren’t as good as their recruiting ranking. If 3 years in the guy still can’t get on the field or looks terrible whenever he does, he probably just isn’t that good.
I agree, but probably the one thing that gives me pause is Sewell's regression. He was outstanding the past two years, and this year was virtually a non-factor. That's a bit concerning.

That said, we all saw Lanning's defenses at Georgia and the man clearly knows how to coach on that side of the ball. If I had to blindly place blame for the issues with our D, I'll blame Tosh far more than I'd blame Lanning. I don't know Tosh's details as much as others probably do, but I don't recall him being a part of an overwhelmingly good defensive unit.
Two things on Sewell: 1. He was dealing with some sort of lower leg injury much of the season. He clearly looked better during the last 1/3 of the season.

2. The previous scheme put the ILBs in a position to make all the tackles. The new scheme is different and the ILB production was always going to be less. What we saw was none of them other than Bassa could consistently do their job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jimmy12
Senior

Who should Oregon hire at OC? - (EDIT) Looks like it’s UTSA

Post by jimmy12 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:
People’s main gripe seems to be the staff not utilizing all the talent on this D. I think fans just get enamored with players based on their star rating out of HS, and have a hard time realizing that their actual performance when they get here is a better indicator of their abilities. The defense is full of highly rated guys that simply aren’t as good as their recruiting ranking. If 3 years in the guy still can’t get on the field or looks terrible whenever he does, he probably just isn’t that good.
I agree, but probably the one thing that gives me pause is Sewell's regression. He was outstanding the past two years, and this year was virtually a non-factor. That's a bit concerning.

That said, we all saw Lanning's defenses at Georgia and the man clearly knows how to coach on that side of the ball. If I had to blindly place blame for the issues with our D, I'll blame Tosh far more than I'd blame Lanning. I don't know Tosh's details as much as others probably do, but I don't recall him being a part of an overwhelmingly good defensive unit.
Two things on Sewell: 1. He was dealing with some sort of lower leg injury much of the season. He clearly looked better during the last 1/3 of the season.

2. The previous scheme put the ILBs in a position to make all the tackles. The new scheme is different and the ILB production was always going to be less. What we saw was none of them other than Bassa could consistently do their job.

If this is the case, why was Bassa the second lowest rated LB in the Pac-12 this season?
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

jimmy12 wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:

If this is the case, why was Bassa the second lowest rated LB in the Pac-12 this season?
He was in position but failed to make most plays in the run game. By do his job, I meant follow his assignment. He was the only linebacker who grasped the scheme last year, but struggled to finish plays because of his size, and thus graded out very poorly.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Did Stein coach in their bowl game yesterday?
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

karlhungis wrote:Did Stein coach in their bowl game yesterday?
No
OrTDuck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OrTDuck »

I am beginning to think the "Georgia defense" is probably one most of college football would love to play; but, many are learning, or have learned, is tough to play without the kind of talent 97% of college football doesn't have.

A defensive front that can hold the line and generate pressure just rushing most 3-4, versatile LBs who can hold up against the run but move and play freely in space; and, a ball hawking secondary, regularly flooding the zones with bodies.

Great to have a bunch of elite kids up front who can control the LOS and 7-8 guys behind them turned loose to cover and run around and make plays.

What happens if you have DL talent, but no really strong individual pass rushers? (I think the UW's defense was held together this year in part with chicken wire and three very good individual pass rushers in Trice, ZTF, and Martin -- two three stars and a third guy ranked #254). What happens if you have two big LBs who only look comfortable playing in the box and a third LB who is still to small to play in the box; and, then have 2/5 of a secondary who can consistently do what you need them to do?

If the Duck D gets one more year out of KT, McKinley, and Wright (or even DJ James), it might have been closer to pulling it together; but, even then, I'm not completely sold it excels.

I just wonder when the Beavers can put together a competent defense with 11 guys Oregon (basically) chose not to recruit, is this staff is married to a concept it may not have the firepower to run, unless maybe it moves the university into the middle of SEC country (and maybe wins a NC) first?

Looking at "fit" and possible improvement next year, I don't know where the pass rush comes from, I question the LB problem being completely fixed, CBs will be an issue until they show they aren't; and, I don't think the Ducks got anywhere close to enough out of 3/4 of the safeties they regularly played (3 of which likely return and pencil in as starters). Riley also was a big body in the front and I think was mostly ok there -- Popo may return there which would be good; but, again possibly a player one size to small for what the staff would prefer there (Jayson Jones sticking around possibly more a fit).

It will be interesting how soon both portal and young guys move into rolls on D early next year, given an off season for the staff to pick it all apart.